Page 1 of 3
Firstly - i apologise for my spelling of nessecery (im dyslexic)

Secondly, onto the point -

So ARE 24 fret necks REALLY that awsome ?, i mean you can reach the 23 and 24 fret on a 22 fret neck by bending up at 22, so whats your opinions on this subject, i find it quite puzzling.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I find the fact that you posted this in the guitar gear and accessories for quite puzzling
Well if you can reach the 23 and 24 fret by bending on a 22 fret, you can reach the 25 and 26 frets by bending on a 24 fret.

But it just gives you a little more room without actually running into the guitar's body.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Well if you can reach the 23 and 24 fret by bending on a 22 fret, you can reach the 25 and 26 frets by bending on a 24 fret.

But it just gives you a little more room without actually running into the guitar's body.

damn, u beat me to it
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
yeah i have a 21fret strat and a 24 fret jackson, and im definately more comfortable with 24 being there..more area i find to work obv
indeed, and i posted it because it is to do with a GUITAR which is gUITAR GEAR

yeah i love my 24 fret ibanez and i feel comfortable playing it, but i also love strats and im thinkin i may be uncomfortable playin in a 22 fret world, also there doesnt seem to be as many 24 fret guitars as there are 21 and 22, which is quite dissapoitning lol
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I may have come off as a dick but I think this would go in elictric guitar. I think this forum is more to do with amps, effects, strings and that sort of stuff
lol its cool man, i didnt really knwo if this was the right place but i was in here anyway and it seemed kindfa relevent
Guitars
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
a 24 fret length guiatr is also an easier bender, the strings have a greater distance between the nut and bridge making them slinkier, making bending, well, easier..!!
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by olix99
Firstly - i apologise for my spelling of nessecery (im dyslexic)

Secondly, onto the point -

So ARE 24 fret necks REALLY that awsome ?, i mean you can reach the 23 and 24 fret on a 22 fret neck by bending up at 22, so whats your opinions on this subject, i find it quite puzzling.

Yeah but then with a 24 you can bend up to 26... With a Floyd possible up to about 30...
Quote by SGKIDD
a 24 fret length guiatr is also an easier bender, the strings have a greater distance between the nut and bridge making them slinkier, making bending, well, easier..!!

No, that is determined by scale length, not how many frets there are. If a 24 fret neck is 25.5" long, it won't be any easier to bend on than a 22 fret neck with a 25.5" scale length would be.
24 frets are nice if you're focused on how many differeny notes you can play, but *IMO* neck pickups sound better on 22-fret necks. Something about harmonic nodes, I don't know why, but they just do.
Quote by Danno13
24 frets are nice if you're focused on how many differeny notes you can play, but *IMO* neck pickups sound better on 22-fret necks. Something about harmonic nodes, I don't know why, but they just do.

+1

The farther from the bridge the warmer it seems to be.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
I use my 24th fret a lot with sweeping. It's fun to play with if you can hit it right.
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
Quote by olix99
i mean you can reach the 23 and 24 fret on a 22 fret neck by bending up at 22, so whats your opinions on this subject, i find it quite puzzling.

Yeah....and I can reach 25 and 26 with my 24 fret. I also have better access to the first 22 frets.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
its easier to fret the 24th instead of bending the 22th i guess
ive only owned 24 fret guitars, ive played 21 fret guitars and i have no problem with them. they feel the same either way to me.

however, i just bought a bass with 24 frets (a selling point) and i use the upper register more than a guitar. but its different since im used to 19 frets, so it takes a while to get used to.

but having the extra frets is nice. i say its better to buy something and not use it than to not buy something and wish you did.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Punker487
its easier to play metal Solos!

^^^
Yeah, it depends on your shred level. If you don't really use the higest notes in your soloing, then 22 frets is usually ok, but I find that it gives me something extra to tap on the ends of my arpeggios, and I do sometimes just hold that note and/or bend it. It's just a little more range to play with, that's all. kinda like having a 7th string.

"These go to 24..."

P.S. I love my RG7321
Don't give me that crap about better shredding. Herman Li uses a 22 fret S series, so it really depends on your skill level.

DO NOT FLAME ME FOR SAYING HERMAN LI IS GOOD. I AM JUST MAKING A POINT
^So you think he sucks? (I don't BTW)
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
^So you think he sucks? (I don't BTW)

No, I think he's pretty good. I just hate how people deny his talent. I mean he's not the best, but you must admit he's pretty talented.
Malmsteen use 21 frets and can shred as bloody hell. I think that 24 frets is necessary for those who don't know yet to improvise, i mean, if you gonna cover a song that need the 24 fret and you don't have it, you can change that part of the solo. However, using pinch harmonics you can reach really high notes like those on 34,35,36 frets..
the only bad thing about 24 fret guitars is that, for optimum tone, your neck pickup should really be located at the harmonic node for the double octave... which is exactly where the 24th fret is at... so imo, you lose some tonal characteristics by having it.

the increased range is very nice though.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
i use alot of 24 fret esps and i noticed longer neck more tension drop tunning is easier, i go to drop b with .11s
Quote by dertjoe
i use alot of 24 fret esps and i noticed longer neck more tension drop tunning is easier, i go to drop b with .11s

Again, that has to do with scale length and not number of frets.
i thought i implied that by longer neck?
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
21 or 22 = better neck pup tone. I love the sound of a bluesy strat neck pup.

But then again I love the range of my ibanez. I dunno. Tough decision.
It's not always so much the extended range that makes a 24 fret neck better sometimes. Alot of them have better acess to the upper frets (15-22) than a 21/22 fret neck, and so are easier to play.

I personally don't beleive in all that harmonic node means better tone, but to each his own. I do know that alot of strats don't ring 5th fret harmonics well because the neck pup is right under the harmonic. s for warmer tone, you can easily pick over the neck to get the same kinda sound.

Either way, it's usually just playability IMO, few people really use the two extra notes.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by wylde_overdrive
No, that is determined by scale length, not how many frets there are. If a 24 fret neck is 25.5" long, it won't be any easier to bend on than a 22 fret neck with a 25.5" scale length would be.

good call, thats sorta the ida i was trying to get across, and generally, a 24 fre tneck is a larger scale length than a 21 or 22 fret neck ( or so gibson says )

Sorry for any confusion, wylde's statement is correct!
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by Danno13

Don't listen to Ed it's crap..

The only difference (from trying loads of guitars and measuring things) is that everything sounds warmer when the string is vibrating more... So on a 22 fretter the neck pickup is under a part of the string that has a larger elliptical pattern than an equivelant 24 fretter.

The harmonic node garb make no sense, the harmonics change when you play different notes for a start. Not to mention nobody ever mentions anything about the bridge pickups, some guitars I tried had bridge pickups in "harmonically dead" positions but they didn't sound dull/however the node folks describe it.

*awaits aso to call us all n00bs and post a picture of his washburn*

PS: moved to EG
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I love the 24 fret system on my Ibanez. Maybe it's because I have the option to play (mostly) anything in 2 different octaves.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by power freak

*awaits aso to call us all n00bs and post a picture of his washburn*

PS: moved to EG

since hes not around. . .

n00b

4 washburns, pwnt

k, i feel better, and not to spam, i havnt noticed a difference in tone from a 22 fret guitar opposed to a 24 fret guitar on the neck pickup. however, its easier to use the pup as another fret with a 24 fret guitar.

PF EDIT: Pfft... They've only got 24 frets... Pathetic, I was expecting a shredtastic 36 fretter at least.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i like it when theres two octaves sideways. but then again most guitars that have 24 frets are metal guitars and i dont play that much metal so meh... its not really necessary but just a comfortable thing to have
Page 1 of 3