Page 1 of 3
I was reading some old threads and I noticed a lot of people seem to hate him...why? Every band hes been in (Teen Idles, Minor Threat, Embrace, Fugazi...havn't heard The Evens yet) has been great, was he just a dick or something?
He is a hypocrite. That is why I cant stand him.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
he is my God.
join my straight edge club everyone!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-
he is my God.
join my straight edge club everyone!

Are you sitting down? I met him and he was drinking Seagrams 7. My friend asked him "Aren't you straight Edge?" his reply. "This doesn't count." Class.

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
OH MY GOODNESS
i bet hes not straight edge anymore....
i mean isnt he married?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
By the way that incident happend in 1991.

well....that isnt gonna make me change at all
and he was in fugazi in those years and fugazi isnt straight edge....but still!
clean living is still the way to go, whether ian did it or not is irrelevant
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Well, straight edge wasn't about COMPLETE abstinence back in the day, it was more of a drink in moderation, not to excess. And then don't smoke and do drugs. And then, don't promiscuously ****. Then straight edge was adopted by a bunch of morons who took everything to a ridiculous level and threw veganism into sXe mix.
I adore The Evens, you should check them out. As far as your sXe club goes, no thanks...
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
oh man doesnt anyone wanna join? i just started the club last night before i went to bed and we already have two members....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by Liam Alan
Are you sitting down? I met him and he was drinking Seagrams 7. My friend asked him "Aren't you straight Edge?" his reply. "This doesn't count." Class.

Straight edge isnt about no drinking. It means no Binge Drinking.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Ian: "I think that the idea of straight edge, the song that I wrote, and the way people have related it it, there's some people who have abused it, they've allowed their fundamentalism to interfere with the real message, which in my mind, was that people should be allowed to live their lives the way they want to. I think most people who identify with that are just good people, who are just trying to do something good in their lives, and it's a shame they have to suffer the kind of stigma that other people have put on that thing. But in terms of it being a movement or whatever, it's just not a movement for me, I never thought of it. "
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Straight edge isnt about no drinking. It means no Binge Drinking.

Well I go by the Slapshot theory of "Straight edge". Heheh That's just me.

I think it's stupid to follow a "theory" for straight edge. Don't drink/do drugs/etc. because you don't want to do those things, not because a band thinks you shouldn't.
Oh, I don't agree with it. That is just what straight edge was always in the circle I was in. I have never been straight edge and never will be. I used to hang with Vegan skins so I got the mega rants all of the time.

Ian has never been 'Straight Edge' as it is popularly known as, he even said on the re-recording of Out Of Step that it wasnt a set of rules. Now don't everyone say that it is rules because I know that, just whatever way he chooses to percieve it is right for him.
I hate Ian because he ruined DC and created sh*tty hardcore and invented emo.
Straight edge is actually close to what the punks ORIGINALLY advocated, i.e. anti-hippy values (no hippy free "love crap", no hippy drugs, etc.)

The straight edge thing is annoying, but in the long run...

A) All the straight edge kids become drunken frat boys when they got to college (barring the really religious ones)

B) Many G.G. Allin druggy/drunk useless type punks (like the Chaos kids) will rob you blind and ruin your life, if you get anywhere near them.
Quote by johnnynemo

B) Many G.G. Allin druggy/drunk useless type punks (like the Chaos kids) will rob you blind and ruin your life, if you get anywhere near them.

Oh Because Chaos Punks are all muggers and useless
Last edited by JohnnyNapalm at Aug 16, 2006,
He's a nice guy and has made some good music.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
I love Ian Mackaye, and I'm no where near being anything remotely close to straight edge.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
Quote by JohnnyNapalm

Um..... yeah.
Originally posted by XMetallica73X
i would love iran compared to this place trust me, they dont lie to you

^ FIELD TRIP TIME
Heaven fucking forbid he change his mind. The fact is that almost all of the bands he's been are great (sorry, don't care for Minor Threat) and he's never really compromised his values. I don't think he was ever against the occasional beer, he just opposed the abuse of the substance.
Wait, I thought you just said all his bands are great?
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Wait, I thought you just said all his bands are great?

I don't recall saying that. I just edited a spelling error out of my last post, but didn't say anything else.
oh i never noticed the 'almost'.
ionno, i just dont get some of you people. like he was ever your person to begin with. what you think or say has no baring on how he lives his lifestyle and you have no right to judge him for doing it. I don't think he's a hypocrite. He's publicly stated many times that the whole Straight Edge thing wasnt supposed to be a movement, nor a set of rules. Just something people could connect with and make then realize that "hey, im not alone out there. Other people feel the same way towards this as I do".
however you feel, you gotta give the man some ****ing credit for how he created his own record label and has kept it going for so long, all DIY. and he's always done what he wanted with his bands, again, always DIY, and never sacrificed the integrity of his music
He's the one punk musician from the 80's who still hasn't sold out. (To extend upon what Babaca was saying).
Quote by Babaca
ionno, i just dont get some of you people. like he was ever your person to begin with. what you think or say has no baring on how he lives his lifestyle and you have no right to judge him for doing it. I don't think he's a hypocrite. He's publicly stated many times that the whole Straight Edge thing wasnt supposed to be a movement, nor a set of rules. Just something people could connect with and make then realize that "hey, im not alone out there. Other people feel the same way towards this as I do".
however you feel, you gotta give the man some ****ing credit for how he created his own record label and has kept it going for so long, all DIY. and he's always done what he wanted with his bands, again, always DIY, and never sacrificed the integrity of his music

Yeah, he struggled so much living in the house in the suburbs that his parents gave him.
Give me a break.

Forgetting the fact that Ian's crappy Minor Threat ruined DC and made it so that the truly great DC punk bands like Black Market Baby and The Slickee Boys couldn't get gigs, because they didn't really "fit in" with the hardcore sound.....

Ian's just a little rich suburbanite weenie who dressed like a skinhead, wrote the song "Guilty Of Being White" and then whined when nazi skinheads showed up and ruined his shows.

So he invented emo, in an effort to "destroy hardcore", so that the naughty skinheads wouldn't show up to his shows anymore.

BTW, Fugazi's "Repeater" went gold, so he has made plenty of $$$.

Ian spends his wealth on crappy free jazz-screamo (Black Eyes) and crappy emo-disco (Q and not U) bands, while claiming to make music that chronicles "the DC punk scene".
Quote by JohnnyNapalm

He said many are.
Quote by johnnynemo
Yeah, he struggled so much living in the house in the suburbs that his parents gave him.
Give me a break.

Forgetting the fact that Ian's crappy Minor Threat ruined DC and made it so that the truly great DC punk bands like Black Market Baby and The Slickee Boys couldn't get gigs, because they didn't really "fit in" with the hardcore sound.....

Ian's just a little rich suburbanite weenie who dressed like a skinhead, wrote the song "Guilty Of Being White" and then whined when nazi skinheads showed up and ruined his shows.

So he invented emo, in an effort to "destroy hardcore", so that the naughty skinheads wouldn't show up to his shows anymore.

BTW, Fugazi's "Repeater" went gold, so he has made plenty of $$$.

Ian spends his wealth on crappy free jazz-screamo (Black Eyes) and crappy emo-disco (Q and not U) bands, while claiming to make music that chronicles "the DC punk scene".

From the sound of things, it appears that you're jealous of Ian MacKaye because he made music that a lot of people appreciated. And could he really help whether his record went gold? He never sold out or compromised their sound, and he remained on his label and hasn't sold the label to any major labels.
Whats it matter if his parents gave him stuff, better then all the punks who go around talking about how poor they are when they're they live in the same conditions. Just the fact that his parents had money seems hardly like a reason to not like him.
Quote by MattTheArsonist
From the sound of things, it appears that you're jealous of Ian MacKaye because he made music that a lot of people appreciated. And could he really help whether his record went gold? He never sold out or compromised their sound, and he remained on his label and hasn't sold the label to any major labels.

I'm so NOT jealous of Ian.
I'm just painfully aware of what punk was like, and how great it was, before brain-dead hardcore "jock rock" came along and ruined it.

The fact that lots of people liked Fugazi and the DC emo crap proves that it's terrible, to me.

Emo was deliberately constructed NOT to appeal to skinheads.
Since skinheads tend to like music that is raw and violent, Ian and the lads made music that is soft and poppy and makes the lil bedwetters cry.
Quote by caesar_salad
Whats it matter if his parents gave him stuff, better then all the punks who go around talking about how poor they are when they're they live in the same conditions. Just the fact that his parents had money seems hardly like a reason to not like him.

You're missing the point completely.

Because Ian had a house given to him, he never had to pay for a place to practice and record.
Once his band started getting shows and getting popular, he could manipulate which bands would succeed by either making sure that a band Ian liked played with and/or opened for Minor Threat.
If you were someone that Ian wanted to "embody the harDCore sound", he'd sign you to Dischord and your music would sell all over the world.
When Ian got interviewed, he might pimp your band, if he felt like it.

This is a lot of power to give to one person.

I wish Mac Baron was here.
He was in a band that blew Fugazi out of the water, but got shunned and ignored, because he had a falling out with Ian.
You're really narrow-minded about music aren't you?. Are you one of those kids that's all "OMG ITZ NOT PONK RAWK IT SUX!"? A lot of people like the Buzzcocks, but they weren't bad. A lot of people like the Dead Boys, but they're not band. I don't know what Fugazi or DC Emo you were listening to, but that music certainly wasn't "poppy". The music was raw and loud still, it was just slower than traditional punk or hardcore.
Quote by johnnynemo
You're missing the point completely.

Because Ian had a house given to him, he never had to pay for a place to practice and record.
Once his band started getting shows and getting popular, he could manipulate which bands would succeed by either making sure that a band Ian liked played with and/or opened for Minor Threat.
If you were someone that Ian wanted to "embody the harDCore sound", he'd sign you to Dischord and your music would sell all over the world.
When Ian got interviewed, he might pimp your band, if he felt like it.

This is a lot of power to give to one person.

I wish Mac Baron was here.
He was in a band that blew Fugazi out of the water, but got shunned and ignored, because he had a falling out with Ian.

What band was mach in. I never found out.
Quote by MattTheArsonist
You're really narrow-minded about music aren't you?. Are you one of those kids that's all "OMG ITZ NOT PONK RAWK IT SUX!"? A lot of people like the Buzzcocks, but they weren't bad. A lot of people like the Dead Boys, but they're not band. I don't know what Fugazi or DC Emo you were listening to, but that music certainly wasn't "poppy". The music was raw and loud still, it was just slower than traditional punk or hardcore.

You have no idea how great bands like Black Market Baby, The Slickee Boys and Government Issue (Mach's band) were live, and on record, because you didn't get to see it.
I saw crappy emo bands like Jawbox, Shudder to Think, Swiz, etc. live in the 80s, and many of them were slow, poppy, whiny and cheesy (especially Shudder To Think).

Being so trendy that you love everything that comes out and is labeled "punk", is weak and sheep-like.

The whole story of how Ian and the Positive Force records crew all got together and invented whiny, poppy emo to keep skinheads away from shows is documented in the book "Dance Of Days", which I suggest you read.
I don't have to, because I was there, son.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Page 1 of 3