Ive been reading the threads in this forum and ive been inspired. Im gonna build a custom Tele. I was just wondering what website you guys like better: Warmoth or StewMac? Since it would be my first build, do you think it would be better to buy one of the cheap Tele kits from www.torresengineering.com instead of possibly ruining a good body from warmoth or stewmac? Thanks in advance.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio with 57 classic and 57 classic plus.

Jackson DK2 Dinky

1984 Marshall 50w Amp

25w Frontman DSP
I'd get everything from Stew-Mac personally. That's just me though. Warmoth can get pretty expensive, and Stew-Mac parts usually say that they're compatible with the body/neck etc.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I wouldnt rate one over the other, I would just say warmoth is better if you want a bigger selection of bodies and necks (wood parts, bassicly), and stewmac is better for hardware and everything else

btw, I live about 2 miles away from the Torres shop
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Quote by powerage225

btw, I live about 2 miles away from the Torres shop

Have you ever used one of their kits? I was thinking of getting one of their kits just for the body and pickups and changing out the hardware and pickup cover to black.

Jackson DK2 Dinky

1984 Marshall 50w Amp

25w Frontman DSP
Most of what stewmac sells is cheaper than warmoth. The advantage of warmoth is that they have a lot more options for preshaped parts. If you want pretty commen preshaped parts, like a teli, then go with stewmac. If you are looking to build from scratch there are still better places to get you stuff from.
Not taking any online orders.
I hate warmoth 'cos they charge loads for international delivery and they are so hard to order from 'cos u can't actually order from the website.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Warmoth is "higher quality" but I'd go Stewmac personally. I bought a Warmoth body, and it wasn't worth the 200 bucks. I mean, it was flawless, but it just wasn't worth that much cash.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by CorduroyEW
If you are looking to build from scratch there are still better places to get you stuff from.

Where?

Jackson DK2 Dinky

1984 Marshall 50w Amp

25w Frontman DSP
If you are in the USA then buy a membership to luthierforum.com and you will probably get the best deals

www.lmii.com has higher quality parts than warmoth and they are about the same price or cheaper than stewmac but they are pretty much raw lumber.

www.alliedlutherie.com has great prices too.

If you are in the UK and don't mind waiting then I can probably sell you stuff cheaper than anybody else, but my bandsaw is broken down and I'm waiting for parts and I don't know how long it will be. I have honduran mahogany, rock maple, flamed maple, quilted maple, rosewood, and wenge, bloodwood, goncalo alvis, wamara, lacewood, english cherry, Jatoba, bloodwood, and the list goes on but if you are in the USA or canada then I am proably not the best place.

If you are looking for exotic stuff and alternative tonewoods then I can give you the email adress of a freind of mine in the US that deals with lots of African and south American tonewood. He has everything but rosewood and mahogany.
Not taking any online orders.
Thank you guys so much for the help. Are there any other sites that i should know about that would sell a premade body? When i finally get everythign together, Ill definitely be posting some pictures. I dont know when ill be getting the parts, sometime soon hopefully!

Jackson DK2 Dinky

1984 Marshall 50w Amp

25w Frontman DSP
Last edited by Feenux857 at Aug 17, 2006,