hey can you guys give me any tips on how to improve dexterity and speed? i want to be able to play faster with clarity.
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
Get a metronome, play a lick at a slow speed, until you are comfortable, then go a few clicks up on the metronome, master it at that speed, then go a few clicks up on the metronome, and master it at that speed and so on until you are blazing fast with it. Repeat as necessary.
get good at alternate picking...which will take practice to do it clearly and steadily...but thats the key to speed....and yeah just play a lot alot alot alot alot and your fingers will get stronger and faster...
Play this over and over:

I guess playing each one PROPERLY up and down the strings a few times once a day would be fine. Play at the lower frets to improve finger stretching too.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

exactly. for fast picking, learn to alternate pick scales and keep practicing. trust me, at least 30 min a day for 2 weeks and you WILL see a difference.
Quote by freewheelinbird
hey can you guys give me any tips on how to improve dexterity and speed? i want to be able to play faster with clarity.

First you have to practice SLOWLY and with extreme CLARITY and ATTENTION
to what your fingers are doing. There's a pretty long list of WHAT you should be
paying attention to and correcting if needed. But, the point is anyone can play
slowly with bad technique. When things move slowly you have time to correct them.
At high speed you don't. So you play slow at first to train your fingers efficiently and
when you play fast they will do what they have been trained to do slowly.

There really isn't any particular exercise that will help. Everyone likes to give that
tired old chromatic thing like it's the magic bean of speed. It's more about what
you DO when you're playing slowly, rather than simply playing some particular
excercise slowly.
what is alternate picking?

like upstrokes and downstrokes? or is it like hybrid picking?
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
alternate picking is sucessive upstrokes and downstrokes yes...on a single string, also get good at sliding up and down frets...that improves speed and is usually the only way that you can pull off a really fast solo.
i second sg's post, and since he wrote it all, i wont lol.

also try to get your hands on an acoustic guitar. they are a little harder to play and strengthen your fingers just enough to make electric easier to rip through it.