Ok, bear with me here, this is the first time I've written tab...

I'm trying to write a song (my first,) and am hoping for some help. I have a melody, but am not sure what key it's in, (know nothing about the circle of fifths yet) or what chords I should use. I'm playing on an acoustic, and am going for a blusey feel.

Here is the melody:

|----9-10-7----9-10-7--14--14-14-12-12-10-10-9-9-7h9-9-----10-9-7-
|--7---------7-------------------------------------------7-------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm thinking is, doing this melody first as an intro, then coming in with a strumming pattern of triplets (in a shuffle). As this melody stands, I can't find a good chord (tried a B chord, but it didn't sound very good). However, if I bring the melody down a bit (playing the same pattern but beginning on the second fret, A string,) I can strum with an Em chord and it sounds pretty good.
(What I've doing right now is stumming on that chord in triplets, then switching to an EM near the end of the pattern).

So, if any of that made sense, what do people think? Ideas? Any help is much appreciated...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
well, it's in D major, but it seems you want a minor sound, so you'll want to use chords in relation to the tonal center of F# minor

the first few notes of your intro are B, C#, D, and F# - those are the notes of a Bmin chord (B, D, F#) with the addition of a 9 (2) so i would suggest a Bmin(add9)

the next 4 notes (assuming i'm reading your tab correctly) are F#, D, E, and B...which would come out to be an E7sus2

the next chord would best be Emin, like you said, but i would end with an F#min after that to add a bit of tension and to lead more towards the Bmin once you repeat it (that's how i hear it, you may hear it differently)
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
An F#min sounds like fun...better than just a major chord, anyway.
I'm a beginner, so I don't know any of those chords yet. But I'm here to learn, right? I'll play around with that tonight...thanks a lot, this is a huge help. (Hell, I didn't even realize I was playing out the notes of a particular chord...I guess that's why it sounded 'right,' if you know what I mean) Thanks!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
well, you can play any chords in the key of F# minor, but i find that you can never "go wrong" playing the chord tones over a chord...you do want to add variation of course, but knowing what will resolve quickly to chord tones and such will help your improvising and your ability to "hear" what fits and what doesn't
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.