Well, I could think of no more fitting section for this to go in, so here it is: the Electronica thread.

What are your guys thoughts on the genre? Favorite artists and albums? Reccomendations? Post 'em here.

A few of my favorite artists:

Aphex Twin
Mouse on Mars
Orbital
Autechre
Massive Attack
Portishead
DJ Shadow
Hooverphonic
Brian Eno
Björk
Boards of Canada

Favorite albums:

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (one of the greatest recordings EVER, I think)
Orbital 2
Iaora Tahiti
Endtroducing...
Mezzanine

Discuss!
John Frusciante Club Member #7
Last edited by ando3300 at Aug 17, 2006,
i dont think anyone but us care about electronica here. THis will be moved to the "other" section, but you wont get any responses either. If i knew a good electronica forum id tell you, but usually i just check www.bleep.com and read XLR8R magazine

boards of canada and aphex twin are gods.
youd prolly dig Bibio, theyre Boards of canada approved also.
Broadcast
Four Tet
Global Communication
Prefuse 73
Khonnor
Isolee
M83
Mum

are all very indie-like electronica bands
Well, some of my more A&I geared Electronica bands are Hot Chip and MSTRKRFT. For just general Electronica I like Aphex Twin, Safety Scissors, Wumpscut, Atari Teenage Riot, etc.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
Portishead, Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Boom Bip, Letting Up Despite Great Faults and DJ Shadow are some of my favorites in the genre. I've only just started getting into electronica, though. My knowledge is pretty limited.
I've heard that the album Blue Lines by Massive Attack is worth getting. Can anyone here back that up?
^ Mezzanine's better.

Squarepusher is immense. He's also the best bassist I've ever seen.
Venetian Snares is a mentalist.
Jamie Lidell: super funky.

Anything on Warp, basically.

Quote by ando3300
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (one of the greatest recordings EVER, I think)

Selected Ambient Works is so hilariously overrated in comparison to everything else he's done. Volume 2's good, mind.
Last edited by scoob666 at Aug 16, 2006,
Im really into my electronic music atm

I'm a huge fan of daft punk,

we do appreciate it here, but it'll fit into 'other' a lot easier.

sorry!
There is no such thing as "electronica", its a term used to describe EDM (electronic dance music) in general (along with ambient and IDM works) by the mainstream music industry because they are dumbasses.

There is already a Techno/Dance thread in this forum with a decent amount of posts.

Quote by lo fi nights
i dont think anyone but us care about electronica here. THis will be moved to the "other" section, but you wont get any responses either. If i knew a good electronica forum id tell you, but usually i just check www.bleep.com and read XLR8R magazine

There is a thread in the Other section already on this.

www.tranceaddict.com is a good site for any electronic music. They like flaming noobs though.
yea bajeda but they mean it in this sense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica
electronic music made not-necessarily as dance music. as much as i don't like using the term... IDM is more what they are getting at. i'd say as a whole the techno & dance thread is focused on a different kind of music altogether, and the more ambient stuff might as well have it's own thread.

anyway, of the artists mentioned i like aphex twin, orbital (trance), massive attack, portishead, dj shadow, boards of canada, khonner, m83, squarepusher, and venetian snares (psy trance).

who else fits into this category? are bands like the faint included? i'm confused because i wouldn't consider orbital and venetian snares in particular to be in this 'genre'.

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
Electronic music in general is great, however, '...entroducing' is such an over-rated album for what it is.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Sexy_Beast
venetian snares (psy trance)

I'd have said Snares is IDM or Gabba over anything else.

Quote by andrewbiles
'...entroducing' is such an over-rated album for what it is

How do you mean? Overrated in the scale of immensely fucking awesome albums?
Quote by scoob666
I'd have said Snares is IDM or Gabba over anything else.

what i've heard is definitely not gabber/gabba, but i haven't heard all of his stuff. i probably shouldnt have said psy trance though, i was pretty tired at the time though but yeah.. psy/breakcore perhaps? i really don't like using the term IDM.

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
^ Breakcore! That's the fucker! I agree that IDM's an unspeakably pretentious term. You should get an album by Snares called Rossx Csillag Allat Szuletett, it's avant-garde strings with IDM beats, and is awesome. Hajnal is one of my favourite tunes ever, electronic or otherwise.

I also like some of his sillier tunes, like Abomination Street (the Coronation Street music all cut up and stuff) and Clearance Bin.
sounds cool, i'll check it out btw nice sig

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
Dieselboy (spins a great live show)
AK1200
Total Science
Cause4Concern
Aphex Twin/AFX
Kemal
Accidental Heroes
Cosa Buena
Skinny Puppy (more industrial than etron, but still)
total science?! geez even drum n bass/breaks artists are in this genre now? so basically it's everything then? i'm so confused

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
Well, I was always under the impression that Electronica is just a base genre which included all the sub genres (dnb, house, ambient, breakbeat, IDM, trance, etc...) Am I wrong? maybe electronica means something different in australia than it does here. maybe not. Meh.
well i would usually agree with 'electronica' being a broad term meaning something similar to EDM (electronic dance music) which is the term i tend to use as including all forms of electronic music.

however this thread was started in the indie forum and was based on the definition of electronica as described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica so i figured it was continuing along that same line (ie. IDM, ambient, experimental, indietronica, post-rock kind of stuff) rather than encompassing all forms of electronic music.

there are already threads in this forum for techno & dance (includes trance, house, etc), hardcore dance music (mostly happy hard) and drum n bass - so i figured this was specifically going to be about the wiki definition of electronica.

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
Hah. It seems you already covered that. My mistake. w/e its all good. I guess I should have read.
Quote by scoob666
How do you mean? Overrated in the scale of immensely fucking awesome albums?

You wish. No, it's a good album but I've never really thought that its as amazing an album as everywhere tries to make it out to be. But then I guess I've always found that albums people go on about never turn out to be as good as they say. I'll probably dig it out in a decade or something and fall in love with it, but for the past couple of years I've not really thought much of it.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by lo fi nights
idk that seems like all trance and eurotrash.

You haven't been to the site have you?

The forums are full of everything pretty much. The people love electronic music, many are DJs. Even Ishkur posts on that forum. Any type of electronic music you can think of people will know it there. Its definitely not just trance and eurodance.

And classic eurodance is awesome (early 90s stuff), cheese is cheese, but good cheese is awesome!
Quote by scoob666
Selected Ambient Works is so hilariously overrated in comparison to everything else he's done. Volume 2's good, mind.

Well I really don't agree with you there. RDJ album, I Care Because You Do, Chosen Lords, and SAW 2 are all great albums... I just can't seem to like them as rediculously much as I like 85-92. It's really just opinion.
John Frusciante Club Member #7
Quote by andrewbiles
Electronic music in general is great, however, '...entroducing' is such an over-rated album for what it is.

Nah it isn't.

Endtroducing is immense, and easily one of the best albums of the 90s.

Aphex Twin on the other hand is overrated, primarily due to the fact that people who know nothing about electronic music only ever bother to check him out, and never explore further. When viewed in context with all the other electronic music out there, he is still good, but not the best nor close to it.
Quote by bajeda
You haven't been to the site have you?

yes i checked out the site before I commented.

And how is Aphex overrated? Yeah, he was largely my gateway into electronic music, but I went alot deeper. And I didnt find anyone else as timeless
Someone was telling me that that there is a merger in music between grindcore and electronica and that is its own genre, I find them to be some what similar. Like if you listen to a lot of cybergrind some of it could even be called electronica.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by lo fi nights

And how is Aphex overrated? Yeah, he was largely my gateway into electronic music, but I went alot deeper. And I didnt find anyone else as timeless

It is what I like to call the Final Fantasy VII effect.

As Aphex Twin are usually the first experience of that area of music for those coming from the stems of rock music. People hold onto their first experience of the genre strongly, and reminisce about it.

If I'm not making much sense, just look at Final Fantasy VII. For many, it was their first Final Fantasy game. Despite the fact that it isn't 'far better' than any other FF game, many still proclaim it as the best Final Fantasy game ever. As many oldschool Final Fantasy gamers will attest, it isn't the best. People just like it because it was their first Final Fantasy, and no other Final Fantasies offer quite the same experience. Final Fantasy VIII was my first, and is my favourite. But I know it probably isn't the best.

There is better stuff out there than Aphex Twin, but people suffer from the Final Fantasy VII effect and never quite forget their first experience. To compound that is the fact that most people don't explore further into the genre, giving them less insight and perspective.

You say you've explored electronic music, and as such I find it hard to believe you still place Aphex Twin at the top of the pile. Perhaps you would like to list some of the other electronic bands and artists you've listened to quite a bit. Because I've found no lack of 'better' electronic artists. To name a few Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Pete Namlook, Boards of Canada Lull, Bill Laswell etc.
^I agree with both of you.

The FF metaphor I actually thought was pretty spot on, I prefer FFIX to be honest.
Quote by scoob666
^ I love electronic music, especially Warp stuff, and Aphex is still my favourite.

You see, there are these things called opinions...

I never questioned that these are opinions we are dealing with.

But I ask you, was Aphex Twin one of your first full experiences of electronic music? If you read my post, I was trying to show that opinions are often biased towards the first experience of something. Daft Punk were probably the first electronic band I started checking out, and they're still right near the top of my favourites. My point is that perhaps these opinions that state Aphex Twin as amazing and 'the best' are more bias than deserved acclaim.

We're dealing with subjective opinions, yet when comparing I think it necessary to try and look at them in an objective light as possible.
^ Not really, I thought Aphex Twin was a load of noisy bollocks at first, then I heard the Come To Daddy EP and then delved into his other stuff.

You can't just say, "Oh, in the larger scale of things there are better bands and if you disagree then you're wrong", I mean, I realise Eno's contribution to electronic music, and I quite like some of his stuff, the same with Kraftwerk, but then I think a lot of their stuff is a bit rubbish, which I can't say - in my opinion - about, say, Squarepusher.

I'd argue that Aphex Twin's contribution is almost as important for bringing electronica out of a rut and actually trying to make artists think more creatively about what they're doing.
Last edited by scoob666 at Aug 20, 2006,
^ Not really, I thought Aphex Twin was a load of noisy bollocks at first, then I heard the Come To Daddy EP and then delved into his other stuff.

You may be like that, but the vast majority differ from you in that regard.

Quote by scoob666

You can't just say, "Oh, in the larger scale of things there are better bands and if you disagree then you're wrong",

What the hell. I said nothing of the sort.

I'd argue that Aphex Twin's contribution is almost as important for bringing electronica out of a rut and actually trying to make artists think more creatively about what they're doing.

Psssh, electronic music was not in a rut before Aphex Twin entered the scene.
Quote by Liberi Fatali
What the hell. I said nothing of the sort.

Well, you sort of did; you're essentially saying that I shouldn't be allowed to like Aphex Twin the best, pretty much because you like Eno and Kraftwerk and all them others better.
Dntel Dntel Dntel Dntel! Seriously, I strongly recommend Dntel. Tell me what you think.

Other than Dntel, I like Four Tet and Boards Of Canada. Ooh la la. I like sweet music. I hate the term "IDM" though.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam