I picked "composite amps" cos it's probably the easiest way to describe the questions I'm going to pose. I apologise in advance if this thread is meant to be anywhere else.

Alrighty then, I'm just curious about buying individual preamps, poweramps and cabs as opposed to getting ahold of the full whack in a single head. I know that it is a case of testing it all all out myself and trusting my ears etc to find out exactly what I need, but I'd appreciate a few pointers and advice. I'd say that the final amp configuration I'd like to achieve is a modern high gain sound, suitable for extreme metal, not sludgy, but not so tight that there isn't a safety margin, if u can get what I'm saying. I'd prefer valves to SS, but I'm open to suggestions about either. I'm working to a budget of between 1000 and 2000 Pounds (I think that's roughly $2000 and $3000).

Or, alternatively, should I just sack the idea off and get hold of an all in one?
Member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

Pm Davidian to join.
what yuo're referring to is a rack set up and it generally costs a lot. for a single amp i'd get an ENGL Powerball. but it depends if you prefer a dark or brighter tone.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
For that cash, your a fool for not seeking out amps your self.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
How do u mean?

I am. However, I'm asking what kind of setup I should be looking at so that I can get a general idea of what works and what doesn't.
Member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

Pm Davidian to join.