ok, unidirectional... carodoid... who knows. at $100 the sm57 is a little more than i want to spend. i'm mic'ing a guitar amp to a digital multi-track. volumes are at living room level. i will may also be using the amp's direct out in conjunction.

any other recommendations?
music123 has them for 99, and 89 with t-shirts.

so i got a t-shirt when i bought one.

but to answer your question, i dont know what would record well and be cheaper.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Save up and get the SM57 it's a great mic, so versatile. And the sound quality is great.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
yeah sm57s are perfect for micing an amp or drums but they are a pain in the a$$ to sing through
most other mics that compare to the 57 cost quite a bit more.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
MXL has some good recording mics for like $20-30 cheaper than the SM57.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quite honestly, buy something Samson or something, cheap. The SM57 is a good mic, but half of the reason it is famous is becuse you could use it as a hammer without any problems. If you are looking to record with something, not take it all over the place in all sorts of situations without ever making sure it's taken care of, then you don't need an SM57. Sure, it has a good sound, but nowadays alot of mics have a good sound. The best guitar sound I got was from a crappy old condensor that was almost thrown away by a friend of mine. I still don't know who made that mic. Samson makes good cheap mics, for about $30 you can get a great mic for home recordings, that won't produce a noticable sound difference to 99 percent of the population of the entire world, unless you played it next to a recording made with the same equipment but with an SM57, and even then they wouldn't be able to tell which was which. And before everyone tells me I'm stupid, I get paid by my school to know this stuff, I have recorded several bands with several albums published "for real" (nothing famous, but put on a real cd with a real cover and cover art and all that, not just a burned at home cd-r) and no one has ever complained that I use a $20 mic on the snare alot, or noticed that I used Shure PG-81's for overheads or for acoustic guitar. I'm not full of it.
Quote by JahJahwarrior
Quite honestly, buy something Samson or something, cheap. The SM57 is a good mic, but half of the reason it is famous is becuse you could use it as a hammer without any problems. If you are looking to record with something, not take it all over the place in all sorts of situations without ever making sure it's taken care of, then you don't need an SM57. Sure, it has a good sound, but nowadays alot of mics have a good sound. The best guitar sound I got was from a crappy old condensor that was almost thrown away by a friend of mine. I still don't know who made that mic. Samson makes good cheap mics, for about $30 you can get a great mic for home recordings, that won't produce a noticable sound difference to 99 percent of the population of the entire world, unless you played it next to a recording made with the same equipment but with an SM57, and even then they wouldn't be able to tell which was which. And before everyone tells me I'm stupid, I get paid by my school to know this stuff, I have recorded several bands with several albums published "for real" (nothing famous, but put on a real cd with a real cover and cover art and all that, not just a burned at home cd-r) and no one has ever complained that I use a $20 mic on the snare alot, or noticed that I used Shure PG-81's for overheads or for acoustic guitar. I'm not full of it.

A bit harsh but true nonetheless. Threadstarter, check out the Behringer SM58 clone. I've heard that it's very good for recording. $20.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
You can pick up SM57's for cheap used. They're built like rocks, so they shouldn't be damaged in any way, and if they have a few scrapes they're not expensive at all. I bought one for 45 bucks.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i've been looking for used sm57. they don't seem to run a WHOLE lot cheaper used on ebay. been checking craigslist too, but there aren't too many there. i will look at the sampsons. any particular model there?
its worth every penny....u can use it for near goddamn everything...
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
I don't know any particular samson mic, I have used alot of mics of theirs that seem to last a good long while, and I have a few that I don't think are going to last long at all You could look at some of the Shure "artist series" (think that's what they are called) instrument mics. You can get one for maye $45 or so, and they are Shure and work pretty well and last pretty darn well too.

And yes, an SM57 is worth every penny, but if it came down to that mic over a cheaper one, and paying off your house mortgage....well a house is going to become worth more, so you should pay it off If you have every penny, then go buy a 57, you won't regret it. If you only have half of the pennies, look at other things.