Page 1 of 2
What is wrong with Agathis? Is it so bad that i shouldn't replace my P-ups in my LTD? I'd like to put an X2N in the bridge, but what about the wood? What will the agathis do?
yes i'm afraid its really that bad. It wont 'do' anything it will just make any pickups you put in sound toneless and crappy.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Agathis is a terrible tonewood. You'd be better to save up for another guitar made of a better tonewood, rather than to upgrade a low-end guitar. The agathis won't bring out the best of the pickups, thus making it a somewhat pointless upgrade.
Last edited by Stevo12312 at Aug 16, 2006,
Agathis is only good enough to be firewood.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
No, its not even firewood.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Relax, you could play it just like normal but its NOT worth it to upgrade the pickups. What i would do is, try to window shop for your next gear and try to predict which pickups will go well into that guitar. Then buy those pickup and install it in your LTD. Then when you're ready for a 2nd gear, or whatever, get the ones that you've been eager to get and just switch the pickups.

If you're rich enough then just buy a new pickup and install it. Also, you can sell it on eBay if you like afterwards.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
agathis sucks
Guitars:
Dean DOA ML 04 #31/50 w/ Dimarzios
Dean ML Knight w/ EMG's
Dean Avalanche w/ EMG's
Jackson DXMGT w/ EMG's
Ibanez RG350M w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez V Blade w/ Dimarzios
Amps:
Marshall 8100 w/ Marshall Cab
Anyone got any legit reasons why they hate Agathis??

I've only played a few Agathis guitars and I thought they had pretty good tone. 2 were the Squier Tele Customs which I loved. Through a decent amp its pretty good. The main reason why Agathis doesnt sound good is because its mainly found in cheap guitars and they come with substandard pickups.

Anyone ever tried a double blind test between an agathis and mahogany guitar and spotted the difference??

My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
well, agathis isnt really that good for emg's ive heard, but any true guitarist can make any guitar sound good, as long as it works
You people make it sound like agathis is loosely pressed sawdust. It's not, plywood is. I have an agathis RG170, and it doesn't sound all that bad. No warmth of basswood or brightness of alder, but it has very respectable sustain, and it's a much better wood than mysterious hardwoods and plywoods for beginner instruments. You get what you pay for, of course. Don't expect an agathis LTD 50 series to sound like a mahogany MH Deluxe, but for the money, it's now awful.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
You people make it sound like agathis is loosely pressed sawdust. It's not, plywood is. I have an agathis RG170, and it doesn't sound all that bad. No warmth of basswood or brightness of alder, but it has very respectable sustain, and it's a much better wood than mysterious hardwoods and plywoods for beginner instruments. You get what you pay for, of course. Don't expect an agathis LTD 50 series to sound like a mahogany MH Deluxe, but for the money, it's now awful.

True to a certain extent, if you like it, no one can stop you. I've tried agathis, and it just doesnt click to me, maybe because i've tried mahogany, alder, basswoods and even plywoods and agathis just doesnt do it. Rather than buying agathis LTDs, i'd rather get an Ibanez RG321MH or anything 2nd hand thats alder or basswood.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
True to a certain extent, if you like it, no one can stop you. I've tried agathis, and it just doesnt click to me, maybe because i've tried mahogany, alder, basswoods and even plywoods and agathis just doesnt do it. Rather than buying agathis LTDs, i'd rather get an Ibanez RG321MH or anything 2nd hand thats alder or basswood.

Can't say I like it, I haven't plugged it in in a couple years
But it was my first electric, and it definitely didn't have a bad enough tone to turn me back to classical guitar. And sure, RG321 is better, but it was twice the price at the time.

But yeah, what matters is if you like the sound. I don't really know which will do more damage to the threadstarter's tone, the agathis or the X2N.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by Cone 21
Agathis is only good enough to be firewood.

Quote by zekk
No, its not even firewood.

Quote by HAMMETTOWNS
agathis sucks

You people bring such intelligent arguments to this thread
Quote by pifty
Can't say I like it, I haven't plugged it in in a couple years
But it was my first electric, and it definitely didn't have a bad enough tone to turn me back to classical guitar. And sure, RG321 is better, but it was twice the price at the time.

But yeah, what matters is if you like the sound. I don't really know which will do more damage to the threadstarter's tone, the agathis or the X2N.

X2n
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
agathis, such a shame, it has such a cool name.
Schecter C-1-XXX - Seymour Duncan Jazz/Invader
Schecter A-1 - EMG 81/81
Schecter S-1 - EMG 81/85
Titan Custom Fernandes Ravelle Style

Peavy G-150
Line 6 Spider II 30

Line 6 Constrictor
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
If it's your new guitar, you might as well upgrade it. It probably won't sound the best, but it'll sound better than the stock pick-ups.
agathis isnt that bad really, i started with an agathis guitar and i still play it sometimes, it sounds pretty good if you use a ****load of distortion. Oh and whoever said that plywood is loosely pressed together sawdust, thats incorrect , plywood is thin oeices of wood glued together with the grain alternating in direction, what you where refering to is particle board which is rarely used to make guitars.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
actually, agathis burns pretty well compared to other types of wood

and some high quality agathis can actually be as good as middle end alder.
I don't think agathis fumes are good for you...
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
i play agathis guitars alot we have a esp dealership at the shop and honestly i can tell a big difference between agathis and other woods, its so bland and lifeless, its not as bad as long as you use a tone of distortion, thats the only reason BC Rich is still in buisness cuz u just dont play a warlock for a country song, but it definetly would not be my first second or tenth choice for wood
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
However, if you have an amp with insane super high distortion, like gain at 35 or something.

ok,

gain 35
tube screamer
od-1
ds-1
mt-1
ds-1
ds-2
Use them all at the same time, and agathis is probably the best wood for crazy high distortiong, and I mean real real high distortion.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
agathis isnt that bad really, i... ...it sounds pretty good if you use a ****load of distortion.

Your argument in favor of agathis just turned into evidence against it. Any wood that you have to put shìtloads of distortion on to mask the natural sound of the wood means it's crap wood.

Agathis guitars do have a place. Noobs need something to learn on, and it's pointless getting a noob a $1000 starter guitar. That's why they only make low end starter guitars out of agathis. For noobs, über-sweet tone, attack, and sustain are a bit pointless, because they don't have the playing experience to make these qualities count. Give a noob a $10 000 Zemantis guitar and a $5 000 Bogner full stack, and they will sound as horrible as if they were playing abSquier Strat and a Line 6 Spider.

So as a first guitar, there's nothign wrong with agathis. As a serious instrument, look elsewhere.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
The type of wood doesn't matter so as much as your ability to play, and the care with which the guitar was assembled and set up. Also, each piece of wood is different. Wood is organic. You really have to compare individual instrument side by side to tell the difference. It's possible to get good and bad guitar bodies from any kind of tone wood. Sometimes because it's a better quality grade within the wood type, and other times because of luck and how the tree grew.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with agathis. It doesn't dent or strip screws as easily as basswood, and it's not as heavy as mahogany. Basswood is trebly, and mahogany is bassy... but agathis seems to be somewhere in the middle. I've also heard that it doesn't "settle" as much as most other woods, and that bodes well for longevity. The only reason it's nearly as inexpensive as basswood or plywood is because it's plentiful in Asia.

As for the ESP LTD M-100MH... mine sounds and plays a hell of a lot better than the crappy RG321MH it replaced. Maybe the pickups are better on the ESP, but I suspect it's the wood because it sounds better unplugged too. Then again, the maple top may have something to do with that.

If the stock pickups don't have the sound you're looking for, swap them out for something else. Your guitar is worthy of it.
Actually, I own a squire tele custom, and it sounds quite good. I think I would fail a double blind test. But seriously, don't upgrade That's one bridge to far, but enjoy it as long as you own it
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Hold on,everyones says that the ibanez guitar(the jumpstart kit) is good,but BC Rich sucks, but as far as i know,both are made of agathis,what's the difference?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by magicninja_
Get some EMG's. They sound the same on ANY GUITAR. So they are best suited for low end axes.

No.
EMGS sound almost ear piercing on alder, well either that or that bloody salesman was pulling my lef.

EMGs sound best on Maho, perfect for metal.

They suck on basswood, stale and crappy.
Quote by Broken-pick
Hold on,everyones says that the ibanez guitar(the jumpstart kit) is good,but BC Rich sucks, but as far as i know,both are made of agathis,what's the difference?

Squier Alder Strat (or even MIM Fender Strat) versus High End JEM.

They're both made of alder, whats the difference
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Quote by Broken-pick

The Ibanez IJS40 starter pack (GRX40) is Alder
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Invictious
No.
EMGS sound almost ear piercing on alder, well either that or that bloody salesman was pulling my lef.

EMGs sound best on Maho, perfect for metal.

They suck on basswood, stale and crappy.

You should just stop commenting on stuff you've obviously never tried. Really, EMG are just like any other pickup, put them in crap wood, and they will sound as such. Basswood and alder are both good tonewoods, neither sound "crappy" with EMG's. I've owned both woods with EMG's, and if it sounds crappy, it's most likely the rest of your setup or the player.

TS, there is a reason agathis is used in mostly lower end guitars. It's a plentiful wood that's easy to work with, but it's tonal characteristics leave something to be desired once your ear develops. It does sound a lot better than something like plywood though, just don't expect miracles. It's fine for a starter guitar, listen to what Crunchmeister and Madpickin said.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I really honestly can't tell the differnence between the same EMG's on mahogany or alder. I would notice the difference if there was a 81-85's on Mahog and HZ's on Alder. Really i can't tell the difference from Jackson, LTD , ESP, Schecter or Gibsons with EMGs. Maybe It's just me but I honestly can't.
I really liked all the low-end LTDs I tried. I don't think agathis is really that bad.
Quote by magicninja_
I really honestly can't tell the differnence between the same EMG's on mahogany or alder. I would notice the difference if there was a 81-85's on Mahog and HZ's on Alder. Really i can't tell the difference from Jackson, LTD , ESP, Schecter or Gibsons with EMGs. Maybe It's just me but I honestly can't.

well, that's fine man, just keep in mind, it does sound different to other people, I sure can tell a difference. EMG's in alder, basswood, and mahogany all sound different to me, and I own all three kinds of wood with EMG's. Pickups can only work with what they are given, they aren't creating any of the sound. They have certain characteristics of what they pickup and how much, so all pups sound different, but they all still can only work with what they are given. They are a magnetic based pickup, just like any other pickup, they just use a powered preamp so the magnet can be a lot weaker. This allows less affect on the strings, and a lot less feedback. They still use the same principles as any other pickup though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
You should just stop commenting on stuff you've obviously never tried. Really, EMG are just like any other pickup, put them in crap wood, and they will sound as such. Basswood and alder are both good tonewoods, neither sound "crappy" with EMG's. I've owned both woods with EMG's, and if it sounds crappy, it's most likely the rest of your setup or the player.

TS, there is a reason agathis is used in mostly lower end guitars. It's a plentiful wood that's easy to work with, but it's tonal characteristics leave something to be desired once your ear develops. It does sound a lot better than something like plywood though, just don't expect miracles. It's fine for a starter guitar, listen to what Crunchmeister and Madpickin said.

What about really trying them out yourself, with their appropriate matchings?
Page 1 of 2