I've been playing for a few months and I'd really like to start learning theory. Can anyone recommend a theory book for a complete beginner that knows absolutely nothing about music theory? Thanks for any help.
Guitar Music Theory: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask by Tom Kolb. It is a really good one. and has just about everything in it too. cost me only like $20.
Quote by HxC Til The End
Guitar Music Theory: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were Afraid To Ask by Tom Kolb. It is a really good one. and has just about everything in it too. cost me only like $20.

Cool, I'm gonna look into that. Thanks.
Guitar Grimoire- Scales And Modes
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
FastTrack - Chords and Scales

It's designed for beginners, but I find that it's pretty helpful for some basic stuff.

It has, if I remember correctly, over 1,000 different chord shapes and quite a lot of scales and modes.

It doesn't do a great job of explaining everything, but it'd be a great book for reviewing patterns.
Theory for the Contemporary Guitarist by Guy Capuzzo Published by Alfred (National Guitar Workshop) $9.95
--Its a great book on the basics of theory (notes, time signatures, keys, etc.), and then it covers Scale Theory (Major, Minor, Relative, and Parallel Minors), Intervals (Qualities and Inversions), Chords (Maj and Minor Triads, 7ths, Maj. 7ths, Minor 7ths Diatonic Triads and Diatonic 7ths, and Inversions), Pentatonic, Blues and Altered Blues Scales, The Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scales, Modes of the Major Scale, Altered Chords (9th, 11th, 13th, etc), Modes of the Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scale), Symmetrical Scales, Altered Dominant Chords, Substitutions, 12 Bar Blues, and Chord Progressions.

Everything About Guitar Chords by Wilbur M. Savidge Published by Amsco $16.95
--It covers a good amount about chords with good diagrams to help the reader understand better. It has some typos every now and again, but it's helpful none-the-less.

Chords & Progressions for Jazz & Popular Guitar by Arnie Berle Published by Amsco $19.95
--Its a good book to cover the two most popular genres played on guitar. Popular being everything modern (in this book atleast) and Jazz being Post 1950 (<- a shot in the dark at the date) Modern Jazz. It goes through Chords, and Progressions in detail, has a great Chord Theory Introduction, and it is packed with information.

The Guitarists Bookshelf by Various Authors Published by Amsco $19.95
--An amazing reference book. Covers all basic and intermediate theory, and has a chord dictionary, and scale dictionary inside it. If you play the piano or another instrument it helps relate the guitar to that instrument.

And then among books I haven't used (yet), but i've heard about from many different sources (teachers, fellow players, websites)

Guitar Method Books Published by Hal Leonard or Mel Bay
Music Theory by Tom Kelb and Published by Hal Leonard $17.95 w/CD (As mentioned in an above post I think)
Harmony and Theory by Keith Wyatt and Carl Schroeder Published by ? $17.95 (Also mentioned above)
Rythym Riffs by Greg Koch Published by Hal Leonard $9.95 w/out CD (I think)
and then
Scale Finder, Arpeggio Finder, and Chord Finders Published by Hal Leonard are incredebly helpful to have lying around. All for $6.95 each.

Sorry a few of them arent just theory or basic theory, but if your teaching yourself of want to read about guitar all of these books contain a lot of information.
Inferiors revolt in order that they may be equal, and equals that they may be superior. Such is the state of mind which creates revolutions. -Aristotle

Quote by JMack
you got something against americans? at least we dont get whales stuck in our rivers.
Quote by Nachtmusik
Theory for the Contemporary Guitarist by Guy Capuzzo Published by Alfred (National Guitar Workshop) $9.95
--Its a great book on the basics of theory (notes, time signatures, keys, etc.), and then it covers Scale Theory (Major, Minor, Relative, and Parallel Minors), Intervals (Qualities and Inversions), Chords (Maj and Minor Triads, 7ths, Maj. 7ths, Minor 7ths Diatonic Triads and Diatonic 7ths, and Inversions), Pentatonic, Blues and Altered Blues Scales, The Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scales, Modes of the Major Scale, Altered Chords (9th, 11th, 13th, etc), Modes of the Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scale), Symmetrical Scales, Altered Dominant Chords, Substitutions, 12 Bar Blues, and Chord Progressions.

Everything About Guitar Chords by Wilbur M. Savidge Published by Amsco $16.95
--It covers a good amount about chords with good diagrams to help the reader understand better. It has some typos every now and again, but it's helpful none-the-less.

Chords & Progressions for Jazz & Popular Guitar by Arnie Berle Published by Amsco $19.95
--Its a good book to cover the two most popular genres played on guitar. Popular being everything modern (in this book atleast) and Jazz being Post 1950 (<- a shot in the dark at the date) Modern Jazz. It goes through Chords, and Progressions in detail, has a great Chord Theory Introduction, and it is packed with information.

The Guitarists Bookshelf by Various Authors Published by Amsco $19.95
--An amazing reference book. Covers all basic and intermediate theory, and has a chord dictionary, and scale dictionary inside it. If you play the piano or another instrument it helps relate the guitar to that instrument.

And then among books I haven't used (yet), but i've heard about from many different sources (teachers, fellow players, websites)

Guitar Method Books Published by Hal Leonard or Mel Bay
Music Theory by Tom Kelb and Published by Hal Leonard $17.95 w/CD (As mentioned in an above post I think)
Harmony and Theory by Keith Wyatt and Carl Schroeder Published by ? $17.95 (Also mentioned above)
Rythym Riffs by Greg Koch Published by Hal Leonard $9.95 w/out CD (I think)
and then
Scale Finder, Arpeggio Finder, and Chord Finders Published by Hal Leonard are incredebly helpful to have lying around. All for $6.95 each.

Sorry a few of them arent just theory or basic theory, but if your teaching yourself of want to read about guitar all of these books contain a lot of information.

Wow, thanks a lot for all the recommendations.