I am just wondering if anyone knows what type of pickups, guitars and amps were used when Metallica recorded Ride the Lightning. I love the lead tones off songs like Fade to black and some others. I know that is wasn't EMG's and ESP's like now.
I believe James used.

JCM 800s
Epi flying V -------- (both stock)
Gibson Explorer -/

Kirk used

JCM 800s
Dunlop Cry-baby Wah
t.c. electronic M200
Roland VG-8
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Boss SE-50
ESP Strat

thats all i can think of now.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
the flying v hetfield had actually a had a duncan in the bridge but i dunno what it was

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
and kirk didnt have the esp strat till and justice for all days the strat he use be for that was some kind of copy

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
From the James Hetfield Rig thread

The first "main" guitar he had with Metallica was the White Epiphone Flying V. James installed a Seymour Duncan Invader into the bridge position and an unknown Seymour Duncan in the neck.

"I got my white V in 1980, " James Hetfield recalls. "It was the second guitar I ever owned, and I probably bought it for $200. I knew it was a copy, but we treated it as a real Gibson. I wanted a white one because Michael Schenker of U.F.O. had one, so I needed one, too. The neck snapped on it twice on tour. It's been glued quite a few times. It's got Seymour Duncan pickups in it, with a little more output for the crunch than the originals had. The only other thing that's customized is the artwork [laughs]. That was the first guitar I started scratching stuff into."

The White Explorer was made in 1984, and was "cream white" with no pickguard and the 3-way switch near the volume/tone controls instead of on the tip of the sticking out part. It originally came with Gibson 496R and 500T pickups, but they were changed to EMG 81/81 in 1987, because they had tighter bass. It's got a black headstock, dot inlays, and chrome hardware. James put a piece of white tape on the corner, and it's got the "SO WHAT!" design. It was last used on the MONSTERS OF ROCK tour
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
the leads in fade to black were also tuned up to 450hz opposed to the standard 440hz. just in case u were wondering
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
Quote by The Unforgaven
the leads in fade to black were also tuned up to 450hz opposed to the standard 440hz. just in case u were wondering

are you sure? it sounds perfect when i play it in 440hz.
well the human ear cant really tell the difference between 440hz and 400hz so 450hz isnt a really big difference to 440hz but there ARE people who can hear it so...(just a minor detail to get FTB perfect)
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.