If I didn't want to spend too terribly much on effects and need a fairly good and versitile setup what brands/types should I look for. Like what does a reverb, chorus, overdrive, shifter, and tremolo do to your sound, and what are the best brands to look at other than Boss.

Now I have a cheapo behringer overdrive/distorion that sounds horrible when its on and even screws stuff up when it is off.
well im assuming your playing bass, so make sure its not a guitar effect, but try a digitech multieffects processor, they get a TON of sounds and are pretty cheap.
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
well im assuming your playing bass, so make sure its not a guitar effect, but try a , they get a TON of sounds and are pretty cheap.

yup a bass. Thanks. that one looks like it would do just about everything i'd need.
Actually, guitar pedals can be used on bass, it doesn't sound as good, but it can work.

And I'll advice against cheap multieffects, usually it's alot of crappy ones. IMO it's better to invest in good single effects.
Quote by grimreaper65
Ibanez PD7.

Pretty good Distortion/Overdrive for moderately cheap.

Yep, pretty good pedal
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Russian Big Muff, there just as cheap as the Ibanez one!! Honest!! And loads of people use them!!!
You want a piece of the Pi.

I apologise, I couldn't resist.
Co-Founder of the Midnight Sunday Mad Squad. PM Me to join.

Quote by goods2006
"OOOOOH AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET!!!!!!, LETS SEE HOW LONG WE CAN SHOCK OURSELVES FOR BEFORE WE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"