Page 1 of 2
What fingers do you use for power chords? I use my first and my pinky. One of my guitar teachers is telling me to use my pinky but the other one is telling me to use my 3rd finger. Which one should I use and why? The guitar teacher telling me to use my pinky said to use my pinky because it is easier to move the power chord around. And I havent asked the other one why I should use my 3rd. So why should I, if I should at all?
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
what the hell you have 3 guitars and yet you dont know how to do power chords may god have mercy on your soul.

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
use your 3rd and pinky, dont barre them.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Using pinky hurts after a while, i use my 3rd for the 2nd string of the chord and somsimes pinky on the 3rd to make it sound full-er
You must sacrifice a baby llama to the sun gods.
Quote by guitarphillip
what the hell you have 3 guitars and yet you dont know how to do power chords may god have mercy on your soul.

i 2nd that. use whatever finger is more combfortable to you. besides, you guitar teachers dont tell you how to wipe your ass do they?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Leave him alone! hes just want to know which one you use! i use my 1st and pinky, i have small hands
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
whatever feels good, maybe you can try a different technique on each of your guitars, try to learn how to play b4 buying a 4th axe
i can play pretty well lol, i just wanted to know what YOU GUYS used, I am goingto stick with my technique I was just curious about ur guys's playing style.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Whatever feels right. I use either first and second or first and third depending.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Welsh Guitar
Leave him alone! hes just want to know which one you use! i use my 1st and pinky, i have small hands

Thank you lol
i use my first finger and i barre with my third
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Hell it doesn't matter, whatever is comfortable. Some people swear by the 3 finger way, but lots of people find using the ring or pinky fingers to bar the two notes most comfortable.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
u will develop better playing if u maximize the amount of frets between ur fingers, thus i tune the guitar so everything is a powerchord
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
i use my 1st and 3rd, and to add an octave, i use my third to cover the string below (UNLESS ITS ON THE B STRING -- then i use my pink), but i should prolly use my pinky for octaves =\. i have small hands, but since ive been using 3rd, ive gotten used to it, so although it may feel like a strech in my hand more than if i used my pinky, i can go to it faster. but yeah as everyone says, use whats comfortable.
i use my pointer and my ring finger but sometime i use my pointer and my ring finger and my pinkey like pinkey over my ring finger.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
tell 'em you have ebola. if they ask any questions, start bleeding out of your nipples.
First, third, and pinky.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
not only does this guy have three guitars, he has TWO guitar teachers! what kind of guy has two freaking teachers and is still debating which way to do power chords?? didnt your TWO guitar teachers tell you the right way to do it? maybe if you stuck to one guy's lesson plan and didnt let the other teacher take you off on a whole other path, you would have all this stuff set in stone already.
dude, i know which one I am using and am going to always use! I just wanted to know why one of my teachers wanted me to use my 3rd finger. Jesus Christ! Sorry if I misphrased my first post.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
not only does this guy have three guitars, he has TWO guitar teachers! what kind of guy has two freaking teachers and is still debating which way to do power chords?? didnt your TWO guitar teachers tell you the right way to do it? maybe if you stuck to one guy's lesson plan and didnt let the other teacher take you off on a whole other path, you would have all this stuff set in stone already.

As the TS said he was asking people how they did there powerchords, not how he should.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by guitarphillip

lol I'm gonna sig that
Quote by Dave_Mc
Aw, dammit, I thought this was about the "half-naked chicks giveaway" with the pictures of guitars...

Quote by guitarphillip
^^ Zekk, Did you read his post? It clearly states "Which one should I use and why?"

I always use my first finger the lowest on the neck, then if it is one fret down I use my middle finger if it is two frets down then I use my ring finger, and if it is three frets down I use my pinky.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
I always use my First finger and Pinky, I find it comfortable..alot of guitarists do this, including Eric Clapton.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Dunlop GCB-95 Wah-Wah Pedal
  • Zoom 707 II

Favorite Guitar Player(s)

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
Quote by Funky P
use your 3rd and pinky, dont barre them.

thank god there is someone here who acctually sounds half decent.
i have not heard a power chord that is barred with one finger that sounds good in a LONG TIME. noone has enough strength to fully get the higher string.

if you use the 3rd and pinky, you will be alot more versatile in your playing

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by JanickClone
thank god there is someone here who acctually sounds half decent.
i have not heard a power chord that is barred with one finger that sounds good in a LONG TIME. noone has enough strength to fully get the higher string.

if you use the 3rd and pinky, you will be alot more versatile in your playing

That's not necessarily true. I have long fingers, so it's easier to put full pressure on the strings since I can use just the tip of my ring finger to barre both strings. Using my 3rd and pinky tends to slow me down.

I use my 1st and 3rd. I play with a lot of quick chord changes and find this method provides me with the quickest/most smooth transition. Sometimes I'll use my thumb on the low E, but this is only when I really need to make a fast transition (and need to use the low E).
Last edited by colin617 at Aug 17, 2006,
yea i just use my index, ring and pinky. its how i learned to do them so its how im used to doing it. i also keep my tumb wraped around the neck so i can mute the low e if im doing a root 5 power chord and by doing that it forces my other fingers to go across the other strings and mutes them just incase i strike them.
i use my 1st and 3rd....sometime i wont barre it and throw the pinky in there
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I rememeber reading something where James Hetfield uses his pinky but Kirk Hammet uses his ring finger. They are both pretty awesome guitarists so take your pick dude. Me personally I use the ring finger if I need to go one fret higher with my pinky , but most of the time using my pinky is more comfortable.
Quote by djspank
I rememeber reading something where James Hetfield uses his pinky but Kirk Hammet uses his ring finger. They are both pretty awesome guitarists so take your pick dude. Me personally I use the ring finger if I need to go one fret higher with my pinky , but most of the time using my pinky is more comfortable.

well it dont matter too much about power chords?..seeing as how there simple any way

but im reading a book called Blues Guitar Inside and out and it says that att all time you should use one finger per fret like

E|-1--2--3--4---------------------------------|

I M R P

but also higher up you should extend you pinky and index fingers one fret

like this

E|----5--6--7--8--9--10----------------------------

I I M R P P
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Last edited by numbfinger at Aug 17, 2006,
1st and 3rd, I barre a lot. I can't barre at all with my pinky(it's useable, but still retarded). I'm alright with the barring though.
Quote by E Daws
^^ Zekk, Did you read his post? It clearly states "Which one should I use and why?"

I always use my first finger the lowest on the neck, then if it is one fret down I use my middle finger if it is two frets down then I use my ring finger, and if it is three frets down I use my pinky.

I misphrased the first post, sorry.
You only barre if your doing the full power chord. If your just doing the root and it's 5th, then you use your 3rd and pinky.
Doesn't matter it's a personal prefrence, i use my pinky and first finger i have no problems.
Quote by Holy Magenta
No, I don't belive in any afterlife. Your brain dies, everything goes black, the end.

^ thats also my belief.
1st & 3rd - I use my pinky to fret the octave when playing clean or accoustic and adding open notes, otherwise I bar the 5th and octave with my 3rd.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I just use my 1st and 3rd fingers. It's much easier to switch strings this way, but it does start to ache after a while....
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Whatever feels right to you. Sometimes I use my second if the chord is in the upper registers.

Sometimes I'll use my 2nd and pinky.
Quote by The Unforgaven
u will develop better playing if u maximize the amount of frets between ur fingers, thus i tune the guitar so everything is a powerchord

By this you mean you down tune a full step on the E string so you can play 1 finger power chords, right? Otherwise, "wtf?"
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Page 1 of 2