We all know that the notes e, g, b, and d# make up the chord Em(Maj7). But if the only d# is used as the bass note, you could also call it Em/d#. Thus different names for chords are be used for different purposes.

This got me thinking... why isn't there a name for chords were the outsider note is the highest note in the chord? I mean, the highest note of a chord can be a very valuable melodic tool when playing solo.

As Steve Vai said in an interview with guitar world, "The chord itself gives it it's atmosphere, but the g note on the bottom [the bass note] gives it it's personality."... or something like that. The same could be said for my idea (with a couple bits mixed around a bit), an Em chord could set a certain atmospere, and an f#, a, d, etc. could give the chord it's own personality.

As for notation, I think exponents would suit the chord well. For example, if a chord has the notes a, c#, e, and a single g on top, it could be called (A)^g. Or if the notes were f, b, e, g, and an f# at the top, I would call it (Em/f)^f#.

For the more knowledgeable UG users: would you consider this a good idea?
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
or it could just be a chord inversion notated by the key, degree and inversion interval

for example, In the key of E minor, E is the frist degree (E because it's the root of the chord), and the F# is the third of the chord. if you put the F as the bass note, then you have put the chord in first inversion. it's notated like this: i6. (the six is subscript, but due to the constraints of the text i have no way to show that) the lowercase "i" is roman numeral for one. so what you have done is re-invent the wheel in a way only somebody who doesnt know music theory would
Nope there are already names for that chord you just have to learn how to use the chord names. They get a little complicated sometimes, but they are easy to figure out chord names once you figure out how to build and name chords. Id explain further, but it would take some time.
alright, you're no hemingway, but this is probably the most intelligent post I've ever seen on this webiste. There's not many qoutes out there by Stever Vai, and that's my favorite part. You have a great point.
Please burn down pop radio stations.

P.S. if you qoute one of my posts, I probably won't read anything you say; Don't waste your time.
go to musictheory.net, i think they had some way of notating chord inversions with that 6, or something like 6/4 depending on the inversion. you can also think of it as chorded melody, in other words, use whatever inversion of the chord that makes it so the melody note is highest. for general reference, here are some inversion names

1, 3, 5 not inverted or root position
3, 5, 1 first inversion
5, 1, 3 second inversion