Hi guys. I'm looking for some dark'ish sounding Progressive bands such as Tool, APC & Opeth. Things such as Manyard sounding vocals, preferably mixed together with Classical Piano and Electric Guitar. Would anyone have any reccommendations? Thanks in advance!
Everygrey has a very dark sound, and what I've heard of Shadow gallery (which I admit is limited, but awesome) is at times pretty dark.
Oh yeah I forgot about Evergrey! I've got a few of their songs.

Haven't heard of Shadow Gallery before, I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks!
I believe in the metal recommendation thread there is a section for metal prog bands, maybe check that out?

I'm not sure if it's your thing, but you might want to check out Red by King Crimson, both the song and the album.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Yeah I've already taken a look at the Metal recommendation thread, I just posted here to see if you guys had any further recommendations for darker sounding Prog bands.

I've already had a listen to King Crimson, they're a great band, just not something I'd listen to. Thanks anyway!
Alright, sounds good.

I'm more of a classic prog fan, I guess you could say. I've been listening to more Opeth lately, though.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
Alright, sounds good.

I'm more of a classic prog fan, I guess you could say. I've been listening to more Opeth lately, though.

Nice taste, Opeth are an amazing band. I prefer their acoustic/clean vocals to their death metal stuff though.

EDIT: I just discovered another darkish Progressive band by the name of Anathema. Anyone who's interested should check them out.
Last edited by Z٥S٥ at Aug 16, 2006,
You might like Agalloch and Novembre. Pain of Salvation can be dark at times... most of Remedy Lane and Be are pretty dark, if I understand what you mean by 'dark'.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Adagio is pretty awesome
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
Symphony X ??

not actually a fan of Dark progressive, and not quite sure either what that Dark really is.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
It's not prog, but I am currently listening to Crypticorifislit by Senthil and I must say it's some of the darkest music I've ever heard.

Probably not your cup of tea, I'm just saying it since we're on the topic of dark music.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
I guess you could call Eternal Tears Of Sorrow prog, and also like Snow said Agalloch, and also Aghora.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I'd say Symphony X and Nevermore have some dark sounding songs.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Van Der Graaf Generator
Green Carnation
Disillusion
Univers Zero
Shub Niggurath
Archaia
Guapo
Universal Totem Orchestra
Museo Rosenbach
Il Ballleto di Bronzo
Yeti
Pain of Salvation
Art Zoyd
Morte Macabre
maudlin of the Well
Anekdoten
Kayo Dot
Fantomas
Somnambulist
Anglagard
Endraum
Das Ich
Goethes Erben
Lacrimosa
Thork
Jacula
Psychotic Waltz
Adagio
Standarte
Third Ear Band
Faust
Seigmenn
Tangerine Dream
Gnidrolog
Comus
Shylock
Dün
Zoar
Island
Arena
The Nazgül
Peter Frohmader
Code III
Dies Irae
/thread
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Anathema is doom metal, last I checked. Good band regardless though. Evergrey definately?check out Monday Morning Apocalypse.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Yeah VomitalXX, some of those bands are probably the farthest you can get from sounding "dark" while still being prog

Still an okay list though.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
I guess you could call Eternal Tears Of Sorrow prog, and also like Snow said Agalloch, and also Aghora.

those keyboards are killer
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever

ahh!

How had I forgotten about EToS in a thread like this. Good quality band right there. I also second Adagio. Arcturus is another option, The Chaos Path rules.
I don't know if they're in the metal recommendation list already, but I reckon ISIS are pretty dark and progressive.

Both of their most recent albums (Oceanic and Panopticon) are totally brooding and powerful.

If you haven't already checked them out, I'd give them a go.