higher strings probably.
or it was that freaky indian twangy instrument
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they're basically a 4 string bass paired with strings one octave up.
It can be one of two things.
A) The bass version of a 12-string guitar. Strings doubled up with the octave above it. EeAaDdGg
B) A bass with 8 seperate strings, seen here
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
Quote by xDoMyGuitarNoWx
theres a 12 string bass :|

Well, that was relevant
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
12 string goes with two strings an octave higher than the normal. somewhere i read that sometimes the 2 strings are different tuned, like a 1/4th lower and higher than the normal sound to give a better chorus sound. and the octave strings are above the normal, so its like eeEaaAddDggG (eEaAdDgG for the 8 string bass)

www.12stringbass.com
www.8stringbass.com

can be possible to have octave strings for a 6 string bass too
if you want to hear what the octave 8-stringer sounds like, listen to some early hendrix while he was playing with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. I believe Noel (Hendrix in the studio) used a Hagstrom 8 string bass.

link w/ soundclips
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Aug 17, 2006,
check cheap trick. i believe the bassist for them started the 8 string paired thing. i could be wrong.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^^ Yeah he started the 12 string, triple octaves as well. 8 and 12 string ain't that common to be honest. John Entwhiste had some but I don't think he ever recorded or played with them. I played a 12 string bass, takes some time to get used to having a wider neck and having to fret 3 strings at once to make a nice sound. It sounds lovely though, plus you can do little melodys on the higher strings so you can double it up as a melody intrument too. It be awesome to do riffing on, like Led Zepplin or some RATM where the guitar and bass are doing the same thing.
I have a dean edge 8 string. 8 string basses have like special place in music and if you use them correctly they are amazing but if used incorrectly sound terrible.

Really good for bands with one bass player and then one guitarist fills up the sound.

Really good with some warm mild distortion.

Also they wah wah amazingly.

Much better for slower cleaner music were their tone can be appreciated. Basically youd never been able to use one as your main bass i use mine for a few select songs and its also just a cool thing to have in your collection since most people have no idea what it is
you dont have to have 8 strings to make people not to know what it is. once at a gig another small band's guitarists didnt know what my 6 string one is...
Quote by macsek
you dont have to have 8 strings to make people not to know what it is. once at a gig another small band's guitarists didnt know what my 6 string one is...

that´s not uncommon, I also get akward looks with my fretless. People have said it´s a cheap bass because it doesn´t have frets, and other kind of comments.
now think of a 6 string fretless, how would people comment it? "what a strange violin"? i shall stop thinking of it before i turn into melancholy...
another example, the bassest of pearl jam Has been known to use 4 8 and 12 string basses, he also plays fretless, If you wanna hear a good sample of an 8/12 string (I can't tell) is jaremy (the song) From pearl jam,
Quote by Spade1
another example, the bassest of pearl jam Has been known to use 4 8 and 12 string basses, he also plays fretless, If you wanna hear a good sample of an 8/12 string (I can't tell) is jaremy (the song) From pearl jam,

Its most likely an 8-string, because he uses a strumming technique, twelve string basses are ERB's with ridiculously huge necks and twelve individual strings. The 8-stringer is a four string bass w/ paired strings that are an octave higher (as mentioned before) like a 12-string guitar, and from the ones I have tried out you can use a strumming technique similar to a guitar.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Ive never heard of 12-string (double octave) basses. Are they boutique basses or do some brands manufacture some? Seems a bit excessive for a bass.
Quote by Killibinizik
Ive never heard of 12-string (double octave) basses. Are they boutique basses or do some brands manufacture some? Seems a bit excessive for a bass.

theres a few on ebay. more than i thought there would be.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
How exactly do you play 8/12 strings basses? Do you fret the octave strings in addition to the normal strings or just play them seperatley? And if you fret them can you still fingerpick?
Quote by Spade1

I'm 95% sure he uses a 12-string bass.

Edit - From Wikipedia:

The song is in the key of A, and intertwines the parallel keys of major and minor frequently. It features prominent usage of Jeff Ament's 12-string Hamer bass guitar, which is pivotal to the sound of the introduction and end of the recording. The song starts off with the bassline and quiet harmonic notes also on the 12 string bass, and continues in a sedate vein until after the second chorus, when densely layered guitars and vocals gradually enter. At the end the instruments gradually fade out until all that is audible is clean guitar and 12-string bass, like the intro. Both instruments play a descending minor key melody, fading out with one single note.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I'm 95% sure he uses a 12-string bass.

Edit - From Wikipedia:

The song is in the key of A, and intertwines the parallel keys of major and minor frequently. It features prominent usage of Jeff Ament's 12-string Hamer bass guitar, which is pivotal to the sound of the introduction and end of the recording. The song starts off with the bassline and quiet harmonic notes also on the 12 string bass, and continues in a sedate vein until after the second chorus, when densely layered guitars and vocals gradually enter. At the end the instruments gradually fade out until all that is audible is clean guitar and 12-string bass, like the intro. Both instruments play a descending minor key melody, fading out with one single note.

Well I guess that solves the speculation on what Jeff played lol. In fact im going to listen to Jeremy right now, its one of my PJ faves .