im looking at getting a set of EMG pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 and I have a few questions... Wil the pickups work? I only have two nobs (tone and volume) so do the EMGs use more than 2 nobs? and is there any soldering involved in the instalation or the Pickups?
No no and... no.

They will sound like shit, basically.

Also, unless you have a tube amp, EMG's are a waste.
Quote by wylde_overdrive

Not really. I use them through a cube and they sound alot better/clearer/defined than a jb/jazz combo, though I am getting a new tube amp next week.
hmm idk much about the LP specials wiring, youll need active electronics, you could run the tone and volume both to their own nob for both pickups it really ruins alot of the things you can do with emgs, honestly if i were you id just save up and get a better guitar
well i want a epi zakk wylde custom or a b.c. Rich or PRS, but i am only 16 and have a ****ty job and no money. but i am saving
dont even consider bc rich horrible tone no matter what you do, now the PRS SE Tremontis go pretty cheap used and with a pickup change are a solid guitar
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
ok here's a useful answer ...

i installed an emg into my cheapo guitar. volume and tone pots are supplied because EMG's are slightly diff to regular passive pickups but it's not too hard to install. got a soldering iron? you'll need to solder a few wires but that's about it. there should be enough space in your lp's cavity to have a 9v battery but before you get the emg's open up the electronics cavity on the back of your guitar and shove a 9v battery in their to test the size.

have fun!
Marty
Quote by Wylde_Life
well i want a epi zakk wylde custom or a b.c. Rich or PRS, but i am only 16 and have a ****ty job and no money. but i am saving

Zakk Wylde epis cost a fair bit... BC Rich fall appart after a few months (IMO its worth it just for the Mockingbird )... and PRS are gonna cost ££££s for a real one and atleast £350 for an SE.

I am also a 16 year old and I have an awesome job, but I still cant afford a PRS , but not to worry I'm thinking baout getting a Parker instead because they are so damn cool.

Also, I notice the brands you have pointed out dont have active pickups in their guitars...

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
Zakk Wylde epis cost a fair bit... BC Rich fall appart after a few months (IMO its worth it just for the Mockingbird )... and PRS are gonna cost ££££s for a real one and atleast £350 for an SE.

I am also a 16 year old and I have an awesome job, but I still cant afford a PRS , but not to worry I'm thinking baout getting a Parker instead because they are so damn cool.

Also, I notice the brands you have pointed out dont have active pickups in their guitars...

Ash

hey man wats your obsession with actives? i got actives cause they came with the guitar i fell in love with but i probably would have prefered some high output passives that have a bit more character, ive managed to get a lot of character out of my pickups now but it's taken a lot of tinkering.
Marty
Ok, just please don't get EMG's for an Epi LP Special II! They will sound terrible. That's the bottom line. The body material for that guitar is laminated alder/maple. They will sound disgustingly bright and they won't have the sound you hear from famous people with EMG's.

Don't get them man, save for a new guitar and amp instead
Kirk Hammett's guitars are alder, but he has a very expensive setup too (that and, like I said the body material for the Epi LP Special II is laminated alder/maple). My friend and my cousin also have this guitar, and I had to convince them not to get EMG's too. Just don't do it.
Quote by wylde_overdrive

One of the most asinine posts I've ever heard. I run EMG's into my Madison and get crushing tone.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
^You just dot get full EMG power
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Spynal
One of the most asinine posts I've ever heard. I run EMG's into my Madison and get crushing tone.

Sorry, I meant to put IMO.
what are good pickups for KFK, Wylde, Mustaine type sounds that will work good in my guitar? Ive heard the Semour Duncans are good
You can put EMG's in any guitar and they will sound like emg's. IMO you should only put emg's on a crap guitar bacuase putting them on something like a Gibson is retarded. Zakk can do it because he can. It just takes the tone quality away from the wood in your guitar which is what you pay for. Why ruin something great with emg's?
^^^ wow, but anyway the Seymour Duncan makes alot of good pickup sets infact they have matched sets for 129.99 for both p/us i use the JB Jazz myself, but we got a set of livewires in the store the other day not bad for active pickups
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Buying a set of pickups that cost more than your guitar, is almost as retarded as buying a set rims that cost more than your car. Why kick a dead horse?
Quote by magicninja_
I use an Invader in the neck and a Dimebucker in the Bridge of my LP. Both are Seymour Duncans for those who don't know. I think they sound great,

I saw that in the pictures of your gear thread. Why did you put an invader in the neck of a 79' LP?
Quote by mikeman
Buying a set of pickups that cost more than your guitar, is almost as retarded as buying a set rims that cost more than your car. Why kick a dead horse?

because i have no money to get a new guitar and i can always put the pickups in a new guitar.
Yet you have $200 to blow on a set of pickups. Ridiculous. Well, whatever floats your boat.