Hey, I'm heading off to University next year, and I'm hoping to get a decent acoustic to bring along (not necessarily something to last forever, but in a decent price range [under $300 Canadian, which some models I've seen are]). I've tried some of the lower end Seagull models and they sound fairly good, but I'm no guitar connoisseur, so I don't know the good from the bad. Does anyone here play any? If so, what did you like/dislike about it? I'm looking for something to play both chording and fingerstyle on it, so it should (like most acoustics do, as far as I know) be able to handle some alternate tunings and wear like that.
my friends got 2 and that (chording and finger style) is all he plays. Ive played his, its got pretty good tone, and he said some about being able to tune it really low and still have it sound good. plus he takes it every where without a case and its really sturdy
I've owned a Seagull S12+ for about 3 years and love it. Plays and sounds really good. No complaints at all.
I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house
I don't know why I call him Gerald
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse
Ah, great, this is really good because I hadn't really heard that much about them from anywhere except the store I was going to, and I thought it sounded good when I played it but I'm still no pro, so I wouldn't know this from that. Also, the sturdiness issue was one of my main fears with it, as it didn't feel as resiliant as some of the other guitars I looked at. Another quick question (could be somewhat general I suppose, but here goes). Would silk and steel strings work on this guitar (or any acoustic guitar generally speaking, meaning are they not designed only for certain guitar models)?
I've got a Simon & Patrick which is also a Godin company and covers about the same proce points as Seagull, although the Seagulls ultimately go higher. Personally, I think that Seagulls and Simon & Patricks are some of the best dollar-for-dollar guitars there are. Of everyone I know who owns one no one has anything bad to say about them considering the price they paid.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Don't knock the "gulls". I just happened onto a used '03 Artist Mosaic several months back; hey,the price was right. I had been looking off and on at the S, M,and Artist series. Actually, I was trying to decide whether the Artist series were wrth extra $$ over the M series.

These are pretty good guitars. I have large hands * it's not an issue, but some people are discouraged by their wider nut width. Given the overall neck profile they are an easy play. Get a professional setup and you will not regret it. If I have anything remotely negative to say about it, it's this. I'm in Houston TX & I find it extremely sensitive to temperature/humidity fluctuations , moreso than any of my others.
Don't knock the "gulls". I just happened onto a used '03 Artist Mosaic several months back; hey,the price was right. I had been looking off and on at the S, M,and Artist series. Actually, I was trying to decide whether the Artist series were wrth extra $$ over the M series.

These are pretty good guitars. Some pepole are discouraged by the wider nut width, but given the overall neck profile they are an easy play. Get a professional setup and you will not regret it. If I have anything remotely negative to say about it, it's this. I'm in Houston TX & I find it extremely sensitive to temperature/humidity fluctuations , moreso than any of my others.
Don't knock the "gulls". I just happened onto a used '03 Artist Mosaic several months back; hey,the price was right. I had been looking off and on at the S, M,and Artist series. Actually, I was trying to decide whether the Artis series were wrth extra $$ over the M series.

These are pretty good guitars. Some pepole are discouraged by the wider nut width, but given the overall neck profile they are an easy play. Get a professional setup and you will not regret it. If I have anything remotely negative to say about it, it's this. I'm in Houston TX & I find it extremely sensitive to temperature/humidity fluctuations , moreso than any of my others.