Ive been playing almost 3 years and still have a shity Vibrato..I was wondering there anything I could use to help. I've tried doing it and listening to greats do it, bb king, clapton..but nothing is working..help?
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Dunlop GCB-95 Wah-Wah Pedal
  • Zoom 707 II

Favorite Guitar Player(s)

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
I've been trying, I know practice makes perfect, but right now its not helping.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
This is some way of doing it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQ5S7zN-Egs

Some other way, is to slide your finger up and down the fretboard inside 1 fret in a fast or regular motion, without changing the key or note its on. But mainly, its just bending the string up and down in fast or regular motion.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
an old guitar teacher of mine said bending up is like opening a door knob, that helped me alot. but vibrato, uhh, thats a toughie. the wrist has got to be loose. vibrato is hard to describe how to get better at
lay back and groove...

Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history "very very good quote"
i had the same problem, you just have to develop that quick wrist... just practice it man and watch some video of stevie ray vaughan, david gilmour any master of vibrato.

and before you know it you will be doing it without even thinking.
yeah you guys are right, my wrist is the one holding me back..I just want to be able to play like gary moore or other greats like that.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
Quote by madpickin03
This is some way of doing it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQ5S7zN-Egs

Some other way, is to slide your finger up and down the fretboard inside 1 fret in a fast or regular motion, without changing the key or note its on. But mainly, its just bending the string up and down in fast or regular motion.

yea thats the way i do it most of the time. i think violinists do it like that too. the only time you can do that is when you bend. but i like the violinist way better than the regular way. it makes it sound more like i voice. just dont go to fast all the time. practice with different speeds of virbrato and use them in different situations.

if you can get the violin way down it will make your playing sound really nice. plus its the easiest way to do virbrato on the high e.
well i used to have a terrible time with vibrato and bending till one day my string broke while i was bending, and i unscrewed the screws on the neck and restrung. Luckily i forgot to put the screw back in and i started playing and i realized how much easier it was to bend and do vibrato because i had the screws in too tight before and the string wouldnt pass through. Thats why it broke in the first place.
I cant do a vibrato the way alot of people do them, just cant.
my tip is just learn to push the string up and down real quick as if doing a bend, completely vertical. i have 0 wrist in it, i just move the finger.
it takes a while to master, but its alot easier to pull off during riffs which is key for thickening sound

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
You must learn to fashion your vibrato to the style of music. My vibrato is a very blues oriented vibrato, I start giving a gentle vibrato as i attack the note and a slightly more vigourous vibrato as the not dies away. Vibrato is an art. That being said BB King and Peter Green are the masters of vibrato.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal