alright so im getting the kerry king 81/85 emg pickups on my B.C rich guitar saturday. ive heard great things but what do you u guys think of them? am i in for a big difference?
If you love metal, you'll love those pickups. I really like mine, I actually play my schecter more than my PRS, because the schecter has the emg's.
CLICK HERE to see my rig
Mesa Dual Rectifier
4x12 Recto Standard
H&K 1x12 Switchblade
Flextone 3 XL
PRS Custom 22 Ten Top
ESP EC-1000
Shecter Gryphon w/ Emg 85/81
Ibanez AEF37
EHX small clone/ holy grail
BBE Sonic maximizer
Boss DD6
EMG's are nice through the right amp. They are very "sharp" with lots of attack and slice, so they sound great through dark amps. I think there are better or just as good pickups for metal, but it's all personal preference.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
hmmm, if your playing straight metal and dont really need a clean tone you could try 2 81s or 81/60 one time i put a 60 in the bridge and i was amazed at the bottom end, i think i did that cuz adam from killswitch does and i wanted to be cool but it was a good sound
Quote by dertjoe
hmmm, if your playing straight metal and dont really need a clean tone you could try 2 81s or 81/60 one time i put a 60 in the bridge and i was amazed at the bottom end, i think i did that cuz adam from killswitch does and i wanted to be cool but it was a good sound

I thought they used a 85/s/s combo? Wait, they do..
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
^ LOL if your a lead player the 81/85 combo will be best if your a rhythm player the 81/60 would be better the 60 has better cleans the 85 better lead tone
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I've got an 81-85 set in my V, absolutely love them.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
^I thought you said the 81 had better lead tone
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
no azn what i was saying is the 85 has a better lead tone than the 60. and if your comment wasnt directed at me ignore my post
Oh ok.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i like the 81s lead tone i just dont like the 81 in the neck. i use my 81 for my lead stuff and i have a 60 in the neck for clean stuff
threadstarter- what model Bc rich are the emg's going in? if its something like an agathis bronze/platinum series then they are gonna sound pretty bad......the wood combined with the crate stack probabaly wont give you the metal tone you are after....
its my KKV kerry king signature series guitar. he has the same pickups in his so it should sound just like his. right?
Quote by CodySG
EMG's are nice through the right amp. They are very "sharp" with lots of attack and slice, so they sound great through dark amps. I think there are better or just as good pickups for metal, but it's all personal preference.

I'd maybe substitute "the emg 81" for where you have "emg's". but yeah, sentiments echoed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by crazy4slipknot
its my KKV kerry king signature series guitar. he has the same pickups in his so it should sound just like his. right?

young padawan, you're falling for the oldest trick in the guitar-marketing book.

do you have kerry king's amp?

do you have his fx?

do you have his exact guitar (i.e. the £2000 model he actually uses, not the £200 knock off made from plywood that bc rich make to fatten their profit margin)?

etc.

THEN you might have a snowball's chance of attaining his tone...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ aye. I mean, it might get you a little closer, but at the end of the day, unless you have all that stuff, you won't get close. amp is 90% of the battle, though, get the same amp, or similar, and you're most of the way there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya you just need a JCM 800 a good OD and a decent guitar with hot pick ups his tone is easy
I have 81/85's in my esp mh1000 and i find they give excellent versatility, i don't think you can go far wrong.