Diary Of A Guitar Player

Well it all started when I was about 11 years old. I was in the back of my fathers old corsica and he was blasting AC/DC...back then it was all about Dr. Dre and snoop dogg..and I was into that I had the backwards hat and the jerseys..I was all about being all rapish. Well..then came on Back in black..I was bobbing my head to raps in my head and then I heard that 3p0 3p0 2b4 lick..and I thought..wow that was pretty cool..I asked my dad what rapper this was..he said it wasnt any rapper it was a classic rock band that he loved when he was a kid and that their name was AC/DC. I borrowed his CD and started listeing to it. I heard that song so many times.. I asked him did he make that noise and he said it was a guitar..I'd seen guitars before and thought..what a stupid insturment not worth the time or effort.

Chapter Two : Playing For The First Time

I had a friend, my best friend. His name was Tim Cross...He lived across the street from me..he had an electric guitar from Wal-Mart..one day I went over to his house and he was playing guitar..I asked him if I could try it..I set it on my lap and just stared at it.. I didn't know what to do. I asked him what to do..he said just put your fingers on the frets and strum...I did, and got this god awful metallic noise..I hated it. I handed him the guitar and walked out.

Chapter Three : Getting Re-Intrested In Guitar Playing

About two years later..I was watching MTV and this band came on, their name wa Blink 182. It was the song Whats my age again..I only caught the tail end of them running around in their underwear..or naked can't rememeber which. But I laughed, I looked them up online and searched for the video. I found it and watched it, it started out with the guitar player playing that awesome clean lick, it was from there I was hooked. I bought the cd, and listened to it all the time..I asked for a guitar for christmas, but never got it. I went back to my friends tim house and he was playing that riff. I demanded he teach me right then..He tried but since i'd never played before..I couldnt play it. He printed me a tab of it and let me borrow his first guitar. I praticed and practiced until I could play it.. of course I could only play it at 25% speed, but that was good to me. This was about 6 months after X-Mas and I begged for the rest of the 6 months to get a guitar..he told me no..but then on X-Mas I woke up to find a guitar shaped gift under the tree, I can't tell you how happy I was.

Chapter Four : Learning to play the guitar

This is when I was about 15. I had just gotten my guitar and I was playing blink 182 songs constantly. I was getting tabs from this site and trying to play them..I wasnt very good, and my dad would always ask me to learn songs way out of my range (Panama, Classical Gas)..He always wanted me to impress him and I never could. I'd show him the new song I just learned from green day and he'd say well what about playing this song..id look up the tab and see this..

e--------------13--12--10-----------------------------------|
b--15b~~~-----------------13--10--10h13p10~~----------------|
g-----------------------------------------------------------|
d-----------------------------------------------------------|
a-----------------------------------------------------------|
e-----------------------------------------------------------|

I didn't know what any of that meant, so I brushed it off..well I kept playing these blink songs and green day songs...then around 2003 I found a band called Avenged Sevenfold..i'd never heard such music before, screaming into the microphone..sweep picking..fast licks..I was fascinated..I quickly looked up tabs..only to find a couple songs..I learned how to play them, I found out what Drop D tuning was..Avenged was all I played until their new cd came out I was barely even good enough to play unholy confessions..but on the new cd some of the things I heard. I had to play, it was about this time I found PowerTab.. this greatly helped with my timing and rhythm. I learned songs such as Beast and The Harlot and Trashed And Scattered...with this music I changed who I was on the inside.. I changed how I thought..I changed my appereance. I wore black nail polish. I wore eye makeup and I wore black clothes from hot topic and had a mohawk. I thought I was awesome. No one could bring me down. It was about this time I started smoking weed and I bought a B.C. Rich Warlock. So about 2005 I'd been playing almost two years and I was fairly good at playing Avenged's stuff I figured id try some other stuff. I found Metallica, and Pink floyd and Megadeth. Three bands that fit who I was, maybe not so much Pink Floyd, but I loved David Glimour. I learned songs from them, attepmted solos. I sucked at playing them so I brushed it off, AGAIN. Like always I went back to what I knew..well I knew this week, something had to change.

Chapter Five : Finding Out Who I Am

I am not who I was..I dont wear these clothes. Inside im a good guy who loves smoking weed. I don't like violence. I love to party and hang with friends. I love playing guitar..But the stuff I listen to isn't who I really like. Its who I thought "They" wanted me to like, so I could fit it. I found out that I am who I am. I had an epiphany. I don't like shred..I don't like the image it gives off. I mean shit I had a girl at work call me "Dirty Looking"..how would that someone feel...exactly like crap..so I went back to what I knew..My preppy polos and sunglasses and sandles and jeans..and my acoustic guitar..its what I love. I love sitting on my couch..smoking some weed with the lights dim and listening to Gary Moore, or Tom Petty, or BB King or Eric Clapton or even The White Stripes. That makes me happy it makes me feel good inside and I love playing their music. Eric claptons "Blue Eyes Blue" is probably my favorite song ever. I don't listen to that scremo crap anymore..It's all about what relaxs me.

~Ethan Wallace.

Thank you to anyone who read this. <3
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Dunlop GCB-95 Wah-Wah Pedal
  • Zoom 707 II

Favorite Guitar Player(s)

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
I just wanted to type it. Thats it really.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
That was ****in beautiful. Cheers to pot smoking. I know how you feel buddy, in a small sense though. Good article though, I liked it a lot.
Thanks alot man, I really apperciate it.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
the only problem with that is the weed bit.....thats not cool man........
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
im not doing weed as a way out, but its something I like to do and something that makes me feel good. you have you beliefs on it and so do I and I respect yours.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
Thanks for reading. <3
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
damn dude..i thought i was kinda in the "rap" scene way back when

but you thought acdc was a rapper..lol damn

but metallica got me started and now ive grown exept i didnt go back to how i dressed and stuff like you..it just got more extreme with me..like i were nothing but band shirts cut-off dickies..colorful hair ( i dont even know the actual color any more)..yeha im not that extreme but yeha i love soloing, fast riffs, sweating from plaing guitar is the best..i never did the make up thing..to hardcore for me? alexi liaho uses it..mabey i should (he looks like a girl so..no)

but yeha nice story man
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
<3 Thanks dude.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
ac/dc got me started too.

When i first heard them i was convinced Brian Johnson was in fact a jet engine.

Good read, too.
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
Very inspiring, maybe later if I have the time I'll post my own life story up till now in here. Full credits to you for the idea of course I think everyone with a story worth telling should do so though.
Thanks for that, I enjoyed reading it - strange how things change so much when your growing up.

Very nice
Member of The Darkness fanclub
I was there for SD's cocksucking forum, August 15th, 2006.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
Thanks for reading everyone.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
lol, i was a metal head from day 1. when i was like 6 or 7 my dad gave me my first cd, white zombie's "illusions of the electric head". damn that was a good album. some people don't think it's right to get a cd like that when your 6, but meh.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
This is cool man, when you said you were all emo, I was thinking how the **** can you do that to yourself, but man i knwo, i used to be like that all goth and ****, But i love listening to blues and smoking dope man
Actually, this was pretty fascinating.

Why not turn this into a thread where everyone posts their diary?
haha hey the kid smokes weed, he was just expressing that since he wa shigh lol
Chapter one: Teh Inspiration

Well, when I was young and had no life...wait...I still am and still haven't found a life...er...anyway, I decided I want to play in a band. I was becoming more interested in music outside my dad's CD collection, and I thought it would be fun to play onstage. When I saw pop and punk bands on TV, I decided that I should play the guitar, quite simply cos I like the sound it makes.

Chapter 2: The first gear

My parents said no to buying me an axe cos I never finish anything I start, but a friend of mine let me borrow his old, 3/4 size nylon string. A month or two later my parents thought "Okay, the kid's serious!" and my dad bought me a Yamaha C-40. Woot!
My grandfather, who used to play the guitar, sent me a chord book so I would start learning. I didn't get very far, so my parents decided I should get a teacher. And I did. His name was Sasha Saedi and he was the best teacher I've ever had (I've only ever had 2...).

Right now I've been playing for four years, and I still suck.

And that's it, really. My story isn't so interesting.
Opps - sorry, posted accidentally again...
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Ok, I would love if everyone posted their own Little story..Im going to restart this thread.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Zoom 707 II

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
Story time!

From listening to Brittany Spears to Avenged Sevenfold - How the hell?

Okay, way way back in the day, when I was a little ankle biter, I used to listen to Brittany Spears, Christina Agulara, and all those other poopy bands (oops, did I say poopy? I meant poppy, really I did). Anyway, at the time, my oldest sister would lock herself in her room and listen to a metal and kinds of stuff I thought was satanic. She was gothic. She scard the sh*t out of me (but seeing as how I was quite young, I sh*t myself fairly regullarly anyways). So years later, I turn 14, and I hear my sister (who had now grown out of the gothic stage and was just really happy and nice all the time... kinda crazy) playing "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by the Darkness. I really liked the song, so I asked if I could borrow her CD and she let me. Anyways, the next day I asked her what else she had that she thought I'd like. So, after she showed me a few CDs, she showed me some Iron Maiden. I was hooked! I'd never heard anything like it. I thought everything she had been listening to all these years was sreaming, kitten sacrificing bands, but no, there was some good stuff! After I burned all of the Iron Maiden CDs she had (almost all they made, I think she just didn't have the live albums), I started getting into all of the other good music she had (Edguy, Hammerfall, Bad Religion, GNR, Cans, mostly European metal stuff). Well, there's how I got into good music.

"You're gonna play guitar? Ha, you won't get far..."

That's what my friend said when I said I wanted to play. That bastard. He said I wouldn't play longer than four months... But, more on that later. It was the beginning of my 8th grade year, and 2 of my best friends played guitar. One day we had to do some report for our music class, and they ended up playing Hotel California in class which I thought was just out of this world. At the time, I had never even thought about guitar. Nor had I realized that there was at least one in almost every band. Ya see, I had never really thought about how music was made, I just listened to it, so it was at this time that a new door opened in my life. I went home and asked my mom about guitar and me playing. She went and got her Taylor from when she used to play (ya right, it was some $10 guitar at most with plastic strings..). My mom handed me a guitar book, and she said good luck.

Actually Starting

Umm... I sucked. I could't hit the right string, I play anything but on the first string, and I pretty much, well, sucked. It didn't help that the guitar wasn't in tune either... We tried to tune it to our piano which worked, but it didn't help because as luck would have it, our piano was probably even further out of tune than the guitar. So after about a month of trying to pretend to play on this peice of wood with plastic attached to it, I decided I wanted an electric like my friends. My parents where weary about letting me get something that was going to be so expensive when I had only been trying for about a month. Heck, my gothic sister used to play acoustic, and they wouldn't let her get an electric until she was done with a year of acustic and lessons. But, my parents ended up letting me, so we went to Guitar Center to check things out. I Didn't know anything about what was good in a guitar, so we pretty much were just like "Can you show me something for $150, that's um, good?". Anyways, the guy showed us some guitar packages, but we ended up buying a used Behringer 15 watt amp, and a Squire Bullet guitar.

The beginning, end, beginning again, and present

I started out not being able to play power chords, not being able to hit the correct string, and not being able to use a pick. Again, I sucked, but my mom was always telling me how good I was (to be nice I hope, if not, man she'd better go have her ears checked...). While my mom was telling me I was great, my brother was always telling me I sucked and that I should learn something good. When I tried to learn the song he wanted me to play, he'd still say it sucked and didn't sound anything like the real thing (half of it was bad playing, okay 98%, but the other 2% was I didn't have good equipment). So I pretty much just stopped playing for about a month. But then, my brother went back to colledge, and I started playing again now that I didn't have anyone to tell me that I sucked. After just a few short months of playing, I was already better than one of my other friends who had been playing for about a year.

Now

I'm still playing, and learning new songs. It's been nearly a year since I started. I'm planning on getting a new guitar, so be expecting a new thread in a day or two asking for help on choosing.

Final words

Remember that kid who said I wouldn't play for more than 4 months? He started playing... than quit after about 2 months.

BTW: Thread starter, great idea, and good story.
-"Son, hurry up, it's almost time to go!"

-"Okay daddy, almost ready."

-"Got your pads son?"

-"Yes dad."

-"Have your helmet?"

-"Yes dad, I do."

-"Good, your bus should be here any minute now..."
Last edited by Iron X Maiden at Aug 17, 2006,