A friend of mine is looking at learning to play bass. He wants a good bass, but wants it to be cheap in price. What are some good quality beginner bass guitars that are $200 or less? How about a small practice amp? He's hoping to get both for about $200. Is that at all possible, or is it usually a bit more?

Also, how are SX basses? They start at about $99...are they good for learning on?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
So...not one person can recommend a decent bass and amp for a beginner?

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
dude don't double post. a good begginer would be a fender bass pack.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
^I've been here longer than you - I know double-posting is frowned upon. And, in most cases it also attracts people who want to flame someone for double-posting. Which, in turn, also attracts people that will actually answer my question.

And, by the looks of things, it actually worked.

So, does anyone else have any recommendations besides the Fender Bass pack? My friend doesn't really like the look of Fender-styled basses. He wants something that looks more like an Ibanez guitar.

And if it helps at all, he'll probably be playing Punk and pop-punk to start with. I know, not the best styles of music, but I'd rather see him picking up an instrument and playing pop-punk than not playing an instrument at all.

So, any other suggestions for a bass and bass amp?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
SX + Best amp he can afford.

Going both used he might be able to find something even halfway decent (SX + good amp) for like maybe 250 total.
haha
^Ok, thanks. I'll go look up amps right now for him and see what I can find.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I actually think Ibanez might do starter bass packs. They seem to be a bit out of that price range, though this one http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIJSB90 is on sale for 229. Or he could get one of those SX's and pick up a fender rumble 15 or comparable amp for around the right price.
I was just on Musician's Friend looking at bass amps, but I honestly can't tell what's good or bad. Do the companies that make sh*tty guitar amps also make sh*tty bass amps?

Can you guys recommend the good brands to look at? I'd like to see him get something decent, and not be stuck with a horrible beginner amp like I was with my guitar.

Also, how loud would a bass amp have to be to be able to play with drums? I know 30-50 watts solid state is usually the minimum for regular guitar amps - is it the same basic rule for bass amps? Are there any bass amps in the $100-$150 price range that would be loud enough for a band practice?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar