Yeah I was just wondering, Im getting an ibanez rg321mh pretty soon and Im going to upgrade the pickups on it. I play metal and some rock. I would like a god metallica-ish tone in the bridge. I dont usually use the neck but when I do its mostly for shred. What I want toknow is could I get what I'm after for £100 or would I have to extend my budget?

And also, can I get a good metal tone (Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth etc) out of a peavey valveking 212?

Thanks
Last edited by duggyrocks at Aug 17, 2006,
Im looking into swineshead pups. They get great praise from most people round here and are cheap. I'm thinking of either xbucker bridge or warthog bridge. Which would be best for metallica type stuff? And Im not sure what to put in the neck. I will be playing mostly shred in the neck pickup.
Last edited by duggyrocks at Aug 17, 2006,
I was just about to suggest swineshead aswell. I'm getting an x-bucker soon. appears to be much better suited for metal. listened to the demos? they were all made with a Les Paul (mahogany, like the RG321) and a Marshall AVT amp.
Last edited by Supersonic^ at Aug 17, 2006,
The valveking should do well for metal, when i played one it had plenty of gain, but some people seem to think it doesn't, so if that's the case you could simply OD it. The X-bucker is a better metal pickup than the warthog, but since you're using a mahogany bodied guitar through a decent valve amp, why not invest in a set of EMG's? The 81/60 combination is good for leads, rhythm and cleans and should come under £100

Bear in mind, the EMG's won't make you instantly sound like Metallica, they use a hell of a lot of expensive gear, however with some EQ'ing you could get fairly close.
Well it hink Swienshead are great, i have a Runaway and its just awesome! For you id say a Warthog is a good idea.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
guitarfetish.com, you can buy a pair of pickups for 30 bucks shipped. (all their pickups sound good)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
swinesheads are great, especially for the price.

what do you mean when you say metallica? ride the lightning era? or more modern (i.e. AJFA or later)?

I'm guessing you want a warthog for the neck- it'll do decent cleans when you need them, and have the power for lead guitar too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ meh, I was about 3...

i'd go with a warthog in the bridge for old metallica, to be honest. It's not all that gainy/modern sounding at all. and also, as an added bonus, the warthog in the bridge is a lot more versatile. for th neck, you could probably get away with a runaway, again for added versatility.

but email jon bell (at swineshead) to see what he says...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah, ok, lol, if you've already emailed, that's fine.

well it depends. old metallica isn't really high gain metal, you see. It depends on your amp too. but yeah, you're right, the warthog is more hard rock. but by hard rock, i include metal bands like maiden, megadeth, old metallica, etc., since although they're "metal", they have more of a "hard rock" tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok so Im gonna get a pair of swinesheads. Now the last thing....... hat colour? YAY! So I can get the body in "weathered black", or "royal blue" which is the first pic. And I can get the pickups in a range of different coulours. A few of my favourites:

BEHOLD! The power of my great ms paint skills!
My tip is a runaway for the neck, it has really nice cleans and then enough power up to Van Halen and has a great lead sound.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ok so the good lads at swineshead recommend I get a pair of xbuckers or a pair of venoms, or a mixture of the both. I think Im gonna go for a xbucker in the bridge and a venom in the neck because if anyone knows their pickups, its them right? Thanks for the help guys.
if i were you, i would worry about the amp first. The pickups upgrade can only do so much.
^ i agree. though it depends how much you can get up to for the amp... and those stock ibby pickups are pretty terrible, as compared to the "get the amp instead" advice which works for most guitars which have alright, but not spectacular stock pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry to invade this thread, but which swinshead combination would do the trick for me if i mostly play jimi hendrix ( I know he used single coil), RHCP, Metallica, Iron Maiden, ZZ top, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton and i occasionaly play songs with clean tone aswell. At The moment i am thinking about Warthog for Bridge and Condor for Neck. What do you think?
^ yeah, that'd be good for that. Also, a runaway for the neck might be nice too.

Or, if you really need the single coil tones, the A.M.P. may be worth a look.

email swineshead to be sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ agreed- with the caveat that our advice won't be just as biased- for example, if I don't think swineshead have a pickup that'll do a certain tone well, I'll say it...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?