hey, ive been building my own guitar lately and realized that i messed up pretty bad. i routed the neck pocket to big. is there anything i can do?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
Use filler unless u have made it too deep, Then you'll have to glue a bit of wood to raise the neck.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Well I'm no expert on wood and stuff, but I recon you would have to start over.

Although you could try to make a piece of the same type of wood that would fit into the neck pocket, glue it together and try routing out a new pocket. I have _no_ idéa if this would be any success though.
I do not know if this will comprimise the combined strength of the wood in the pocket.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
i would use a full filler peice.....take a peice of wood and make it so it fits in the pocket, then route it out so it will hold the neck just right. then glue it into the neck pocket and your set.
you could glue in some excess wood and sand it in and get it too shape. I have one guitar where the neck dosn't fit ino the ocket exactly (it's a very old Ibanez neck in a strat body) and it works just fine.

If it's a bolt on like mine you could bolt it on stick a load of filler in the gap and then sand away the excess
Quote by tongue untied
^ ya- i have a guitar like that as well

but the gap is just the width of a pice of card- like youd write vocabulary words on

I used to stick my pick in there back when it was 1mm, but now i use stubbys their too damn big
Quote by sillybuuger12
you could glue in some excess wood and sand it in and get it too shape. I have one guitar where the neck dosn't fit ino the ocket exactly (it's a very old Ibanez neck in a strat body) and it works just fine.

If it's a bolt on like mine you could bolt it on stick a load of filler in the gap and then sand away the excess

I'll probably do that, would bondo work or what do I use?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
yea its way to big

if i can get a neck cheep i may make it a 7-string
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
its 2 1/2 and should be 2 3/16
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
how did you manage to get 3/16's out?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Sp you got a 3/32 gap on each side if you center it. I think you would be best off to just put in some wood filler because with only 3/32 on each side if you filled and tried to re-route for the neck you may end up taking a big chunk out and being back where you started.
Just my 2 cents here, but i'd start completely over. Somethings just arent worth spending the time fixing.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Sp you got a 3/32 gap on each side if you center it. I think you would be best off to just put in some wood filler because with only 3/32 on each side if you filled and tried to re-route for the neck you may end up taking a big chunk out and being back where you started.

ill probably do that, but if i put the neck in and filled in the spaces with wood filler then the neck would be set in right? i wuold be able to make it a bolt on
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
Just glue in a block of wood, and start over.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I'm with algee. If this was my guitar i'd start again, Glueing a block of wood is easier said than done, it can be done but is the end result going to be worth the extra time.

You can do whatever you want, but it's the sort of thing that would bug me in one of my guitars.