i'm currently building an explorer and wondered if there is a minimal distance between 2 pickups? i'll put emg 81 and 85 in there and as it is now, there would be about 1.5 inch between the two pickups. is it enough or there should be like 2 inches ?
Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand
Well not realy just look at the Steve carpinter model ESP, the p/u's are right next to each other, The only reason you'd want the p/u's far away from each other would be for tonal versility and i suppose u don't want that if ur using EMG's

And good luck with ur 24 fret explorer!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 17, 2006,
If you've got 24 frets usually the neck pup is right next to where the neck ends, and the bridge might be say 1/2 inch away?
haha
not really i wud say 'twas about 1 1/2 inches u can jst about fit a single coil in 1 1/2 inches and if u look at a lot of 24 fret guitars u see a single coil wedged between 2 humbuckers.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
well in fact i have only 1.5 inch of space between the two pickups because i was planning on extending the neck pocket a half-inch more (3.5 instead of 3). i think it might help sustain and stability and put less tension on the screws because of the heavywight explorer. if you think it doesn't matter to extend the neck pocket or it's no use then i could just do a 3 inch pocket and space my pickups by 2 inches.
Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand
well there is sort of an idea that bears repeating here, the farther away they are the more different the sound will be for each pickup, id say make them as far apart as possible but its really personal pref.