k guys my friend has a Fender FM 212R and he wants to start running effects through it because hes got some extra money and he wants to spend it on effect pedals. but i heard that effects dont sound good through ss amps. is this true? or is it just with modeling amps? he plans on buying a distortion pedal and a wah to be specefic
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
they wont sound as good as they would through a tube, especally the wah im guessing. But a distortion pedal wont be to bad, i dont like those amps tho..haha
^ok can you offer any more information on that?
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
ok the issue here is that many commercial / more affordable effects pedals sound harsh on their own and need a tube amp to sweeten them up and make them sound more musical, but that's not to say that a tube amp is necessarily required. I'd suggest to your friend to buy a multi fx / modelling unit as his amp on it's own probably doesn't produce a large tonal variety but is transparent enough to allow a modelling unit to shine. Many modelling units have digital effects built in which are decent on Solid State as many of them try emulate not only the effect being ouputed, but also the warmness of that effect after being processed by a tube amp.
Marty
Bullshìt. Effects will sound just as good or bad on ANY amp. Tubes have nothing do do with it. Jesus I hate reading those ignorant "it won't sound good thru a solid state" statements. Solid state amps are find. Get off your tube high horses.

Tube amps tend to sound better, that's true. And effects played thru a tube amp will not change that, as long as they're quality effects that don't suck tone. They will have the same effect on a solid state amp.

And of course, tone is highly subjective. It's retarded to assume that tube sounds good and ss sounds bac. That's simply not the case.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Suicidal Moose: I personally really dislike multi-effects pedals. I have a ZOOM707 II, and I greatly dislike it, because it si extremely hard to program in the sounds you want. And if he's going to use it for small gigs, or playing witha couple friends even, ploaying some covers, or songs that go from clean, to dirty, to clean, to flanger, to dirty, it's extrememyl difficult to switch from say, the first effect (clean), to the 3rd effect (flanger), you egt a choppy moment inbetween. I got my zoom for $250, and I use it for a tuner lol

Actually, if he got a multi effects unit with about 6 stomp pedals, I suppose it would be alright, I'm coming from the Zoom, which only has two pedals, and a very poor expressions pedal.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by Crunchmeister
Bullshìt. Effects will sound just as good or bad on ANY amp. Tubes have nothing do do with it. Jesus I hate reading those ignorant "it won't sound good thru a solid state" statements. Solid state amps are find. Get off your tube high horses.

Tube amps tend to sound better, that's true. And effects played thru a tube amp will not change that, as long as they're quality effects that don't suck tone. They will have the same effect on a solid state amp.

And of course, tone is highly subjective. It's retarded to assume that tube sounds good and ss sounds bac. That's simply not the case.

EXACTLY!!!!!! i hate these ****ing tube amp nazis! "DONT BUY A SOLID STATE SAVE UP AND GET A SMALL TUBE COMBO!!" tubes are a barely noticable difference in tone. and whoever says that effects dont work as good thorugh an SS amp is a liar.
buy a distortion pedal, because that amps distortion is very weak. get a boss ds-2!
and if he has enough get a wah too.
thats it...im starting an "i hate tube amps" club.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
^ I agree with everything you say except tubes are barely noticeable in tone. I personally think they are. But well said.

And well said Crunchmeister.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
The only people that say ss suck are the people who only played through 15w cheap practice amps. And amps they experienced a decade ago. Modelling technology is here and it is superior to tubes now. The technology just has to start filtering down to smaller amps and lower end ones.

And for your question it will not sound any other type of amp. And what other types of amps are there? Of course the effects will sound as good as they and the amp are.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by pacoasterrider
they wont sound as good as they would through a tube, especally the wah im guessing. But a distortion pedal wont be to bad, i dont like those amps tho..haha

idiot.

Effects sound fine through SS amps.
Quote by danzig-_-
EXACTLY!!!!!! i hate these ****ing tube amp nazis! "DONT BUY A SOLID STATE SAVE UP AND GET A SMALL TUBE COMBO!!" tubes are a barely noticable difference in tone. and whoever says that effects dont work as good thorugh an SS amp is a liar.
buy a distortion pedal, because that amps distortion is very weak. get a boss ds-2!

moron. At first I thought you were going to have a point, but when you said "tubes are barely noticable in tone", I realized you were just a run of the mill dumbass.
I dont think Modeling technology is superior to tubes(at least not yet). But it is more reliable. But how can you deny the warmth of a Fender Deville tube tone? yum.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
Quote by cubedeathk
The only people that say ss suck are the people who only played through 15w cheap practice amps. And amps they experienced a decade ago. Modelling technology is here and it is superior to tubes now. The technology just has to start filtering down to smaller amps and lower end ones.

And for your question it will not sound any other type of amp. And what other types of amps are there? Of course the effects will sound as good as they and the amp are.

Alright retard. Modellers are far better than tube amps. Let's all sell our Diezels, Bogners, ENGLs and Mesas and buy the new Line6 Spider IIIs instead.
Last edited by electrik at Aug 17, 2006,
Quote by electrik
moron. At first I thought you were going to have a point, but when you said "tubes are barely noticable in tone", I realized you were just a run of the mill dumbass.

agreed. and I agree with crunchmeister too.

In fact, my current (random boss/digitech/dunlop) pedals sound WORSE through my engl than through my avt. That's because my engl has tone. You were actually glad the fx were covering up the crappy avt tone, but on the engl it's another story.

Guess it's off to boutique pedals for me...

damn, I'm never going to have any money...

Oh and touche on the post above, electrik.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes sell your mesa to me. Please. haha well said.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
woah thank for the replies guys. keep em coming if you can
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
woah thank for the replies guys. keep em coming if you can

Yes, keep them coming. Preferably keep them nonsensical. I'm bored.
^

me too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Give it 5 years at most and ss will be able to do anything a tube can do.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
^ they said that when I started playing guitar.

I started playing in 2000.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Threads like these make it hard for me to decide, buy a small tube or a decent solid state...
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Quote by cubedeathk
Give it 5 years at most and ss will be able to do anything a tube can do.

Impossible.
Quote by Spydr
Threads like these make it hard for me to decide, buy a small tube or a decent solid state...

Tube is better for blues/classic rock IMO.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ tube is better for metal too, IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cubedeathk

I'm sigging your quote cubedeathk.

Quote by danzig-_-

Heh, enjoy your crappy MG/Spyder ll modelling piece of shlt

EDIT: Dave_Mc, yes, in fact, I can't wait to get my hands on a 5150
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Aug 17, 2006,
Quote by cubedeathk
The only people that say ss suck are the people who only played through 15w cheap practice amps. And amps they experienced a decade ago. Modelling technology is here and it is superior to tubes now.

You are absolutely right, which is exactly why I purchased a brand new Mesa Boogie. It´s because i like my guitars to sound like crap! Why would I want the superior tone of a Marshall MG, let alone a Line 6 Spider?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!