For a long time I was using Dunlop Tortex 1.0 mm's, but about a year ago I found they were a bit flimsy for playing faster passages. I went to the guitar store and since they didn' have 1.5s on that day, I bought some Dunlop Gator 2.0 mm's. I have been using them ever since because the seem to dig into the strings better, but recently I've wondered if they are maybe too thick and so limit playing. Does anyone have opinions on what thicknesses are best for playing faster (edit) and cleaner?
Gear:
Schecter Diamond Series Gryphon
PRS Tremonti SE - silver
Squier Telecaster - black
Line 6 Spyder II 75W
Crybaby 535Q WAH
Last edited by brosbm at Aug 17, 2006,
i do good with my dunlop kozik 1mm
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
It's a combination of things. THe pick needs to have a quality which I call "release time", which is how easily the string comes off of the pick. The faster that happens, the faster you can play.

Usually, picks with good release factor have pointy tips, are slightly bendy, but relatively stiff, and not too thick.
Dunlop Nylon Standard Pick .88 mm
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
I like tortex's especially thick one's - not 2mm though

The best thing i've ever used as a pick is a sim card though. it's light and has good "release time" but i have never found a pick like it.

If you don't believe me try your sim card and then tell me where i can picks like that
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I like the Jazz III's, The point of it is nice. To really play faster you have to work on your technique. Check out the technique thread in the shred forum to improve technique.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
I lile the BRAIN 60's, actually. I dont know why, but I cant stand anything mch stiffer than that.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by sumfears
Dunlop Nylon Standard Pick .88 mm

i second that

it's all persoal prefrence. One of my friends can only play with the like .5 thickness, and i have another friend that all he has is the 1.5, it's whatever you can play best. I cant pick strings as fast with thicker picks and the thiner ones are to flimsy....you'll find your favorite tho and stick to them

use dunlop, those fender picks are crap
Thanks. I went back to the dunlop 1.0s and seem to be adjusting back quickly. I'll see how it goes.
Gear:
Schecter Diamond Series Gryphon
PRS Tremonti SE - silver
Squier Telecaster - black
Line 6 Spyder II 75W
Crybaby 535Q WAH
Its all personal prefrence. I use Medium fenders for Powerchords, thicks for soloing and single note things, extra-thick for bass, and dunlap thin sharp jazz picks for everything else.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
the yellow tortex. I dunno what mm, but all i do is show em the ones i have and they give me more. The best picks ive ever had.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Just keep practicing with your speed, then you can use any pick at that point, as long as its not to thin i think .88 and above are good for faster playing, it is to me cuz i got a .88 Green Tortex and 1.5 Gator Grip and in between. So practice up.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
I found that using Jazz 3's improved my speed and technique greatly, mostly due to the way I hold the pick (for some reason I naturally move my thumb/finger to the rounded end of the pick, so with normal picks this left a large point protruding, but jazz 3's are much smaller)
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
when i started playing up to about 2 years ago, i didnt care about what i used. but as i got better i realized i cant really use any ol' pick. for me, the 1mm ernie ball john petrucci picks i took from a petrucci clinic i like the best. im running short on them, i should find something similar. but next time you are at a store, buy a whole mess of picks varying in size, and see what you like the best.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
If your not sure of the exact size you want try getting a dunlop with and H, or just go and buy a whole bunch of materials and thicknesses. Experiment!! have fun.
it's good if your local music store like mine sells the tortex's individually my friend told me to try out every one so i spent about 3 bucks and got all the thicknesses i could find and then fell in love with the Green .88's, enough flex to do powerchords easier and the perfect thickness for me to speedpick with
any delrex [d'andrea/dunlop/...one more brand, can't remember it] 1mm

i tried fast picking with a regular 1mm and it was wierd...i couldn't go as fast because i'm used to my delrex picks just sorta sliding on and off the strings =D
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Does no one else on here use BRAINs?

Quote by RadioHead22
^^

no

but haha, i thought you were saying none of us had brains, like, saying we were stupid because of some post

haha okay, i'm under control
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
lol, watch yourself there dimebag.

I must be the only one who uses BRAINs, I love them, grip on the wide base, never break, various thicknesses....rawr.

Quote by RadioHead22
^ i dont like them they are to thin and flimsy i just dont like nylon picks and the grip sux
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
i use BRAIN pick s for acoutstic and struming put i use dunlop stubbys and jazz .70-.88 for everything else
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
I have been using Dunlop Tortex .73's for a while now and they are the perfect thickness.
High as tits
Last edited by Suicidal_Brick at Aug 19, 2006,