I don't get it. Whever I play with that overdrive button pushed, I always get unwanted noise, whether its a stupid string ringing out when I lift a finger off it or the amp humming even when I'm not playing anything, strings ringing out when I release a bend or just playing distorted in general

it might also be when my picking hand fingers bump the strings when I'm switching strings or mutingg

it always sounds muddy and I'm getting frustrated.

is it the guitar, (epiphone SG) the amp (behringer gmx110) the amp settings or do I just suck?...
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Last edited by thefoldarsoldar at Aug 17, 2006,
Play slower, put the overdrive a little lower, dont play messy, make sure you are palm muting nice...and even then, with distortion pedals and some overdrives from amps, there will always be unwanted noise. Unless you get really hot pickups.
When playing with gain, you're more susceptable to string feedback - this is why you practice muting adjecent strings when you play Try resting the palm of your picking hand on the strings, near the bridge when you play - This should mute a few strings that you don't want ringing out when picking. Be careful not to mute the string you're playing.

The amp is going to hum a little when the gain is cranked up - even more if have a guitar with Single Coil pickups.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I thought palm muting was only when you wanted to get that crunchy sound...

so I should be palm muting more often???

and about the overdrive lower - I assume you mean the "drive volume" knob on my amp?

and, ANOTHER QUESTION...I don't see a "gain" knob on my amp??
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar

and about the overdrive lower - I assume you mean the "drive volume" knob on my amp?

it's not really full-on palm muting, it's just keeping the stings you're not playing from ringing by accident. but it's good to practice either way.

and what controls are on your amp?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by thefoldarsoldar

crunchy? I'd say it's more of a thick, "chugga" sound Technically yes, what he could be refering to is muting strings with your palm, preventing them from ringing out unintentionally.

Quote by thefoldarsoldar

My apologies - I was refering to your overdrive knob.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Aug 17, 2006,
the drive is the same as the gain
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.