just drop tune your guitar till the strings are basically hanging off the guitar turn the bass and gain all the way up so it sounds like mud and you got it.

Honestly though their tone is horrible try a boss MT-2
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
+1

i think theyre Krank amps.

or something with a distortion knob on at least 11.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
actually they use Mesa power amps and marshall preamps

they just make ti sound like ****
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Tune down to C#, and drop what used to be your low E string to B. Set the treble to around 5 or 6, the mids to 3 and the bass to 8 or so. Use a hi-gain distortion or an agressive fuzz.
I thought they used Rivera Knukle heads?
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
okay sweet but why would you want SlipKnoT toneits quite muddy
EDIT-they have a skipknot tone setting in the ultimate settings thread
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Last edited by lookie here at Aug 17, 2006,
Just as a guess, I'd assume urinating into your amp's speaker would make it sound close.

That and maybe a few sharp blows from a hammer should get it sounding just like them.

Just think - you'll get all the chubby emo girls that claim to be "hardcore" because they listen to Slipknot.

Remember to gargle into the microphone and wear a halloween mask as well.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I hate Slipknot as much as the next guy, and most likely a lot more, but come on, these are so predictable.
they (the actaull members) dont sound like idiots actually. they seem kinda cool ( THE MEMBERS not the music) ive never listened to slipknot before
how to get a ****knot urg a slipknot tone in 5 easy steps:

1. get the crappy sounding amp and turn everything up to wear every chord sounds the same.

2. get a muddy sounding guitar(squier strats would work )

3. learn anywhere from two to four power chords.

4. learn to palm mute.

5. wear gay masks and get a guy that runs around with a bat and hhits things with no purpose at all.

by following these steps you will be well on ur way, to playing like slipknot.
Everytime someone ask a question about the tone/equipment/playing style of a certain band there are always a lot of people that just reply to say how much that bands sucks in stead of anwsering the question. I'm not a big fan of slipknot either but when I read what's been posted my reply above is one of the few that actually tries to anwser the topicstarters question.
I KNOW HOW! Take EVERY lame spam post you just read about getting a Slipknot tone, and recite them. Then transpose the sentences to guitar. Now, you're on your way to sounding HxC.

Anyways, just buy a freakin MT-2, turn the low mid all the way up, and the high mid to 9 o'clock. Turn the treble to about 3 o'clock, and the bass at about 2 o'clock. Crank the gain if you think your hardcore, or if you have a little skill put it about halfway. You'll probably sound better.
Originally posted by TheCurious Mime
Is it true that peter parker shows his butt in the next spiderman movie?
Quote by llanafreak44
they (the actaull members) dont sound like idiots actually. they seem kinda cool ( THE MEMBERS not the music) ive never listened to slipknot before

"I've never listened to Slipknot, but the music isn't cool"

Most people here just bash them to try to look cool, but fail miserably.
EMG's through Rivera Knuckleheads or VHT's doesn't sound like ****, they are decent guitar players, and alot of people like their music. ( I don't hate it, but I don't listen to it.)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker
how to get a ****knot urg a slipknot tone in 5 easy steps:

3. learn anywhere from two to four power chords.

4. learn to palm mute.

google video some videos of one of the guitarists named Mick. He actually plays good. Better than you if i had to guess. Sadly, he just doesnt show it in his music.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Quote by moomoocons
google video some videos of one of the guitarists named Mick. He actually plays good. Better than you if i had to guess. Sadly, he just doesnt show it in his music.

Both Mick and Jim are actually quite talented guitarists, with a lot of skill. THey just write simple music.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I'd just like to say, I have listened to Slipknot before and that my suggestions would actually give a horrible muddy tone if done correctly.

(remember to unplug the amp before pissing on it. Don't need any of you die-hard Slipknot freaks to zap yourselves sterile. That would be horrible. )
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
This is offtopic, but...

Quote by Gibson_Rocker
5. wear gay masks and get a guy that runs around with a bat and hhits things with no purpose at all.

The guitarist from Sonic Youth does that in 'Burning Spear' o.O

EDIT: Slipknot's Google Vid
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Aug 17, 2006,
Slipknot doesnt really have good tone. Their tone is ideal for the kind of music they play (ie blends into the background, very sludgey). They've got great gear but their tone sounds bad (personal preference i guess). Remember, tone is subjective. Dont try to emulate an artists tone when you can have your own sound that sounds pleasing to your ear.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
i believe that they slit the speaker (which i dont recommend)
GEAR

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube

Guitars:
Powerhouse Strat with lace sensors
D-16GT

Effects:
DD20
Classic Crybaby
Rat 2
Phase 90
TU-2
SM57
Quote by Jet11608
i believe that they slit the speaker (which i dont recommend)

Where did you get this information?
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Sigh....

*closed*

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details