Hey guys. Well I have only been playing guitar for a few weeks now. When I first got my guitar and tuned it the tuner worked great.

Now whenever I tune it the tuner gives my crazy readouts. No matter which string I pluck it does the following:

Example G string:
1. It displays the proper string (3G) and the gauge works correctly.
2. Approx. 1-2 seconds later it displays the wrong string (7B) and starts freaking out.
3. It will keep switching back and forth between the correct string and 7B until the string quits ringing and then it resets itself back to zero.

Now I have had this problem for a couple weeks now. At first I thought I was doing something wrong so I asked for advice here. I followed all the advice people gave me to no avail.

Whenever I tune it I turn my pickup selector all the way to the neck pickup and turn both tone controls all the way down. This helps settle the needle down when it is on the right string but nothing helps when it switches to the 7B string. I also read somewhere to pick the string at the 12th fret very gently to minimize vibration at the pickups. This also helps when it is correctly reading the string I am trying to tune but once it hit's the 7th string mode it's all scrambled up.

Frankly I am pretty tired of trying to tune my guitar with an electronic tuner and still guessing at it. I can't hear proper pitches yet so I am kinda forced to use it.

Do I have a bad tuner? Or is it something in my guitar making the tuner act erratically? Or is it something I am doing wrong?

My tuner is a Korg Guitar/Bass tuner GA-30. And yes before anybody asks I have it set to guitar and not bass.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.
The whole guitar bass button doesnt matter. maybe the batteries. Either that or your guitar is ****ed the hell up.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Yeah its either the guitar is messed up, or it needs new batteries. It happened to me, as well. Just play a song you know well, and see if it sounds right.
Sent from my iPad.
mind does the same thing it is nothing to be woryyied about!!!
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
^Dude, learn to spell. Please. It hurts me when you do that.

But yeah, your tuner is probably messed up. I think you should invest in a tuning fork and learn to tune by ear, cos it's way better.
it tunes just fine and it only freaks out the often time. and my spelling is just fine so screw u!!!!
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Quote by kam3
it tunes just fine and it only freaks out the often time. and my spelling is just fine so screw u!!!!

Quote by kam3
mind does the same thing it is nothing to be woryyied about!!!

To the thread starter;

Put a new battery in the tuner. Thats the obvious starting point. The next one would be to change the strings.

When tuning, tune on the attack. That is the note should ring true as you first pick it, not necessarily 1 or 2 seconds later.

When you pick the string the vibration of that string will cause the other strings to vibrate, albeit very very gently. As the note dies the tuner may well be picking up the sound of other strings (or other metal parts) vibrating slightly. Hence tuning on the attack.

The 12th fret thing is about Intonation.

To check the intonation play the open string harmonic at the 12th fret and compare the note by fretting the string at the 12th fret. They should be exactly the same. If not there's lessons about intonation in the Lessons section.
hmmmm i couldnt get either of my tuners to work the other day and after changing all kinds of batteries i finally realized the volume knob on the guitar was turned all the way down and the miniscule reading i got was coming from the tuners mic function.