Hey guys. I have been playing guitar for almost 2 years now but i didnt really begin to take it seriously until a few months ago. Im now trying to becomr a better guitarist and im just trying to figure out what i should do or learn to become one.
practice a lot of scales and such. thats what everybody tells me
u cant spell slaughter without laguhter!

Quote by drew
look, lets not go into who drunk-called who, who threw what at who, or who put what in the freezer
yay cake
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
I'm the nicest mother****er in the world. If you say anything different I'll kill you.
i would recommend, not just practicing scales but also things that challenge you, alternate picking, sweeping and things of that nature. something that helped me was something kirk hammett said along the lines of "when you're learning something new, don't just do an exercise to do an exercise, make something musical out of it" in other words if you're trying to build up finger stregth don't just run up and down scales, make something musical, or if you're trying to build up your sweeps don't just run 1 sweeping pattern over and over, take several and link them together to make something that sounds good. i think this is mainly so you don't get too bored doing the same thing over and over.

and on an edited note: what john suggests is VERY true, get used to being able to improv and not JUST improve up one scale and down the other but actually making something musical out of it.
Find out you're weaknesses, rythem, theory ect. and practice those twice as many times as you're strenghts.
Buy a Metronome (google weird metronome for an dowloadable one) learn music theory, practice with your friends start a guitar club at school, make sure you have good strenght as well as dependece in fingers, and practice everything to a metronome
Quote by Johnljones7443
Learn how to practice and use improvisation as part of your practice routine.

Agreed, particularly on practicing.

Also, set goals. Preferably write them down.

If you're having trouble coming up with goals, think about what you want to sound like, and be able to do. You probably have some ideas based on the type of music you like. If you're still stuck, by posting what you want to sound like, a teacher or the people on this forum would be more likely to assist you in mapping out where you'll go.

Notice that I said "assist"... the more in control you are, the more likely that you will be satisfied with the results, provided you are honest enough with yourself.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Practice a lot and never compare yourself with other guitarist about your progress. Try to listen different type of music and the most important, never practice if you are in a bad mood.
Practice is what ya need, lots of it Don't let it be something you dread, just have fun with it!
Learn to express yourself. I realize that everone does(it's not like your going to express someone else), but the reason I make it a point is that music is an art, not a science, or a competition.

Learn things that you like, whether they be scales, modes, licks, chords,ect.. You will probably be better off if you learn the basic chords and scales and I recomend that you do, a good foundation will pay off in the future but, you should Never do somthing just because you feel obligated to and don't do things just so you can impress people.

You will develop a personal style from the things you learn and the things you discover.

This is a great way to become a good musician, regardless of the Instrument you play.
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
PM RIC4003 or timmEH to join
Quote by Don't Read This
Buy a Metronome (google weird metronome for an dowloadable one) learn music theory, practice with your friends start a guitar club at school, make sure you have good strenght as well as dependece in fingers, and practice everything to a metronome

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

i think it also helps to play with lots of different players, preferably ones who have different styles and see what works well for them and then try it out in your own playing.

but obviously the most important thing is to practise, boring and frustrating as it can be sometimes.
Learn scales and some theory. You should learn some advanced techniques as well.
Sent from my iPad.
i have a electronic tuner..its include the motronome..i dont remember where it is made,but i think china