Page 1 of 3
What is the difference between the two? Becuase I'v heard people say stuff like Norma Jean is Hardcore, and As I Lay Dieing is Metalcore, but its sounds freaking the same. And band like Minor Threat are hardcore but so is a band like Throwdown. So any help is greatly apreciated.
norma jean is metalcore too.
stuff like the band throwdown is hardcore

i actually dont really know the difference either, you could try wikipedia-ing it.
Last edited by michaelcyborg at Aug 17, 2006,
hahaha actually as i lay dying just took the book of metal and took a huge **** on it

DAI we need that FAQ back up
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
Quote by michaelcyborg

stuff like the band throwdown is hardcore

I'm pretty sure Throwdown would be metalcore as well
throwdowns new stuff would be considered metalcore
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Cause if not, we'd peer pressure you till you cried.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

Quote by scoob666
If you can't tell the difference between Minor Threat and As I Lay Dying, then I'd be worried about your ears.

Haha well put. Hardcore is hardcore punk
Hardcore more closely resembles punk. Metalcore has chugging, screaming, [biggest difference] and also, less solos. Not that theres a lot in hardcore, but there is near none is a majority of metalcore.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
www.myspace.com/gorillabiscuits, www.myspace.com/terror, www.myspace.com/madball, www.myspace.com/sickofitall, www.myspace.com/comebackkid, that's hardcore. Not to mention Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front; the pioneers.

Metalcore - Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Heaven Shall Burn, Atreyu, Caliban...

Hardcore is more punk influenced, although you may argue that bands such as Hatebreed have a lot more metal influence.

Metalcore have influences from both metal and hardcore - creating something completely new. Grew up in the scene before German bands Heaven Shall Burn, Caliban made it big, along side some American ones.
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Haha well put. Hardcore is hardcore punk

A lot of morden hardcore can still be branded hardcore, and sound little like punk. You can still hear the influences, but I don't tend to use that term - it can mislead sometimes.

And yes - I'd consider throwndowns new stuff metalcore.
New Throwdown...well...Vendetta.....is metalcore. It makes me sad.

Anyway, metalcore is hardcore with metal influences, mainly the guitars and sometimes the vocals.

Whereas hardcore is really intense punk, it has more punk-rock style riffs and older hardcore bands and some new ones have more punk style yelling vocals as opposed to metalcore's scream/growl/whatever.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Hardcore - Punk on crack. (let's say, imagine blink-182 with double bass pedals, guitars with gain on 9

Metalcore - Hardcore, but with metal influences.

I actually kind like Atreyu, except for the goddamned vocalist, he needs shooting. At least they have some cool drum or guitar licks.
Quote by Invictious
Hardcore - Punk on crack. (let's say, imagine blink-182 with double bass pedals, guitars with gain on 9

Metalcore - Hardcore, but with metal influences.

I actually kind like Atreyu, except for the goddamned vocalist, he needs shooting. At least they have some cool drum or guitar licks.

Blink 182 is not punk, not even pop punk.
there is nothing hardcore about bands like unearth, all that remains, trivium, killswitch engage, as i lay dying...............and please don't say....yeah man the breakdown is so hardcore

pantera had chugging riffs too

so did slayer
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Quote by StuartR
Actually As I Lay Dying stole the book on Metalcore and photocopied it.

LMAO

hardcore is more breakdown orientated, more hardcore punk influence

Metalcore is more riff orientated with a strong metal influence and occasional breakdowns

thats my shot at it......
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by StuartR
There is more to Metalcore than Hardcore with Metal influences.

i don't get what you're saying.
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
I wasn't having a go at your post, I was just saying you can still make Hardcore and be influenced by Metal and it doesn't automatically make it metalcore.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
LMAO

hardcore is more breakdown orientated, more hardcore punk influence

Metalcore is more riff orientated with a strong metal influence and occasional breakdowns

thats my shot at it......

I usually hear more breakdowns in metalcore than hardcore.
^Yeah, real hardcore has none/hardly any breakdowns and even bands some purists call metalcore like Terror don't have the same kind of mosh breakdowns as MC.
Okay, i'm still confused. Two definitions of metalcore on this thread say that it has screaming and more breakdowns. I've also heard that Trivium is hardcore. And they both scream and have a hell of a lot of breakdowns. Also, i don't understand why modern day hardcore is called hardcore if it started out as bands like Black Flag...
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Aug 20, 2006,
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Okay, i'm still confused. Two definitions of metalcore on this thread say that it has screaming and more breakdowns. I've also heard that Trivium is hardcare. And they both scream and have a hell of a lot of breakdowns. Also, i don't understand why modern day hardcore is called hardcore if it started out as bands like Black Flag...

Well, Trivium isn't hardcore.

Modern day hardcore still does sound somewhat like it's older counterparts, so it's called hardcore, bands like Black Flag are hardcore (but also considered hardcore punk) along with bands like D.O.A., Dead Kennedys, and Bad Brains.
Quote by shai_savant
there is nothing hardcore about bands like unearth, all that remains, trivium, killswitch engage, as i lay dying...............and please don't say....yeah man the breakdown is so hardcore

pantera had chugging riffs too

so did slayer

I've always said that you hear more At The Gates in bands like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch, Trivium etc than you hear Black Flag.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
the only people calling trivium and similar bands hardcore are uninformed retards. so dont listen to them.

hardcore and metalcore have very distinct differences. i'm confused on why people get it mixed up so much.
OK.

As I Lay Dying is metal with core vocals, so they are Metal core.
Norma Jean is Chaos with core vocals so they are chaos core.
Hardcore is bands like xLooking Forwardx, Ten 33, Minor Threat.
Throwdown is Tough Guy Hardcore, as is Hatebreed and any other band that copies them.
Anyone who says Trivium is hardcore is a mistaken LOSER!! TRIVIUM IS POSER METAL. the ONLY thing they've EVER done good is a cover of Metallica's Master Of Puppets, and it's only good because it sounds like Metallica!!!
Quote by cross4ctm

Chaos Core??
Thats a new one

My dish is that well, Norma Jean ain't really chaotic at all
Actually, I'm pretty sure they just rip off every single Botch riff
Quote by cross4ctm
OK.

As I Lay Dying is metal with core vocals, so they are Metal core.
Hardcore is bands like xLooking Forwardx, Ten 33, Minor Threat.
Throwdown is Tough Guy Hardcore, as is Hatebreed and any other band that copies them.

Norma jean is far from chaos, although I have a friend who thinks they're "mild grind", so I don't know what you people think chaotic sounds like.

And what's the deal with "core vocals?" You mean screaming?

As I lay dying is metalcore because every part of their music is, not just the vocals, for the most part their songs aren't very complex, and invovle lots of breakdowns. Norma jean is also metalcore for the same reasons.
Quote by Gomorrah

I've always said that you hear more At The Gates in bands like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch, Trivium etc than you hear Black Flag.

I agree with both this and shai_savant's post. What is more annoying is bands like JFAC get lumped in with Hardcore as they sound like 100th rate Death Metal, the only reason I can see for it is the fans of these bands are mostly into other metalcore.

/me awaits typical 'bEcuZ th3y hAv3 Br3AkdoWnZ' reply.
Hardcore: Blood for Blood, Round for Round, Terror, Casey Jones, Death Before Dishonor, Seventh Star, Blacklisted, Donnybrook!, No Innocent Victim, xThick as Bloodx, Liferuiner, xBishopx, xDeathstarx, xTripwirex, Bury Your Dead, Icepick. Look for them on myspace.

Metalcore: Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying, JFAC, BTBAM, etc.

BIIIIIIIIIIG difference. I enjoy both genres very much. I personally think that Hardcore should have it's OWN forum (only hardcore) because it is so much different from metalcore and someone coming in the Hardcore Forum too look for Hardcore shouldn't have to search for it.

Quote by Doodeyfoodle
I find it amusing that some believe 'talent' is a quantifiable measurement. Its the arts people, not mathematics. Open your minds.
Quote by StuartR
I agree with both this and shai_savant's post. What is more annoying is bands like JFAC get lumped in with Hardcore as they sound like 100th rate Death Metal, the only reason I can see for it is the fans of these bands are mostly into other metalcore.

/me awaits typical 'bEcuZ th3y hAv3 Br3AkdoWnZ' reply.

Dude, JFAC is sooo Br00tal

JFAC is not hardcore. This really bothers me, I downloaded them after reading "likeomg, JFAC is so awesome! rabble rabble, rabble."

They're death metal.

Not hardcore.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
JFAC is not hardcore. This really bothers me, I downloaded them after reading "likeomg, JFAC is so awesome! rabble rabble, rabble."

They're death metal.

Not hardcore.

They're not death metal, altohugh they are close, they're a sad excuse of it, "deathcore".
I can't really understand why Trivium would be considered hardcore. I always thought metalcore bands showed more talent on their instruments and that was the main difference, but I could just be misinformed. Back to Trivium, I always thought they had a lot more talent than a lot of other...er...'core' bands, but still had that hardcore vibe, so I figured that'd make them metalcore, but now I'm seeing totally different here...

Anyone care to explain this to me?
Page 1 of 3