Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on the best setings to achieve John Frusciante's awsome sound. I own a stratocater and a marshall MG50DFX, i also have the following pedals: DigiTech Hot rod rock distortion
Behringer Compressor/Sustainer
Danelectro Phaser
Boss PW-10 V-Wah

Can anyone give me a few suggestions?? thanks
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

Last edited by rustymoore91 at Aug 17, 2006,
With a MG30DFX you are in no way going to get anything like close!

I don't know what John uses but I am sure its not a MG series Marshall.
Last edited by Eladamri at Aug 17, 2006,
I believe this should go in The ONLY Settings Thread.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Eladamri
With a MG30DFX you are in way going to get anything like close!

what does that even mean?
ferret.
With your gear is should be fairly easy. If your Strat has single coils, use the neck pickup w/ maybe some light distortion from the amp to play rhythm, and use your bridge pickup, the Hot Rod, and Compressor to boost your signal to play leads. Maybe with a little wah if you'd like. I know John uses a phaser in a few of RHCP songs, like the solo in Parallel Universe. To find a good setting, just experiment a little. The guy that posted before me was right, John has some really sick vintage gear, but you can work with what you have.
Originally posted by TheCurious Mime
Is it true that peter parker shows his butt in the next spiderman movie?
Quote by the_white_bunny
uhh he uses alot of reverb like his at like 7 ish. plus he used fender amps

he uses marshalls buddy, im pretty sure he uses some old marshall head called the marshall major or somethin
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
i dont know how you would get it like that with what you have but i read in a guitar world like a million years ago (not really but a while back) on the Frusciante issue he has one of his single coils wired with reverse polarity... i think it was the bridge pick up
He also uses a JTM45...but I only know that because I have one...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

set your amp on fire...then slam your strat into it ...

closest an MG will ever sound to frusciante
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
You can probably get his tone with a good fender or marshall tube amp, if it's geared towards that voicing. That JTM45 is a bassman clone. With the right effects and feel you can cope his tone pretty well.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

I know this doesn't help you explain on getting his sound, but I was watching TV one day and saw him do a cover of the Bee Gees (I think) "How Deep Is Your Love". It was pretty cool, but I was surprised at how high he could get his voice. o_o.
http://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/25503.shtml

Look at tht that tells you what equipment he has, you work it out from there.
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
what is 'having your carrot skinned'? surely it must be painful, having your penis flayed?

'I love you so much it makes me sick'

Wanna listen to some chilled out, slightly depressing acoustic music?? --------> www.myspace.com/theriftplasticband
Quote by the_white_bunny
yea back in the day he used fender dick head.
he may now use marshall but w/e

well the threadstarters probably thinking of frusciantes sound from stadium arcadium

and to the perth petition I was gonna sign but it wont let me do it without my phone number
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?