I tried searching for this but couldn't really find anything. So don't freak if it's been done.

I'm just a little curious how some of you go about changing your strings. Stuff like how often, how do you stretch them, do you you do anything different or unorthodox, things like that.

Here's what I do:

I change my strings whenever I feel they need to be changed. Usually every month to month and a half. I do it a little more often in the summer due to higher humidity. About every month or sooner depending on how dirty they get.

I only remove one string at a time unless I'm planning on cleaning the freatboard.

I usually wrap the ball ends about "1.5 up with needle thread (kinda like SRV but a little different I think... I'm not really sure how he did it exactly) to prevent breakage. I do this on my SG aswell to prevent breakage at the stop tail not the TOM part.

As for stretching I usually do 2 reps of 20 pulls (pulling up... I don't usually move them side to side although I've seen people do that) on each string, let it sit for a while then do the same thing again. Re-tuning in between reps. If I hear that it needs more stretching (still going out of tune when doing bends and such) then I do one more set of 20-30 pulls.

I then tune up, clean the entire guitar, slap on some fast fret, then check the intonation and fix any problems with that.

How about you.

EDIT: oh yeah I also check for fret buzzing or any other types of buzzing.
Hai UG!
Last edited by L_Z_Nut at Aug 17, 2006,
I cut the old strings off, put the new ones on, snap them a few times, tune and let the guitar sit for 20 mins and tune again. I scrape the gunk off the frets every 6-7 months. I change strings once a month.

The best thing i've ever tried to clean the body is a shammy used for cars. You can get them like a sponge and it cleans great. No cleaner needed, it doesn't scratch or leave any streaks.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Change strings every two weeks or so.

Take old strings off.
Stick something under the bridge at *about* zero point.
Stick new ones on.
Tune up slightly.
Stretch.
Repeat that about 10 times.
Tune up to pitch.
Stretch.
Tune up until it stays after stretching.
Set bridge.
Stretch.
Set bridge again.
Lockdown.
Play.
Un-lock.
Stretch.
Tune up.
Set bridge again.
Lockdown.
Fine tune.
Step 1: Take off old strings
Step 2: Put on new strings
Step 3: Tune new strings
Step 4: Throw old strings in garbage.
Step 5: Play new strings
Step 6: Enjoy
OMG that's so clever and funny

Man, you don't have to be a sarcastic jerk about it. Everyones got an attitude problem on forums these day. I was just wondering what other people do when they change their strings. Like I said before "anything unorthodox" something that some people do that others might want to try. OR perhaps stretching techniques and such to get your strings stretched properly and faster. Maybe things to help prolong the life of your strings or something. Plus it might help out some of the begginers out there.
Hai UG!
nothing unusual i use the guide off the elixir website and just usually put graphite in the nut (unless its a locking nut) to help smoothness of the strings and yeh thats about it
Quote by Amped
Step 1: Take off old strings
Step 2: Put on new strings
Step 3: Tune new strings
Step 4: Throw old strings in garbage.
Step 5: Play new strings
Step 6: Enjoy

Good old simple way. Johnljones7443 must take a few days to change 1 string on his guitar.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Change strings every two weeks or so.

Take old strings off.
Stick something under the bridge at *about* zero point.
Stick new ones on.
Tune up slightly.
Stretch.
Repeat that about 10 times.
Tune up to pitch.
Stretch.
Tune up until it stays after stretching.
Set bridge.
Stretch.
Set bridge again.
Lockdown.
Play.
Un-lock.
Stretch.
Tune up.
Set bridge again.
Lockdown.
Fine tune.

Hmmm, HAHAHAHAA, poor floyd rose owner. Must be quite a bitch to restring.
Quote by Invictious

hey i use a Floyd Rose Bridge as well and its quite **** but serious doing all that wont take long at all and its challenging at the same time passes time easier
Quote by L_Z_Nut
OMG that's so clever and funny

Man, you don't have to be a sarcastic jerk about it. Everyones got an attitude problem on forums these day. I was just wondering what other people do when they change their strings. Like I said before "anything unorthodox" something that some people do that others might want to try. OR perhaps stretching techniques and such to get your strings stretched properly and faster. Maybe things to help prolong the life of your strings or something. Plus it might help out some of the begginers out there.

Sorry.

Quote by Invictious

Nope - it's a long process to stretch them properly, but it's easy.
Hey LZ I do everything you do but I wrap my pegs differently. I usually press down on several frets while pulling up on each string. It stretches em out really quick. And I LOVE Fast Fret.
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html

that's usually what i do.
on my strats ill level the bridge.
ill also tighten the tuner nuts and check intonation.

stretching strings is fine. but usually after a day they'll stay in tune either way.

as for oiling the board, i never over do it, i like a drier feel.
but if it really needs it, ill put some oil on between string changes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i realy dont like changing strings, so i usualy just keep them for liek 4 months and clean them alot, then i change them when i really need to, like wen their rusty. i actualy didnt change the strings on my rgt42 since i got it like almost a year ago cause of the floyd rose cause im lazy hahah
i know its hard but a string change will make it sound like a whole new guitar^.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by L_Z_Nut
^ Sorry, that was directed at amped not you.

What was wrong with Amped's answer? Anything besides that is how you change strings? That's how I do it.
High as tits
The whole thing was stank with jerky sarcasm. But hey, that's just how I felt about it.
Hai UG!
Quote by jj1565
i know its hard but a string change will make it sound like a whole new guitar^.

of course unless your using elixirs then you can wait a while til your next string change.
elixers or not, 4 months is too long if its ur only guitar IMO.

ive used them and personally, i like them on my acoustics but electrics, a little meh.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

lol i got ones currently on for 11 months of course i usually put it back in the case whenever i dont use it. and their electrics as well
Phil #1 scrimper/saver. u work those strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

lol surprisingly there just starting to lose their coating. oh well good times. im currently starting to like SIT Powerwound strings dont know why but they feel quite nice and are quite easy to bend
Dont know if anyone of you saw the video lesson on changing strings, but thats the way I do it and I hardly need to stretch my strings any, it's really a much faster way of doing it!

Edit: Alembic are great strings if you want less tension in standard tuning, they feel really soft!

Originally posted by kornrules09
well if it comes with pick, I say get it!
Last edited by thomas_wh at Aug 22, 2006,