2 11%
TRAYNOR YCV50BLUE
4 22%
TRAYNOR YCV80
1 6%
PEAVEY 6505
3 17%
Voters: 18.
I have another thread going about choosing my new amp and guitar, but I thought I would simplify with more info here. For those who havnt seen it a quick summarry.

BUDGET is 4000 australian dollars aprox
TYPE OF AMP tube
STYLE from classic rock to heavy rock to blues to metal. All genres. mostly rock though.

AMP CHOICES
CARVIN VL212 $2300rrp
BELAIRE $1100

MARSHALL DSL401 $1499
TSL602 $1999

TRAYNOR YCV50BLUE $2000rrp
YCV80 $2200rrp

PEAVEY 6505 +cab $3200 2x12 version not yet released in oz

GUITAR CHOICES

FENDER AMERICAN SERIES STRAT $1900
GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO $3000rrp
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STUDIO $900rrp
LES PAUL CUSTOM $1300rrp
SCHECTER C1 EXOTIC $1870
SCHECTER C1 SPECIAL $1400

thats it so far. Just after as many thoughts and suggestion from you guys on this list, or if you can add anything feel free. Just wan't as much feed back as possible before i make the trip to start testing. have included a poll aswell for the amp as i believe this is more important. Also if your going to advise me against anything give me a good explanation, not that it **** or that you don't like it.
The DSL seemed kind of weak when I tried it the other day. It sounded kind of.. thin, I guess, just not great. Maybe a Carvin, I don't know.
Last edited by mattyyy at Aug 17, 2006,
I think that I would probably go for the Traynor and then the American Fender or a Gibson Studio. Guitar depends on which type of sound you want. You won't be doing metal that well with a strat.

I think that if you have that amount of money, I wouldn't go for the Epi Studio. It is one of the lower Epi's and not that great. Schecters are also very nice and are a more modern guitar. Figure out how many frets you want, the type of pickups and type of wood. Then narrow those choices down. If you are playing metal go for humbuckers. HB's can still handle blues but not as well. You could also have them tapped for a single coil sound.

Avoid the 6505 if you are playing any non metal/hardcore. The cleans are lackluster and it can't handle blues very well.
It wouldn't be a lot of metal. One in every 10-15 songs maybe. as for the wood, im not sure. It needs to be suitable for most styles. In particuluar the bands I play the most are, Jet, ACDC< the living end, guns n roses, wolfmother, sabbath, zepplin, foo fighters, def leopard, offspring, rhcp, and the darkness. So im going mainly fo those sounds. I deffinatley want humbuckers, so if i got a strat it would be h/s/s, but as to what humbuckers im not sure.
Last edited by guitariswannabe at Aug 17, 2006,
at the moment im leaning towards the gibson, but with the orice it's kinda of putting a limit on the amp. I would rather the better amp, as everyone keeps telling me it's 90-95% off the sound. Thats why i want to get feedback on the amp chioces so i can decide on guitar. But hey if i have to go over my budget by $500 then stiff biscuits.
check out the mesa f-50 (if you have a dealer close) its got great cleans and is perfect for all kinds of rock and metal (around $1000 US)
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
Dude, they don't sell Carvins in Australia...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ um yes they do mate. I wouldn't have listed it if they didn't. Also checked the mesa f-50 out. Looks alright but they jack the prices here. Retails at about 3000aud. I think that might be out of the question, thanks for the option though.
Last edited by guitariswannabe at Aug 18, 2006,
Also what do the differnet types of tubes do. As in are some better for metal and others rock, or does it depend of the amount of tubes in the amp. Just trying to get my head around it.
Quote by guitariswannabe
Also what do the differnet types of tubes do. As in are some better for metal and others rock, or does it depend of the amount of tubes in the amp. Just trying to get my head around it.

The more power, the more power tubes. Certain tubes break up easier than others. Every tube type has different tones. When replacing them, talk to eurotubes.com or whatever and they will help you figure out what you want.
Gibson Studio $2175 + Marshall TSL602 $1789

or

ESP Eclipse II $2603 + Marshall DSL401 $1299

both here
Is the custom made by Gibson or Epiphone? If Gibson, that's the one you want , if Epiphone, go with the Gibson studio. Either of the Marshalls would be good.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by treagar
Gibson Studio $2175 + Marshall TSL602 $1789

or

ESP Eclipse II $2603 + Marshall DSL401 $1299

both here

id swap the prices. who the **** pays 2.5 k for a fancier version of something thats worth maybe ~1k.