does the power in a valve tronix match the pwer of a regular tube amp, a 2.5=1 watt scale
Last edited by chryee090130 at Aug 17, 2006,
Nope.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
The Vox Valvetronix amps ARE NOT TUBE. They have one tube in the poweramp, which is basically useless. It's a gimmick, plain and simple.

They're solid state with a single tube that might as well be superglued to the side. Yes, a lot of people consider them to be great and all, but to be honest, they just sound like average solid states to me.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Actually Xenn, while they are hybrids (and yes that does ****), they are still amazing sounding amps. Id suggest it for anything except hardcore metal.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
what? SO WAIT some one ask me this... a 50 watt tube amp is LOUDER then a 50 watt SS amp?
yep, a 50 watt tube will probly be as loud or louder than a 100 watt ss
holy ****! im ****in gettin that peavey valveking then no questions i was worried it wouldnt be loud enough but my 65watt crate is
Quote by HeartInACage
Actually Xenn, while they are hybrids (and yes that does ****), they are still amazing sounding amps. Id suggest it for anything except hardcore metal.

I tried one and wasn't impressed in the least. It just didn't live up to it's reputation as some amazing amp. Like I said, to me it just sounded like another solid state.

As for the Valveking, I can't really comment on it as i haven't tried one. They're supposed to be good as a first tube amp though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
No, the Peavey Valve king is very mediocre, and for the same price you can get the Fender BLues Junior. Id suggest that if your going tube.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
^Much better option.

A little off topic, but HeartInACage, how do you like your Dunlop Crybaby 535Q wah? I've been thinking of getting one...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Yes, its really nice, although the Clyde Vox I think may have a bit better tone, the 535Q has ALOT more options
i ate a big red candle

na hey i have a 100watt vox valvetronix there pretty hated around here but im 100% sure thers a big difference between it and a ss. u can hear the roar from it compared to a ss. its 2 tubes i think not one but its an amp for life if u diisagree then sell it on.
Quote by Brad Blanche

i have a 100watt vox valvetronix there pretty hated around here

Since when?
Quote by cho1
what? SO WAIT some one ask me this... a 50 watt tube amp is LOUDER then a 50 watt SS amp?

The tube amp will be perceived as louder by the human ear because of the type of harmonics tubes produce (that are not produced by silicon diode transistors). The actual difference depends on the class of amp and type of tube. You'll see the least amount of difference with a Class A running EL84s, whereas you see the largest difference in volume running a tube amp stocked with 6L6s.

And yes, the Valvetronix amp is a hybrid, but not in the traditional sense (tube preamp/SS power amp). Vox put a preamp tube, which generates pretty much no power, into the power amp section, supposedly to help with the quality of low-volume distortion. However, the pre-amp section and power amp sections are otherwise completely solid state. I don't think it makes all that much of a difference. If nothing else, the reason that Valvetronix amps sound more "organic" than other modelers is because the Valvetronix amps are "analog" modelers rather than the Cube or Flextone/Spider/Vetta, which are digital.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Xenn99
I tried one and wasn't impressed in the least. It just didn't live up to it's reputation as some amazing amp. Like I said, to me it just sounded like another solid state.

As for the Valveking, I can't really comment on it as i haven't tried one. They're supposed to be good as a first tube amp though.

You weren't impressed with one but you were with a MG (Assuming you wouldn't buy an amp you didn't like)? hahahahaha
Quote by Xenn99
The Vox Valvetronix amps ARE NOT TUBE. They have one tube in the poweramp, which is basically useless. It's a gimmick, plain and simple.

They're solid state with a single tube that might as well be superglued to the side. Yes, a lot of people consider them to be great and all, but to be honest, they just sound like average solid states to me.

Actually, if that one tube is old, replacing it might make a difference (soundwise of course)
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by thebrewfan
You weren't impressed with one but you were with a MG (Assuming you wouldn't buy an amp you didn't like)? hahahahaha

I was thinking that too... It doesn't make any sense
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell