Page 1 of 2
How often will i seriouslly ever use my tremelo? I mean my rg450 is a nice guitar. But more and more I am regretting not getting a hardtail. I have not used my tremelo once, yes I am a noob, but I just dont know any songs which are a must have tremelo song. And the ones that do use it seem to be once or twice.

I want a guitar that is easy to tune, stays in tune and I can change string gauge easily without hassle.
Then a hardtail is for you. You can unnooberize yourself and learn some whammy tricks. You can get good fast.
its not a neccesity its just another tool that you can sue. Some guitarist use them some dont. If you use one it doesnt make you better than the other guy it just means u have another trick up your sleeve. I use mine on occasion it is a pain in that ass tuning wise. You can just have it set if u dont like it though .
Hmm, you again...assuming that RG450 is your 1st guitar...

Anyways, your 1st guitar should've been a fixed or have a vintage trem, a tremolo for a 1st is pretty rough for a beginner. It all depends on which music you like, if you like progressive rock, then most probably you'd need a tremolo but if you're more into pop rock, emos and whatnot, then you're best suited for a fixed bridged guitar.

One more thing i need to tell you, is that, you're a noob? no offence, and new to guitar world? Mostly, ppl will tend to get bored, or just simply move on to other stuff once they have accomplished with their older bands. For instance, me, i used to love metallica very much but now i rarely listen to it, now im leaning more towards progressive rock and shredding.

Its just that, if you're thinking of selling the RG and getting yourself a fixed bridge, really really think thru it, coz you dont want to be buying another $500+ guitar with a floyd rose system in it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
a tremolo isnt that necessary. a lot of guitarists dont use one and still create amazing solos. think of it as a sort of cologne. it just adds a little bit of flavor to you, but if you overdo it, it smells like ****.

having a tremolo means having to put up with spending a hell of a lot of time tuning your strings. if you have a locking system, your strings shouldnt go out of tune, but im taking it you dont.

if you dont feel like putting up with the hassle, dont use one. especially one without a locking system. its really not that necessary. i just use one because i like having it there.
Quote by xxieatbabiesxxx
a tremolo isnt that necessary. a lot of guitarists dont use one and still create amazing solos. think of it as a sort of cologne. it just adds a little bit of flavor to you, but if you overdo it, it smells like ****.

^+1. Perfect analogy
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
its an lo-trs, seems to go out of tune every day, just slightly.

im not a total noob, use to play, for a few years, but noob to locking trems. last guitar was a strat, and that trem is very easy to work with.

im just scared of the whole changing string guage thing, truss and intonation and all that.
You shouldnt be scared, my first time was quite time consuming and numerous trial and errors. Floyd roses wont promise a return of %100 to perfect tuning. Even the most reliable floyd roses out there wont have 100% return back to pitch. Mostly they'd go about 90-95% back, to your ears, it'll just sound the same but that couldnt fool electric tuners.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
madpickin u keep me motivated to keep it lol. every time.

so even if i want to drop the .10 to .09 I shouldnt be scared of setting it up myself? i guess im scared cause i dont have tools for intonation. truss rod seems easy enough.
I can't stop using the trem on my new Ibanez. Every guitar should have one.

^ And yes, it goes back %100 every time. Don't know where you got that stastistic, but I'm glad you finally changed your avatar.

^^ If you're scared of simple maintenence, please grow some balls. It's all pretty straight forward.
hahaha some ppl

cool, will just do it tonight. wtf, worst case its a luthier repare job, best case i know how to setup a floating bridge and have myself a darn sweet guitar.
Quote by mikeman
I can't stop using the trem on my new Ibanez. Every guitar should have one.

^ And yes, it goes back %100 every time. Don't know where you got that stastistic, but I'm glad you finally changed your avatar.

^^ If you're scared of simple maintenence, please grow some balls. It's all pretty straight forward.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning_stability.htm
read that, in the last paragraph and i was off by some cents too actually its 98-99%. But 95% is fairly ok, its not noticable to your ears but to your tuners.

And to TS, yes i wANT you To Save iT !! this kind of Ibanez wont make it into production again, sentimental value and classic.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 17, 2006,
everyone seems to bag the lo-trs on the rg450 though. not as much the lo-trs 2 i guess. perhaps its more on of those things where the edge pro and lo pro are clearly better so everything else must suck so everyone gets on the bandwagon from what they have read on the net, or heard from a friend of a friend.

also, any idea on how to get rid of a bit of oxidation on the pickups and some screws?
http://projectguitar.com/tut/bridgeclean.htm
Dip in WD-40 and use #0000 steel wool. Clean it up afterwards. Toothbrush is always good and handy to remove dirt or dusts. So you're keepin it?

About the trem, i also dont agree with ppl bashing those things, hell, i even got the Ibanez ILT1 bridge which is slightly better then the Lo-TRS II, i maintain it and it stays in tune very very well. Thats why on most thread, when ppl are trying to buy the low end RGs, i dont straight bash, i just explain what comes into my mind....
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
yes, yes im keeping it, and dam it im puttin 09's on it, and its going to play blues just fine and metal and rock, and its gonna rock, so thanks, i just needed a slap.
glad im there to slap ya then...along with others...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Well, if you ever decide to change your mind about just not liking the bridge like i did, just go to your guitar shop and tell them you want your tremelo blocked off. They did it for mine for about $25 including installation and all that. It works now like it would like a hardtail bridge and is easy to tune and retune from standard to drop d or whatever. Much easier especially if you don't really use it much anyways, plus stays in tune a helluva lot better. Hope you look into that especailly since you siad your a noob guitarist.
Hey, I am by NO means an expert of any kind, but I figure the guitar you have now should do fine as it is. If you dislike your tremolo, theres most likely a set of screws on the back of your guitar that you can tighten that will stiffen the tremolo system and prevent it from working. This, I believe, is a worthwhile substitution to a hardtail bridge, and works just as effectively. In the case that you get a taste for whammy bars, you can just loosen the tension on the tremolo a little and bring it back to normal working condition. This will save you hundreds of dollars on a NEW guitar, and I would try this before deciding on your OLD guitar's fate.

Just a word of advice I guess, hope it was useful.

Matt
I absolutly need the tremolo, I cant stand playing my strat, since the tremolo on that thing is a peice of ****. Iv been playing for 3 years now, and 2 years into playing, I started shredding, and Iv been doing that for like a year now, and I love to add the whammy bar inbetween fills and solo's and everything.
It can add some cool sounds and do some neat effects, but your guitar will go out of tune often if you use it alot and strings WILL break.
im keeping the rg450. mind is made up.

how do i change the pickup selector, i suspect its faulty, do i need to take the pickups out i presume.
nope, there's no need to take the pickup out, unless you wanna change them of course. You just get a similar 5-way switch and just resolder the old wires to it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
im a little onfused cause i only have the tremelo cover on the rg450, ie no other openings.
im not near the guitar now, but thinking about it, it will be under the pickguard wont it?
I think you meant pickguard, yeah, take it out, not the pickups.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
guitar is in pieces hahaha. didnt realise pickups and switch were actually attached to the pickguard.

no going back now.
Ok well here's the thing. The lo-trs isn't the most stable of trems, so that's why it goes out of tune so often. I do believe it's a direct swap for amn Original Floyd Rose, though i'm not 100% sure.
so far so good. i dont know what all the fuss is, its not rocket science.

i havnt restrung yet though hahahaha, but looks simple enough.

i have a sunken bridge as i had to take strings all off to check out pickguard. should i wedge it to keep it up while i restring?

You can wedge something like so, or you could wedge something at the side of the trem block. I'd prefer to wedge something on the side of the trem block inside the cavity.

Like this

Just remember to always keep your bridge close to parallel, not too sunken or too whacked up.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
madpickin03

which jem is that pic from? thats a lot of lift on it.

yeah i was gonna just wedge inside the cavity like ur other pic.

best not try it now, just took the missus out to a flash place for a bit of grub, just had a number of hennesy xo's, so prob not best state to be workin on the axe.

thanks for ur help by the way !
so far so good. anyone ever strung a few upside down only to realise after? hahaha, lucky i hadnt snipped.

so its stitting flat, i reckon they must have been .09 before. action seems high at 5-24. but at 1-4 there seems to be very little gap. more bow nearer the head.

how many times do i have to tune this thing, lol, 4 times so far.
to put it simple to answer your thread title

it depends on the music to play i think most of the time if you need a tremelo its opinion
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
It depends, for a while i had no guitars with floating trems then i started to watch players using them for very tasteful vibrato and wanted trem equipped guitars again.

Also the reason you rg450 is causing you problems is the lo-trs probably but it is a direct swap for an original floyd so yeah.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
ScottishAngus how does the neck on ur schter elite compare to the rg's u have?
I like guitars both ways. I like guitar w/ trems becuase you call always use them for sweet tricks (my personal favorite is for feedback warping), but I also like hardtails for their tuning stability and sweet sustain.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by fiztech
ScottishAngus how does the neck on ur schter elite compare to the rg's u have?

The schecters neck is a lot thicker than the average ibanez and is also painted but its very comfortable and the fret access is just as good.
I suggest if you are looking into schecters or similar guitars like ibanez szs, etc that you try them first because they really are different, i actually like having both thin and thick necks.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
ok everything went well accept.

the bridge is leaning to one side by about 3mm. ie the low strings obviouslly are pulling it more so its lifted on that side. how do i even them out?
Page 1 of 2