Ok if you play just the ffith string 7th fret and 6string 5 fret I know it is an A5. However I do not know why this is considered an A minor. I know that the AMajor Barre Chord on string 6 root is
--5--
--5--
--6--
--7--
--7--
--5--

So is it like if you just play the 6th and 5th string from this major Barre chord(A5) you then just name it A minor or what?
THAT chord is A minor, if you were to just play the 6th and 5th strings you would have the A5 power chord

EDIT: All power chords by themselves are minor
hue
Quote by sock_demon
THAT chord is A minor, if you were to just play the 6th and 5th strings you would have the A5 power chord

EDIT: All power chords by themselves are minor

Umm im not really sure but i think that power chords are neither major or minor..
Last edited by cubs at Aug 17, 2006,
power chords are neither major or minor becuz power chords do not contain a major or minor triad. they only have a root and a fifth. power chords are power chords becuase they do not contain that major or minor 3rd.
rawwwwwwwwwwww
Quote by Mr. Raw
power chords are neither major or minor becuz power chords do not contain a major or minor triad. they only have a root and a fifth. power chords are power chords becuase they do not contain that major or minor 3rd.

Yeah, don't listen to me, i forgot the obvious part
hue
I think technically power chords are not chords. The true defenition of a chord syas somethign about it having 3 notes. Since a powerchord is only a root and fifth, with an extra root on top maybe, it is not a chord so it isn't major or minor.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
ok so what if you play 3rd fret 6th string, 5th fret 5th string, and 5th fret 4th string. I kno that if you were to just play the 6th and 5th string it would be a G5 power chord right? So now being taht you are playing three strings I do not undertand why it is considered a G Major chord...
yeah they arent really chords, they are actually intervals which is liek a two-note chord.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
Its not a G major chord because your are playing the notes G,6th string, D,5th string, and G,4th string, that is only two different notes and a G major chord is made up G B and D so its not a major chord.
SPAM

then what is this called? I know its a G...and its part of the G Barre Chord
----
----
----
-5--
-5--
-3--
No a G MAJOR barre Chord is:

-3- G
-3- D
-4- B
-5- G
-5- D
-3- G

A G Minor Chord is:

-3- G
-3- D
-3- Bb
-5- G
-5- D
-3- G

A G powerchrod is only teh notes G and D and it is lacking the B or Bb that would make it a major or minor chord and so it is not a major or minor chord it will only give the characticeristics that the intervals at which you move the power chord. Power chords aren't a great chord ot show major or minor characteristics though. I hope that helps.
SPAM

Last edited by FFFDFEFRFKFFF at Aug 18, 2006,
ok FFFD I understand those diagrams. I am just confused because i have this booklet here and it has this listed as a G BArre Chord
-3-
-3-
-4-
-5-
-5-
-3-
~~~~~~~~
Now there is something else that says this is a G
---
---
---
-5--
-5--
-3--

~~~~~~
Then there is this labeled as a G

-
-
-
-
~~~
Ok I see that power chords in which the last diagram i showed are not really major or minor. My confusion is the 2nd example ...i dont know how it gets its proper name.
Last edited by Unreal T at Aug 18, 2006,