i've been thinking about building a pedal (probably a booster or something easy), and using only scrap parts to build it (except for the board). i've taken apart a few old electronic things (remotes, calculators, etc.), i see that they contain many resistors, diodes, etc. so, my problem is, how do i determine what types of diodes/ resistors they are. is there some sort of color chart somewhere that will help me? please help.
also, what is the safest way to remove these things from their board, i don't want to damage them.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
i have the exact same questions so i'll post so ppl think there are more responses and will check it out
cool thanks
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
on the resistor there is a color code and on the caps its usually written on it
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
what all is it besides resistors, diodes, jacks, and pots do i need for a pedal build? (i need to know so i can look up a picture of them and see what they look like)
and again, what is the safest way to remove them from a circuit board
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
possibly you may need transistors and IC Chips/OP Amps. Theres other things, but not everything is required for all pedals.

To remove, heat sink the parts, and pull out slowely and evenly.
i'll warn you that i got in an awful mess trying to use scrap parts form an old keyboard amp. The connections on many of the componants were too short to use easily, and it took ages. it doesn't save you much money either, cos the componants are really cheap to buy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
how exactly do you wire a circuit board? (using perfboard)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Solder the components in to the holes, and use wires/solder on the back to join the components where needed.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by AndyPandy
i'll warn you that i got in an awful mess trying to use scrap parts form an old keyboard amp. The connections on many of the componants were too short to use easily, and it took ages. it doesn't save you much money either, cos the componants are really cheap to buy.

Most of the cost of most simple pedals comes from the enclosure, pots, jacks, board, and switch, not the little componments. It would probably be more work than it is worth to use old parts.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
The expensive part is the box, pots, and the switch, which you're probably gonna have to buy anyways. The resistors and transistors and stuff will only cost like 1.50 for a simple pedal.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
is perfboard the best board to use for pedals?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
^--ehh theres a lot of ways. PCB is easiest, but you have to etch it. Veroboard is pretty easy too, just make sure you use a vero layout, or lay the parts out in the right way (doesnt follow a PCB or perfboard layout). Perfboard should be fine for a simple pedal though.