Ok, so it's a pretty even match up here, except the Traynor is $150 more. So what would give me a better tone/quality/happiness:

Trayor YCV50 Blue

or

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I'm going to buy a distortion pedal if I choose to get the fender.

I play a little bit of everything, blues to metal. Lately I've been getting into Gary Moore, which one will give me more of his tone (hint: massive sustain).

I have an Ibanez RG1570.

Last edited by mikeman at Aug 18, 2006,
well..it seems like ur gonna need a gainy amp..traynor would be my choice....
fender doesnt have enough gain, even with a descent overdrive pedal.

Ive owned the traynor and gigged with it a few times..it did the job...but i just didnt like it for sum reason...

i own the fender deville and my bro owns a fender deluxe..they are both pretty mucht the same, just that my amp is louder...but..yea..they both are kinda hard to drive cuz it lacks gain..but then again...fender doesnt have a reputation for building hardcore metal amps..lol..

but yea... i vote traynor
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
The fender is a fender tube amp, the clean channel is great, it takes pedals well, amp distortion isn't suited for anything more then blues grit. The traynor is voiced more like a Marshall, more rock distortion, more gain on your fingertips, and the clean channel is still good.

It can go either way, they are both good amps.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

I've tried both, and I own the YCV50. If you're going to play metal, I would definitely recommend the latter. With the boost on, it has more than enough gain to play most 80's metal. You can nail the Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets tone almost perfectly.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Btw, don't get a distortion pedal, bet an overdrive.
Both are excellent choices.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
About time. I'm sick of this goddamn starter amp I've had for like 2 years.
Traynor! Yay Traynor!

I have the 80watt 410. So wonderful. One day I'll pair it with a vox ac30/6tb, with my stereo rickenbacker, and that'll be a glorious day.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
I have a Hot Rod DeVille, but I do think a Traynor would be better for you in this situation

Unless you get a Deluxe with a Jekyll and Hyde pedal. Then it will blow the Traynor out of the water.
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
^ i also have the deville and it is the sex with pedals......i played an autotorium today with 1200 screaming high school kids and ti was the first assembly so you can imagine how loud it was.....volume only needed to be on 7-8
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
yea how good is the jekyll and hyde at acting like extra channels to a clean amp?
im really looking at alot of new options, and im undecided between getting something like a genz benz el diablo or a great clean amp + jekyll and hyde + eq as extra 'channels'
dude id get the deluxe because of its versitlity, yes it will rock if you put the right pedals on it. it takes pedals great.
Quote by HomerHitter
I have a Hot Rod DeVille, but I do think a Traynor would be better for you in this situation

How so?

Quote by redsox193
dude id get the deluxe because of its versitlity, yes it will rock if you put the right pedals on it. it takes pedals great.

I am concerned with versatility. Can the traynor really do fenderish cleans and marshallish distortions?
Quote by mikeman

I am concerned with versatility. Can the traynor really do fenderish cleans and marshallish distortions?

The cleans are fenderworthy, however. The amp is voiced Britishly. Meaning its like.. a British fender, good cleans, but different voicing.

It is marshally but a bit brighter toned. I like it. If you put up the bass a little and turn down the mids it gets nice and dark like a marshall (And it's mids are marshall like.. I need mine at 4.. there are ALOT of mids.)