Since shred is so theory intensive and often requires formal training of music theory; reading music would obviously give some kind of advantage ... so do most shredders like Vai, Yngwie, Satch learn to read music... or can they do without it??
I would hope so...
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

yep basically they all do. I know for a fact Vai and Petrucci do, because you cant graduate Berklee without being able to read music, and malmsteen can because he transcribed classical tunes into sheet music. Im not sure about satriani.
Tool kicks ass
Last edited by Arkane at Aug 18, 2006,
Marty can't, I'm most sure of it.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
I'm pretty sure most can, I mean tabs weren't always so popular so they must have read music at one time or another.
I have nothing to put in here.
Well, what i know about Yngwie is that her sister plays classical guitar, thats where he got his 1st thing going on (besides watching Hendrix died on tv). And yeah, given that her sister plays classical, most likely she had some music pieces on bach, vivaldi and whatnot lying around the house.

Hmmm, Satch...i think he said something in "The Satch Tapes" but im not quite sure or remember it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 18, 2006,
if you want to be good, learn to read music. You'll rule the world.
Tool kicks ass
There are very few shredders that can't read music and the people who can't are probably just bordering on shred music (such as Eric Johnson).
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
^i doubt eric can't read.

satch can read cuz he studied in berklee and bout those new speed-pickers like tiago and the other bedroom guitarists i donno if they can read or not but i doubt they can.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
The one's you listed can, in fact one of Vai's on-stage "moves" was to sight read music that was handed to him from the audience. John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, and all the rest can read music
hue
Eric can read it, but he's desperately slow at it according to himself.

I can read, but I can't sight read. Not because I haven't tried, but because my eyes are damaged and I can't focus quick enough to be able to do it.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Didn't most of the above-named, big-time shredders grow up in a time where most of what u learned was by ear?

I'm sure that's how Yngwie picked up most of the pieces he knows...
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
yes, there wasn't a readily-available-tab-of-any-song-imaginable site back then

man, tabs have made guitarists so lazy
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by apocalypse13
Marty can't, I'm most sure of it.

marty can't read sheet music? i figured he could, maybe not face-reading but i've heard most of his stuff has a lot of classical influence,
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join