I reckon Aeolian out of those two, heck, out of the lot!. I think it's the b6 that does it. I know phrygian and locrian also have the b6, but they just don't have the same sadness as Aeolian. Dunno why.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
That's awesome...And I was right!!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
phrygian too.... melodic minor as well
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Harmonic minor is certainly up there, although there are different types of 'sad', which would require different musical motifs, eh?

Slurgi
Dorian in my oppinion, and use some Lydian to build tension, so good with that #4...
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by psychodelia
D minor is the saddest of all keys.

lol. i was gonna say that.

Lick my love pump.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Quote by Night_Lights
phrygian too.... melodic minor as well

I never thought Phrygian sounded sad, it has an exotic kind of sound for me.

You can make some pretty sad sounds with Lydian, which has recently become my favorite mode ever.
I always found Phrygian to be sad, although it depends a lot on the backing chords.
Scales don't have emotion. The saddest song I've ever heard was in lydian.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
it isnt neccesarily the scale that has the sadness, its how you use it..with some it is easier than others. Another thing is that i find it much easier to express an emotion with a chord progression rather than a solo, unless you are at the climax of the song. Take "mouthful of cavities" by Blind Melon for example..it is in a minor key (? i dont remember very well). Very sad song. Notice how many metal songs are written in minor scales. They arent always sad songs, nor do they make you feel sad.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build