Heya, I'm thinking of getting into the whole shred thing for a while, been learning sweeps for about a month now, and feels like I've almost got it under control Anyway, that's not really the problem for me. Actually, its the parts that require alternate picking at high speeds rather than sweeping that are giving me some problems (for example, the fast run in the sweet child o' mine solo) I can play it, i've got the pattern and the timing down, but I'd have to play that whole fast picking part like 4-5 times continuously before I can get it up to speed/get all the notes to ring. Then if i stop playing it for like 10 minutes and come back, i'd have to 'warm up' that part again to get the dexterity up. It gets annoying especially when i play the whole song and get to that bit, and half the notes don't ring, but at that point, I restart from the beginning of the solo, and it works out fine....if you guys get what I'm saying. Any ways to improve this? i've been working on this for a week or two and that 'warm up period' during those fast runs has been getting pretty annoying.
Play along with a metronome. Start slow and work your way up in 8-10 bpm increments until you can play at full speed all the time. If you try, you'll see that it works.
those licks are great duggy. does any1 have ne other pages with licks or runs o them?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Quote by CorkyMcDoogle
Play along with a metronome. Start slow and work your way up in 8-10 bpm increments until you can play at full speed all the time. If you try, you'll see that it works.

Thats the best thing to do right there. Id keep it at 5bpm increments though.
ohh k, thanks for the help guys, I'll give it a go actually I WAS using a metronome for a bit but gave it up because at that speed I couldn't really tell if I was on time or not. I'll slow down and try it again though

and thanks for the licks duggyrocks
i use increments as small as 2-3 bpm, and if i reach a speed where i can't play it cleanly, i'll drop the metronome about 20 bpm and repeat - little tip from Speed Mechanics
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.