Here is the custom Carvin I'm thinking of ordering. Tell me what you guys think.

Strat shape alder body, maple neck and fretboard, medium jumbo frets, single coil pickup in neck and middle position with a humbucker in the bridge (with coil tapping), wilkinson bridge with tremolo, straplocks, locking tuners

Sound clips are here: http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/ Click Bolt.

It'll look like a strat with this finish but the pickguard to the right of it and a maple fretboard:

Should come to around 900 USD

Lemme know what you guys think.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Last edited by Viruk at Aug 18, 2006,
Ehm, not bad I guess...

But, fixed bridge with tremolo?
for a custom carvin, its definitely not in the top 10 ive seen. If you are into it, i guess thats all that really matters
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
just buy a american strat. come on, u just basically said all these info that is just like a fender guitar.....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
I listened to the sound clips and I honestly can say that the bridge sounded pretty bad. I think that maybe the tremolo moves the saddles.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
My bad about the bridge, I meant a wilkinson bridge with tremolo.

Sadly there's no sound clip of the bridge pickup coil tapped.

just buy a american strat. come on, u just basically said all these info that is just like a fender guitar.....

Pay $350+ more for something with less features? Why?
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
I'm from Canada and I can't order from musiciansfriend, american strats are 1200 minimum in the store. They also don't come with the features I want (locking tuners, straplocks, pickups with coil tapping).

Check out my recordings
you can get way more from carvin for 900 usd...unless prices went up since i bought my stuff
Yeah, the Bolt is like $600 American stock, but I would rather get it than an American Strat because even if it is the same or a little more, its custom made. Also, it is a VERY nice guitar. My father just got the DIY kit that features the same stuff, except for the bridge is just single coil and it is great. Its not the greatest Carvin, but still a very nice one; go for it man.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Because its basically supposed to be a Strat and that's what Strats are made out of.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Actually, most if not all are alder.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

I already have a LP which is mahogany and I figured alder would sound best with single coils, though I'm not entirely sure since I don't have any experience with them. Got any other suggestions of wood types?

Check out my recordings
Keep with the alder. If people didn't like the sound of Fender Strats, do you think they would be doing so well? Just keep it as is man, its fine.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Hey do you know what these two options mean:

On/Off switch for optional humbucking bridge pickup $ 10.00 5.00
phase switch for humbucker $ 20.00 10.00

and also, unfinished necks are faster right?

Carved Top Headstock $ 40.00 20.00
TH - Traditional headstock 3+3 tuners $ 40.00 20.00

^^

Which one of those options has all the tuners on one side?

Check out my recordings
I'd go for Ash.

I tried a lot of Strats before I bought mine, and the Ash ones ALL had better tone. More biting, generally more resonant, more middy.
Quote by Viruk
Hey do you know what these two options mean:

1. On/Off switch for optional humbucking bridge pickup $ 10.00 5.00
2. phase switch for humbucker $ 20.00 10.00

3. and also, unfinished necks are faster right?

4. Carved Top Headstock $ 40.00 20.00
5. TH - Traditional headstock 3+3 tuners $ 40.00 20.00

^^

Which one of those options has all the tuners on one side?

1. I don't recommend getting the humbucker, so that shouldn't be needed.
2. I totally forget what that is. Again, I don't recommend the humbucker.
3. Depends on what you like. Unfinished necks will fell smoother, but I like finished ones just because they look better.
4. That just means the headstock will be curved, like the CT6M's body.
5. If you want all in a row, don't check that box.

Hope this has helped.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

my favorite strat tone is definitely ash, and they are worth more (rare)

edit : i prefer the versatility of having the hummer in there myself. as far as finished vs. unfinished, its really another preference issue. Any person who says unfinished necks are "faster" is obviously confusing their own subjectivity with objectivity.

I find cleaning finished necks much easier. My PRS is finished, and my ibby is not.
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Last edited by KurrptSenate at Aug 18, 2006,
Hmm, interesting, I'll try out some ash strats and see if they sound better to me than alder.

If the 3+3 gets the LP type headstock and the traditional one gives the CT6M's how do I get just the one pictured on the bolt guitar? Do I check neither?

edit:

The reason I'm thinking of getting the humbucker is because it's only $10 more and has coil splitting anyway so wouldn't it be a waste to just get a single coil?

Check out my recordings
Alright, I sorta figured that. Single coil could be better anyways since I already have a LP with humbuckers. But I can't seem to get a good sound out of the bridge pickup alone on any guitars anyways. It's always so damn trebly.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Check out my recordings
Quote by Viruk
Hmm, interesting, I'll try out some ash strats and see if they sound better to me than alder.

If the 3+3 gets the LP type headstock and the traditional one gives the CT6M's how do I get just the one pictured on the bolt guitar? Do I check neither?

edit:

The reason I'm thinking of getting the humbucker is because it's only $10 more and has coil splitting anyway so wouldn't it be a waste to just get a single coil?

I guess you missunderstood. What I meant is the Carved Top headstock means the headstock has a carved top (duh). Look at the CT6m's BODY and see what I mean, it doesn't give it the same headstock, just same effect. If you want the headstock in the picture then don't check the box for the 3+3 headstock.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

i like the sound, but strat shaped guitars are starting to bore me.
Sucking up to moderators since 1991
Fuck It All And Fucking No Regrets

Member number 14 of metallica mensa