I'm new to this forum and the guitar so I'm hoping this is an elementary question that can be easily answered. On November Rain, the Slash solos transition from note to note very smoothly.

I know this can be done with hammer ons and pulloffs, but you can't really do that up and down the neck without moving your hand. How does he maintain a tone while moving his left hand? Every note seems slurred into the next so that there is a constant tone being played through out the solos. Is this an effect? Is this as a result of a pedal or wah or is he just that good and smooth?

I haven't been playing very long, but parts of this solo are manageable to play for me, but I lose the sustain when I go to fret up and down the neck outside of a pulloff.

What's the scoop?
listen to it live....

it sounds like that on the album because it was recorded in a studio.

if your good you can play it live and it sound smooth though. i had no problem with it. the outro part is alot harder then it sounds though. the solos in the song are ez.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
i dont think slash uses any effects on november rain, but watching him live, i saw him have the pickup selector in between bridge and neck. also, i think he puts the neck tone down to 0. i could be wrong though. as for being smooth, i guess that just comes with practice. slash does use a lot of bends and thats another reason it might sound smooth.
That makes sense and I figured that probably was the case. I also figured it would clean up with some practice. Nobody taught me that patience was a virtue, though...
slash uses no effects....the distortion is is produced straight from a marshall silver jubilee...and the lead boost is from a mxr 10 band eq. he uses alot of reverb to...the jubilee head has it built in but i'm sure he probably uses a rack mounted reverb...who knows.

on that song and most of his slower songs (knockin on heavens door...estranged) he uses the neck pickup with the tone rolled all the way back. also known as the "lady" tone. clapton orginiated i think.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals