Okay, this is a dumb question, but I'm new, so...
Anyway, I'm interested in looking at the effect that Peter Frampton uses...also Joe Perry on Sweet Emotion, Joe Walsh on Rocky Mountain High, etc...I think it's called a voice box, but when I looked that up on Musician's Friend, I cam eup with nothing. Is it called something else? How much do they usually cost?
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
it's called a talk box

zakk wylde uses them too

look them up on MF
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
i think you mean talk box. voice boxes are those things that people put against their throat when they arent able to speak or have throat cancer...
jerry cantrell uses one too.....theyre kind of expensive....like 150-200+
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
i thought a voice box was something that's naturally in your throat?

meh oh well

yeah, they are rather expensive, and what's this i've heard about them not being safe?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
oh...well then i dont know what those cool things that people with throat cancer have.....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Ah...talk box. Looked it up, found four on MF. Yopu're right, kindof pricey, but no more than any quality pedal from what I've seen. Danelectro puts out a cheaper version, too. I don't plan on performing or anything, I just screw around, but it'd be a fun effect to play with when I've got some extra cash. Thanks!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
okay, you're welcome =]!
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
the danelectro talk box isnt expensive but im not sure how good it is, i heard that some talk boxes can screw up your amp, but idk
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
it can mess up the amp if you switch it on and off in the middle of playing. my dad blew his amp along time ago doing this. so now he just runs it off a separate head and uses an a/b box
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
ooo... yeah i heard that a lot of people run it through amp, i guess tahts why hah
Um, I dont know jackshit about talk boxes, so would anybody shed some light on this?
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
if uve ever heard the song "do you feel like we do (live)"-by peter frampton he has like 4 minute long talkbox solo, but anyways its like this effect pedal that his this tube i think its made outta like vinyl or something and it runs from the effect unit up a mic and u put it either near your mouth or in it, and u like shape your throat to like wut kinda "vocal sound" u want to make and you play notes on ure guitar to like change pitch and stuff i guess.... i hope i described that right
Nope, still vague, but thanks for the effort.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
lol ok... go here it goes a lil more in depth
http://www.blamepro.com/talkboxA.htm
Last edited by C.C. Deville at Aug 19, 2006,
ok in short its the back of a horn with a tube on it. this just gives the effect like if you were to put ur mouth around a speaker
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Joe Walsh didn't do "Rocky Mountain High," that was John Denver.

That I know of there are four companies making talkboxes.

Dunlop makes the Heil Talkbox nowadays. They're around $170.
Rocktron make the Banshee Talkbox. They're about $145
Danalectro' Free Speech is cool because it plays through the guitar's amp, meaning you don't need a mic and amp for it. About $120
And finally, Framptone. They're probably the bast ones out there, as they should be because they're $400. I'm gonna see one used tonight.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
I have an effect called "humanizer" on my BOSS ME-8, and it can make all the vowels sounds and combinations.