Hey guys,

A big time Newbie here. I need some big time advise on some question regarding what and how to purchase a guitar and amp. First of I have never played a guitar before but have been in love with it for most of my life. After seeing my friend play his, I said to myself DAMIT I?m going to learn to play. I?m 29 so I don?t know if I?m too old to learn but going to give it a shot. I don?t want to spend much but maybe around $300.00 CND for both guitar and amp so I need to get as much bang form my buck. I have done some research and I have come down to these guitars:

Affinity Fat Strat Squire
Epiphone G-310
Epiphone LP Special II
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Ibanez GRX20
Ibanez GAX30

I want a guitar that I can possibly upgrade its components later on.

As for an amp I?m looking for an inexpensive practice amp. Also I?m unclear what is more important to a Newbie an amp or the guitar. I want a good low-end guitar but I?m thinking that the amp would be more important as I train my ear I need an amp that has good sound. So what?s more important to a Newbie an amp or a guitar?

Now where to purchases the guitar and amp from. I live in Toronto Canada so unfortunately most of the online stores are US and I think that most retail stores in Toronto?s prices are not as good as online stores. What about e-bay? I see some sellers on e-bay selling brand new guitars that have some finishing defects. They claim that these defects are only cosmetic and do not effect the sound of the guitar. Should I buy used? So may questions so I?ll stop here.

BTW the style I would like to learn to play is GNR, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath basically Hard Rock but basically every type. I love guitar solos so that?s what I?m aiming for. I know it will take me many years to master this but that?s the fun of it.

Cheers
Bill P
Last edited by BillPana at Aug 18, 2006,
for guitar i dunno what you shud do but for amps, get a line 6:spider 2 15 or 30 watt, awsem amp wit lots of effects built in and ****.
You must sacrifice a baby llama to the sun gods.
and for stores, go to long and mcquade
You must sacrifice a baby llama to the sun gods.
I would say guitar and amp are equally important. Many cheap practise amps have a harsh, trebley tone, which isnt very nice and wont give you the tones you want. I would say split your amp budget between a small amp and a distortion pedal.

As for where to buy a guitar, dont order one online. I did once and regretted it badly. Dont buy a guitar you havent personally played. Get into the stores, look around.

Out of your selected guitars, i would recommend the Epiphone LP Special II. You can upgrade the pickups, and because its an Epiphone itll be much easier to find replacements and upgrades.

Let me know if it helps
Last edited by richwatkinson at Aug 18, 2006,
DON'T get the spiders

since you're a beginner, you should get an amp series called the "roland cube"

look it up

as for a guitar, i think a guitar would be more important because if you want to become a shredder you should worry about skill first THEN tone

so if i were starting out just like you...hmm...get one of those ibanezes and the roland cube and lessons [THEY REALLY HELP]
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Quote by BillPana
Hey guys,

A big time Newbie here. I need some big time advise on some question regarding what and how to purchase a guitar and amp. First of I have never played a guitar before but have been in love with it for most of my life. After seeing my friend play his, I said to myself DAMIT I?m going to learn to play. I?m 29 so I don?t know if I?m too old to learn but going to give it a shot. I don?t want to spend much but maybe around $3000.00 CND for both guitar and amp so I need to get as much bang form my buck. I have done some research and I have come down to these guitars:

Affinity Fat Strat Squire
Epiphone G-310
Epiphone LP Special II
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Ibanez GRX20
Ibanez GAX30

I want a guitar that I can possibly upgrade its components later on.

As for an amp I?m looking for an inexpensive practice amp. Also I?m unclear what is more important to a Newbie an amp or the guitar. I want a good low-end guitar but I?m thinking that the amp would be more important as I train my ear I need an amp that has good sound. So what?s more important to a Newbie an amp or a guitar?

Now where to purchases the guitar and amp from. I live in Toronto Canada so unfortunately most of the online stores are US and I think that most retail stores in Toronto?s prices are not as good as online stores. What about e-bay? I see some sellers on e-bay selling brand new guitars that have some finishing defects. They claim that these defects are only cosmetic and do not effect the sound of the guitar. Should I buy used? So may questions so I?ll stop here.

BTW the style I would like to learn to play is GNR, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath basically Hard Rock but basically every type. I love guitar solos so that?s what I?m aiming for. I know it will take me many years to master this but that?s the fun of it.

Cheers
Bill P

holy **** mate is this a typo
YAMAHA Pacifica 112 is a versatile guitar and great for beginners... but you might wanna buy another guitar after while because you'll be bored of it when you reach new level of skills on playing guitar.
As for your age, your never too old to start learning.
Im 23 and i started last december. My dad was 48 when he started learning.

As for the spider, i don't know why everyone gives it bad ratings. I have the 15watt spider II and its pretty decent. Has a nice clean channel and works great when i throw a pedal in the mix. or i use one of the preset INSANCE channels and mix it up a bit to get some dirty overdriven guitar sounds. Really cool and sounds great with Pinch Harmonics.

I would definetly try the Roland Cube though. the cube 60 is really nice but pretty expensive. Stay the heck away from the Fender 15g though.
my Fender 15G works fine bro and i've had it for a year and a half

DE-DE-EDIT: my suggestion would be the Fat Strat and he Roland Cube but i think you should save up and get a low end $300 Fender instead
YES I'M THE GUY WHO GOT HIS PENIS STUCK IN HIS ZIPPER!!

Member #17 of "I Survived UG Pwned Day" Club

Member #59 of the Alter Bridge Rocks Club

Member #3 of the Boston Red Sox Fan Club

Member #2 of the "4chan.org Sucks Balls" Club
Quote by De-De-Dee
my Fender 15G works fine bro and i've had it for a year and a half

DE-DE-EDIT: my suggestion would be the Fat Strat and he Roland Cube but i think you should save up and get a low end $300 Fender instead

Its not that the fender 15g doesn't work, its that there are WAY better practice amps out there for the same price as the fender 15g.

Also, if you are going to be doing any kind of rock, the 15g is not really the best amp to do the job.
Quote by koikomoru
Its not that the fender 15g doesn't work, its that there are WAY better practice amps out there for the same price as the fender 15g.

Also, if you are going to be doing any kind of rock, the 15g is not really the best amp to do the job.

you raise a good point my friend
YES I'M THE GUY WHO GOT HIS PENIS STUCK IN HIS ZIPPER!!

Member #17 of "I Survived UG Pwned Day" Club

Member #59 of the Alter Bridge Rocks Club

Member #3 of the Boston Red Sox Fan Club

Member #2 of the "4chan.org Sucks Balls" Club
I'd say for a newbie the guitar is more important. The amp is most of your tone, but honestly, you gotta love the feel of your first guitar, or you won't be as committed.

So, I say Yamaha or Ibanez GRX guitar, and then a cheapo amp like a Micro Cube or something.

Just avoid:
Squier guitars
Fender practice amps
Line6 Spider amps
Anything called "Special"

Good luck, Bill!
^^^ that guy is a genious

listen to him
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Try a beginning level Ibanez or Agile guitar, with a Roland Cube/Micro Cube amp. Remember Line 6 = BAD. Unless it's a Flextone or Vetta.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Thanks for all the replies all. I went to long and mcquade and showed the salesman my list of guitars. He showed my a LP Special 2 and Affinity Strat Squire. He recomended the a marshall amp think it was the MG10CD also said the VOX amps where good as well. The LP Special 2 looked cool told me it had low action which will help me learn faster. But it seems form your posts that I should take a good look at the Ibanez and Aglie line. I think I will definatily get a Mico Cube for the amp. Seems to have gotten good reviews.

Thanks agian for the help.

Cheers
Bill
Ok I own a Fender Strat, and a Squier Strat.

The Squier is NOT ****.
To qoute myself from another thread:
Quote by AdayTripper
I own both. MIM Strat, and a Squier Strat.

I use them both roughly the same amount.
I've also had the Squier a year longer. Let me say MY Squier is built like a tank. The Fender has had more problems.....

That being said...They're both good, but the Fender is obviously better.
Depends on how long you've been playing, and how much money you're willing to spend.

Playing awhile, and alittle extra cash? Fender.
Beginner - Moderate, not alot of cash? Squier.

It's true though. Some Squiers are a hit, and miss. Try out the ones at your local shop, and see which one plays, and sounds the best.

No matter what though DO NOT get a bullet. (Which you wont....just saying.)

Be sure you have a decent amp too. A Squier through a good amp is better than a Fender through a ****ty one.

That being said I recommend one of these amps:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958
^Awesome! I own this amp myself. It's great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Battery-Powered-Amp-with-COSM-and-Effects?sku=480196
I've heard good things about this amp aswell.

Then save up for a nice pedal.

EDIT: If you're willing to spend more go with anything higher than an Agile LP-2500.

If you're as old as you say you are. Then you won't go wrong with any of this. You can just save up to upgrade later.

Happy to help.
Last edited by AdayTripper at Aug 20, 2006,