Well today i aksed my friend if we could go into town and go to musi stores. He said sure. At 14.10 i left and cmae home around 19.30.

The first store:
Well there was loads of people here and they don't wnat you to be too loud there. Ill review the stuff i tried:
Epi Dot: Well felt nice, neck was a bit slow. Very nice sound, all round a decent guitar.
Epi Sheraton: Alot of an improvment from the Dot, soudned more or less the same thorugh the Vox AD15VT i tried them in (but it was very low volume), but the neck was alot smoother and faster and the guiatr was alot better worked out and felt very smooth. If i get a semi hollow this will be it.
Epi G-400: Just held for a short while, was actully quite heavy (heavier then most SG's).
OLP Stingray: My buddy played this (he's a bassiust, but plays keyboarda dn some bass in our band), socned pretty decent.
Epi EB-3 SG bass: My buddy fell in love with thius one, got awesome sounds out of it. He's next bass will be this one. I tried it and it was really nice.
We also tried some keyboards (in their new keybaord section).

Then we went to the next shop:

Charvel EVH Strat: Tried very shortly unplugged. Felt nice.
Gibson Les Paul Standard: This store has laods of them, this one was a cherry sunburst, ive played it numeros times (since its their best LP).
American Strat: felt nice, about the same as my MIJ Strat.
I tried these two in a:
Mesa Boogie Lonestar (the 100/50 watt version),
Les Paul: Soudned awesome, very Texas style (liek Billy Gibbons). The cleans on this amp are just to die for, id love to have one of these for clean sounds. Really nice bluesy overdrive to. Also got an amazing Keith Richards sound. I tried this amp farily long, it was really nice and i also got to pull upp the volume a bit, it was just a great amp.
Strat: Nice bluesy cleans, but took me mroe tweaking to find as ncie sound (while the Les Paul was just plug and play). It soudned really muddy with distortion on the Strat.
Generally it soudned alot better with the Les Paul.

Ibanez SZ520: Really nice guitar, fast neck. OVerall it made a great impression on me.
went into a Marshall TSL 60: Well the TSL was decent. It soudned like a JCM900 but ith more gain. All of the kknobs really confused me though.

Well tehn we tried soem more keybaords and a Roland drum set (really expensive, with twin pedal).

Next shop:
I wanted to try an amp here, an amp i ahave been reccomended: a Laney VC-15. This one was not in teh testing room. I asked a guy called Hasse (which is this shop like uber pwnage guy) if i could take it into the testing room and he said go ahead. It was really light. This store dont stock up on Gibsons, so i chekced there used ones and found a:
'62 Gibson Les Paul Junior (meaning SG shape) which had been rerouted for two humbuckers and had an extra tone knob and a volume knob. This one was extremly light (liek as if it was filled with air), compared to the Epi. It sounded great and was extremly easy to play.
Laney VC-15: What cna i say? Wow. I thought it was gonna be good, but it just blew me away. The clenas were relaly nice and the distortion was great. Anything from keith Richards just brekaing up to Tony Iommi gain. Thats exactly what i need. It was easy to find a good tone and i tried this for a long time. This amp was just amazing. This si gonna be my next amp, heck im skipping a semi hollow and saving money for this and getting the rest for my bday (isntead of an 18 watter). I jsut fell in love with this amp, and Hasse said he is in love with it to. My friend though it was an über pwnage amp!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Great write-up, Gabe!

BTW, I was at a store today, and I totally agree about the VC-15. Really amazing amp.
no washburns? pfft, weak.

ill be in hollywood later today, if i can ill hit the sam ash, guitar center, carvin, mesa and second sam ash stores that are all a stones throw away.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I thought you were saving up for an electric hollow body?

(i shall read the entire post later, im tired and lazy)
Quote by goodbydresden
I thought you were saving up for an electric hollow body?

(i shall read the entire post later, im tired and lazy)

I was, but when i tried the VC-15 i fell in love with it. Im gonna save up some money for it and use the rest from my birthday in october.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
I was, but when i tried the VC-15 i fell in love with it. Im gonna save up some money for it and use the rest from my birthday in october.

gabe, didnt i warn you those vc15's were brilliant little ****ers
michgt get one myself
yeah, you told me...thats like the 3rd person ive reccommended one , they got it lol

well worth the price tag, amazing amps.
if you want the best from it, aput in some mullards or harma tubes.
Haha dam you getting ANOTHER amp! How much are those things. When I tried a Laney tube amp, I wasnt very impressed, but it may have been a different one. Guess I will have to try it.
the other day i was at my local shop and i tried one of those mini ibanez RGs haha thier like for 5 year olds or something, thier actually not that awfully bad just hard to play cause thier small
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Haha dam you getting ANOTHER amp! How much are those things. When I tried a Laney tube amp, I wasnt very impressed, but it may have been a different one. Guess I will have to try it.

Well my dad and i wnat to play togheter, so we were gonna get an 18 watter, but ive changed my mind and are going for the Laney VC-15
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

How does the VC15 compare to other smaller Laneys, like the TT20, LC15 etc? I love hte sound of my LC15, but it's broken down on me twice in 18 months, costing about £50 to fix each time. I'd definately consider a VC15 or VC30 if they were a little more reliable, they sound like they have a little more gain as well, which is alsways nice!
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
^Well i havent treid the TT20.

But i have tried an LC-15R. I think the VC-15 is alot better. More vintage tone, nice cleans and drive from Keith Richards to Tony Iommi. I was extremly impressed by it (and i had tried a Mesa Boogie Lonestar earlirer that day).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I tried a VC30 not so long ago, and it's overdrive channel was just pure sex, the cleans didn't impress me that much tho.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
nice, gabe!

robmarsden: i haven't tried the lc15, but if it's the same as the lc30, i'd say the lc has more gain than the vc's... but then again, the lc15 is only single channel...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Well id say this:
Classic rock/ blues: VC-15
Over that: LC-15R
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Does the VC15 just do classic/vintage stuff? I'm looking at the 15 or the 30 watter for stuff like The Strokes and the Zutons. Do you know the tone I mean? I'm trying to get a few clips of the tone I'm after up on my dMusic to make it easier for me to tell people the tone I'm after.

The problem is I find it hard to describe the kind of tone these bands have. I mean it's not Blues, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, and not really Indie. Garage rock, maybe?

And man I've gotta get out and try these amps. Damn work.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Aug 20, 2006,
^ yeah, i think it'd do those tones. it's kind of voxy in character, the lc is more fendery.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SamDking
Does the VC15 just do classic/vintage stuff? I'm looking at the 15 or the 30 watter for stuff like The Strokes and the Zutons. Do you know the tone I mean? I'm trying to get a few clips of the tone I'm after up on my dMusic to make it easier for me to tell people the tone I'm after.

The problem is I find it hard to describe the kind of tone these bands have. I mean it's not Blues, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, and not really Indie. Garage rock, maybe?

Well it can do teh Strokes. Garage rock should be great with a fuzz! what modern rock are you talking about?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by SamDking

I'd really say it'd perfect those bands (I've prob already mentioned this to you)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You need my permission to post spam.

I am the spam lord! *muahahhaha* *gaaak* Damn, I choked on my mint.

Laney amps FTW
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
carvin makes really good amps for the money. and of course the VC is voxish: it's a vox!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i think it'd do those tones. it's kind of voxy in character, the lc is more fendery.

Haha, The Strokes and The Zutons both use Fender Devilles (with OD's) for what it's worth Which is why I'm confused..

Quote by R_H_C_P
I'd really say it'd perfect those bands (I've prob already mentioned this to you)

Yeh I know dude, you've mentioned to me on more than one occasion But it helps to play the field on gathering opinions

Anyway I've now got a tone taster of The Strokes on my dmusic (http://samdking.dmusic.com) listen to it quick tho because I may be conflicting with their copyright rules It's a good example of the kind of tone I'm looking for.

I hope to try out the VC sometime this week. So yay...
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by tubab0y
and of course the VC is voxish: it's a vox!

no it's not, it's a laney...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^He mixed it up with an AC-30. Not to strange though, they sound and look very similar.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ yeah.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?