I am trying to do harmonics by letting my the edge of my thumb brush the string when I pick it but the string always dies. I cannot even to a simple harmonic by laying my finger on the string very light and then pick it...whenever i touch the string in anyway it dies out.
well I have a fender squire strat and like at least a 20 yr fender amp. I cranked the gain up on the amp and both tone knobs on the fender
, tried fretting an a on the 2d fret third string and then touch the 14th fret bar on same string , add some bend, and i can hear the squeal but its toooo low.....
for pinch harmonics (brushing the string w/ thumb) you need to hit the string at a harmonic spot to get the sound. Start picking/pinching close to the fretboard and work your way towards the bridge, you'll see where they are. You should be able to get at least 3 clean pinch harmonics at different pitches. They are not evenly spaced out however. Distortion will help quite a bit for these.

For natural harmonics, lightly place your finger over the raised fret itself, not over the place where you would normally put your finger to fret the note. You should not need distortion for the major natural harmonics (5th, 7th, 12th frets)
Last edited by black_box at Aug 19, 2006,
new string would help
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Quote by Unreal T
well I have a fender squire strat and like at least a 20 yr fender amp. I cranked the gain up on the amp and both tone knobs on the fender
, tried fretting an a on the 2d fret third string and then touch the 14th fret bar on same string , add some bend, and i can hear the squeal but its toooo low.....

what pickup do you use?