Now, before some mod moves this to the accessories thread, hear me out.

I am looking to buy a metronome to work on speed.
Which one would you shredders recommend and why?
My price range is $50 or lower.

Mods: The reason I asked this here is because I would get the advice of the shredders of UG, they probably know the most about this subject, wouldn't you agree?
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
ok
w/e
but i use just a korg i think it is metronome
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
To be honest, I've been playing quite a few years and developed an accidental shredding style pretty early, but I never used a metronome. I'm not sure if I just felt more confident in my own sense of timing that I never used one, but if you practice playing songs (even if they aren't shredders) a bunch first, a lot of the time you develop that sense of timing pretty fast. Or, if you have a song you like, just shred with it playing the background to help keep you in time.

Any metronome I've ever played to just has some variation of a ping or click going, usually with an emphasis on the 1 beat. Other then this, I'm not sure there is a metronome that will really help you shred any more then any other metronome, unless I'm behind on the times.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
There isn't really a special shredder kind of metronome

Ofcourse, the best you can get is a drum machine or a sampler, I have a drum machine and a regular tuner/metronome I got for ?20 or so... Does what it should.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Revalk
To be honest, I've been playing quite a few years and developed an accidental shredding style pretty early, but I never used a metronome. I'm not sure if I just felt more confident in my own sense of timing that I never used one, but if you practice playing songs (even if they aren't shredders) a bunch first, a lot of the time you develop that sense of timing pretty fast. Or, if you have a song you like, just shred with it playing the background to help keep you in time.

I wouldn't recommend that, you may not notice it but you're timing WILL, unless you're some musical genius, be worse off than if you had a metronome. And also without one you'll be more prone I think to just go as fast as you can, which isn't smart.
To the question at hand, any metronome will do, I have a simple $15 one that works fine. Sometime you can get a drum machine, but for now just get any metronome you see in a local store, it should be just fine.
I have nothing to put in here.
I've been saving up for a drum machine, I've just been using online metronomes, until I can get one. :'(
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

What drum machines would you guys recommend?
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
I paid about 50$ for the BOSS DB-60 "Dr. Beat". It can do some odd time sigs, and it has a stopwatch, a reference note pitch, and a couple other doodads. Don't get it if you're just going for a basic metronome, but it's good if you like progressive stuff and soloing in weird changes.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
Quote by Scorzerci
What drum machines would you guys recommend?

I picked up a Boss DR880 on half price a month ago.

Another very good and pretty old one, if you can find it secondhand or so, the Yamaha QY70.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Righteous
I wouldn't recommend that, you may not notice it but you're timing WILL, unless you're some musical genius, be worse off than if you had a metronome. And also without one you'll be more prone I think to just go as fast as you can, which isn't smart.
To the question at hand, any metronome will do, I have a simple $15 one that works fine. Sometime you can get a drum machine, but for now just get any metronome you see in a local store, it should be just fine.

For a lot of people you are probably correct, but I have a bad habit of playing any I learn way too many times. I'd say my timing as far as shredding goes is pretty good. It'd be hard to say whether I'd be better off with a metronome, as I've been playing for enough years that any negative effect has probably been removed from playing other styles and stuff. I *used* to just go as fast I can, but pretty quickly it bothered me when I did that enough to sit down and learn to play 16th triplets or whatever was appropriately fast.

I forgot about it when I replied, but I used to use guitar pro and just put down a very simple drum beat and then pick a simple string of notes and then set the loop for the beat on speed learner so the temp slowly gets faster. That's probably what did most of it.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

i have a Korg metronome and i hate it. It works fine i just hate using it, having to focus on an external source of noise is just a pain. I know it would probably help if i learned to use it, but im lazy. My only real speed problem is that i play some scales (like mixolydian mode) as triplets when im ascending in pitch, but i can not do that if i slow down. I haven't been playing shred styled music very long though, a few months maybe.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
The one on my fender GDEC amp goes to 30 bpm, but if yours doesn't, just play it... dunno how to explain but if you wanted 30bpm 16th notes, play 8th notes at 60bpm if that makes sense. That's what I do with my metronome that only goes to 40bpm.
I own a Korg and it seems to do the trick.

Quote by Witch-king
I own a Korg and it seems to do the trick.

No you don't.
i picked up a software thingy for guitar and it has it

ten points

if you wanna free one or w/e just download powertab and place in like fifty whole rests and make it repeat alot
If you want it slower, just put it at twice whatever your going for and count 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + instead of 1 2 3 4.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by Revalk
If you want it slower, just put it at twice whatever your going for and count 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + instead of 1 2 3 4.

Dude, I just said that, come on man.

Peace
My bad. I've just been reading stuff for a long time, and I skipped. I apologize.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by Revalk
My bad. I've just been reading stuff for a long time, and I skipped. I apologize.

Don't worry, I still love ya man
i have a Korg MA-30 and it's perfect for any type of practice...i was going to get the Boss for about $50, but it was outrageous compared to this one which had all of the same features, and costs $20 less, not to mention i got a free set of strings
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.